cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house to a new build estate that is still being built.

ipubrich

Moving house to a new build estate that is still being built.

Hello I have FTTC unlimited with plusnet and am in contract for another year. 

I am moving house to a new build estate and I think I am the first person on my street to ask for FTTC. 

There is no worthwhile standard dsl product as it is a rural area.

I spoke to plusnet and they tell me I would have to buy my way out of my contract and that the only available service was FTTP which they don't do, although I do see plusnet as an FTTP provider when I search, I am confident FTTC exists in this estate.

There is one finished street on the estate and if I use their postcode I see 76 meg FTTC 20 up at zen.co.uk. 

I really don't want to have to leave (and pay for the privilege). Is there anything I can do to expedite / get online? The rest of the village uses it, the next street towards my street cab uses it. I am sure this is just a database thing. Please help?

7 REPLIES 7
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Moving house to a new build estate that is still being built.

Hi there,

We do offer FTTP, however currently only as part of a trial. If you're interested you can sign up for this at http://trials.plus.net

However, your account would need to remain active with us whilst the service is provisioned so you may need to order an ADSL/ADSL2+ product in the interim if there are any showing at www.dslchecker.bt.com that is.

Two things to note; make sure it's not FTTP On Demand that's available as this is not something we would provide due to the high cost, and it can take some time provision FTTP which is usually 1 to 2 months.

I hope this helps you but if you have any questions just let me know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Have you asked the builder what they are installing? They will know what type of wire or fibre they are building into the property.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ipubrich

My point is that it's a new estate. The first street to be finished has a slightly different post code and can get fibre. I am 50m away from it and the database says I can't. The database is wrong. How do we fix this please.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@ipubrich

How do you KNOW the database is at fault if you have not had confirmation from the builders as to which product they have contracted with Openreach to install in your new build?

The builders will work with Openreach to install a telecoms product and currently Openreach are pushing free FTTP installs to all new builds with over 32 houses to be built. So from the builders point of view, FTTP installs are very cost effective and Openreach wants more FTTP installs.

Just because a small part of the estate has been linked to an FTTC cabinet does not mean the whole estate would be. The first street maybe on an existing cabinet which is not suitable for the rest of the estate.

If the property still just has a plot number and general address details then @Anoush may be able to find out more. But using a postcode for a different property is not proof that your services will be the same. Even if it is 50m away.

Anyway I'll leave it to @Anoush to comment further as he did offer assistance.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ipubrich

It's currently a plot number with an assigned address if that helps. It'll exchange in around 3 or 4 weeks. Whilst I appreciate your point, it is highly unlikely that this site will have different connectivity to the next street. It's a rural area and a medium size development. I will speak to the builders about the connection however that won't help me here.

ipubrich

@Anoush 

I am fortunate to have colleagues that work for ISP's who have been on the openreach portal and checked that it is FFTC enabled.

It's connected to cabinet 13 on winsford exchange. Neither my new postcode or my neighbours postcode comes up correctly on any map so this is what leads me to believe there is a records issue. Is there anything you can do to assist with progressing this as I am happy with plusnet.

gold address reference is A15098554358
CSS database ref is MR

Does this help?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The database isn't at fault - it just doesn't know about your new house. It can also take time to up-date when it is given new information.

Until you're in a position to order a phone line (or at least enquire and your address appears on the system) you won't know for certain about what's available.

Brian