cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving master socket

scurra

Moving master socket

Currently our master socket is in an odd place, on an interior wall in a bedroom. I want to move the router (using a home hub with an integrated VDSL modem) into the living room which is directly underneath. Is it possible to have it moved - presumably plusnet would need to instruct openreach to do this, I can't just get in touch with them myself?
Anyone have experience doing this?
8 REPLIES 8
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Moving master socket

you cannot deal with openreach directly, it has to go thru your line provider.
there will be a cost to do this what you would have to pay, so bear that in mind.
shure
Grafter

My master socket used to be in the hall but last year when i had an engineer out because of some ADSL problems he offered to move it somewhere more convenient for free.  Only cost me some tea and biscuits which I thought was a pretty good investment.!
chenks76
All Star

difference is the OR engineer was already on site and had been paid to attend.
you won't get someone to come out to solely move the master socket without an attendance fee being paid.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Openreach may move the socket on an engineering visit if you ask nicely but you cannot raise a case to move the socket without a charge as Plusnet would automatically be charged by Openreach if they requested a master socket install.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I asked PN about this a couple of years ago but balked at the cost.........................................£100.00 +
scurra

I have just been quoted £156 for the first hour plus £60 for every additional hour... A bit more than I was hoping to pay.
I would have gone down the tea & biscuits approach but the engineer booked for my fibre install never showed up - plusnet ended up sending me an openreach modem to go with their router, but rather than use two boxes I have stuck with my old BT homehub.
I'm considering running some Cat 5 back out through the window frame where the BT line enters, down the front of the house and into the living room, terminating each end with an RJ11 connector and plugging the router in downstairs. Seems like a bit of a hassle but I can't really see another way of doing it.
Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You could consider contacting a local "ex BT" type engineer for advice & quote.Usually plenty advertising in local papers etc. Sure to be lot cheaper than BT. Even if you went via BT might be contractor such as Kelly who come to do job (might be wrong not sure if they send contactors for this sort of job). Had local  "ex BT" engineer move my mastersocket this prior to my fibre installation & had no problems. Though was moving my mastersocket from ridiculous position in hallway to an existing extension in spare room directly above. Home Hub 5 been working fine since had fibre installed.
Something to consider.
Smiley
chenks76
All Star

of course if you go down that line and something goes wrong then you'll likely to be even more out of pocket when BT come to fix it and see someone has moved the master socket.