cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my vDSL router...

Pyrii
Grafter

Moving my vDSL router...

I'm currently on FTTC Unlimited and have my Billion 7800N router by the BT Openreach modem. But with an ethernet lead to my server room via a single Cat 5e cable. I want to move this into the server room so that I can maybe reduce the bottleneck so that I can plug my server (HTPC storage/Samba/DLNA server) and other devices directly for better routing and not have to use my switch.
I keep remembering that people said that the length of the Ethernet cable from the modem to the router can affect the line speeds you get. But I don't understand why this is. Were they getting confused with the Phone cable?
Would it be possible to move my stuff into the spare room more or am I stuck with my boxes in the hallway?
6 REPLIES 6
ricke17
Grafter

Re: Moving my vDSL router...

I cannot comment on moving the router, but I have a 10m ethernet cable running from my router to the back of my TV which is plugged into a switch and my speeds haven't deteriorated.
Good luck!
Rick.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

According to IEE803.2u, 100BASE-TX will operate at 100Mbps full duplex over Cat 5 cable up to a maximum segment length of 100m.
The modem will never operate above 100Mbps so you're 'limited' to 100m between the modem and router, any longer and you 'may' suffer reduced speed.  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As others have said, there's no issue with moving the router, but there may also be little benefit unless you're using a 100Mb switch?
Best thing to do is to try it of course and see if it works for you...
Dezz
Dabbler

You could run a piece of Cat5 from the data extension connector in the wall socket to the server room (with a new socket) and then move all the boxes in there instead? I've done that with about 20 metres without a problem.
Pyrii
Grafter

Thanks for the help, the reason I asked is because having the router right next to the modem was just in the way. I also wanted to find a way to replace having a switch in my LAN by plugging my server directly into the router instead.
Electricity bills are going up to stupid, so gotta find ways to remove un-needed equipment.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Dezz
You could run a piece of Cat5 from the data extension connector in the wall socket to the server room (with a new socket) and then move all the boxes in there instead? I've done that with about 20 metres without a problem.

You may not have had a problem and most probably won't, but what's the point in moving the Modem? Should there be a problem at any time with the connection, then if the Modem is not in it's original location as install by OR, then that could lead to difficulties with OR. If you are going to do a run of Cat5 then you might just as well do what Pyrii had in mind and run the Ethernet from the Modem to the desired location for any routers/switches etc.
As has been mentioned, running the Ethernet connection over Cat5 upto 100m should be fine.