cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house shambles 2.0 Question #124747348

Kamran
Dabbler

Moving house shambles 2.0 Question #124747348

Moved to a new property, so called for address change and line activation at the new property. I was told that earliest date that an engineer visit can be arranged was 10th May, so I agreed for line deactivation at the old address and new line activation on same day i.e. 10th May. Later I received confirmation for 11th May (not 10th of May as agreed on the phone); anyway, booked day off work and engineer did turn up. 

On the day, he finished installing new faceplate and re-wired connection. He told me that his work was finished as he was there for line activation only and broadband would go live by midnight that day.

Next morning I checked the line and found that it was still not activated. It has dial tone but can't dial out. So called customer support and was told there is some fault on the line, I was also told that an order was placed for ADSL line - not for the fibre-optic I was originally on! The lady on the phone also said that the quickest way, for the switch, would be If let ADSL line activated first and then upgrade. Furthermore, an engineer visit was needed to finish the job. We agreed to a new engineer visit on16th of May.

Booked the 2nd day off of work and waited for the engineer - who didn't turn up! Since 1:00PM, I am on the phone/blindly transferred  with/to different customer services agents/department. 

While on the phone trying to resolve the issue and get a clearer picture, I also received an email stating that issue is on hold till 23rd May! When I asked one of your customer services agents about it, he said that a provisional booking is in place for 20th May! Both dates booked/provisionally booked without even consulting me! I asked this agent to find out exactly what is going on with the account - he promised to find out and ring me back in half an hour - this was over an hour ago and I still haven't heard anything back.

I hardly have any 3G coverage in my area and because of line activation shambles still have no clear idea for how long I will have to wait for broadband service to resume.

7 REPLIES 7
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Moving house shambles 2.0 Question #124747348

Hi Kamran, 

I'm sorry about all of this, it does seem there have been some issues, my main worry is about another engineer being needed as we should only need one for the phone, the Fibre engineer goes out but should only do external work.

Allow me a short bit of time and I'll be back with an update on what's happened and going to happen

Thanks for your patience. I've take a good look through all of this and can see what's happened, it does seem some information wasn't given to you which has caused further issues.

When you agreed the change of address, this was put in by the sales agent for the 10th as requested, when the agent submitted the order this was changed to the 11th, I'd assume the 10th was fully booked at that point as it is a live booking system but this should have been mentioned to you in all honesty.

This was linked to a Fibre order but due to records issues with BT wholesale, they cancelled the Fibre order which had to be replaced, a colleague replaced the phone portion first of all as this was cancelled due to the failed fibre order and once this had been committed to by Openreach, a broadband order was relinked to this, due to the way the product was noted on your account, the agent who placed this unfortunately did order ADSL service. I have passed this bit of feedback onto the manager of the sales agent as it should have been more clearly noted as a Fibre package you requested.

In regards to the multiple appointments, it seems the original engineer was unable to get the line active due to an external fault, an engineer was due out on the 12th to fix this and that work was completed, at this point a new appointment to visit your home was requested by Openreach, to which one of my colleagues booked for today, however checking with Openreach directly, they have noted it was for today but this is in for Friday.

As things stand we can leave this appointment for Friday to get you phone and ADSL service, then upgrade you to Fibre, or if Friday is not convenient please let me know and I'll get something booked in instead that suits you.

If you need anything at all please let me know and I'll make sure from here this is sorted with the utmost care.

Kamran
Dabbler

Seems like another 'no show' is on horizon. Will update again after 1:00PM. 

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Kamran,

Checking your account we are no longer in the provision process and this has been raised as a fault as the job was closed as completed. The engineers notes state they resolved the fault at 7PM last night, could you check the phone for me and let me know if things are fixed as they have asked us to confirm if this has resolved the issue.

I'll ask a faults colleague to take a further look into things as this has now moved outside my area of expertise Smiley

Kamran
Dabbler

Thanks Paul for the reply. The line is less noisy now but it appears to be still on ADSL! I am rather disappointed by the appalling communication (Plusnet) and utterly unprofessional attitude demonstrated by field staff (Openreach/Kelly Communications). If engineer/supplier worked on the line yesterday (bank holiday Monday) and finished the job without having to visit the property then  -

a) Why was the work not carried out earlier?

b) Once 'completed the job', why I was not informed? I didn't need to take the day off in that case (my 4th day off of work so far).

c) If an engineer did visit yesterday (on bank holiday Monday) and work was carried out by the supplier then Why I was not given the option when I was making an appointment 10 days ago? 

d) Since I still have not the service I placed the order for, why I should not cancel the order altogether?

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your response and the update on the line itself, the fault was related to the ADSL which an engineer was booked for, the Fibre doesn't require an engineer to come to you however.

Are you happy for me to close the fault as fixed in this instance if the noisy line is better now, if it's still not acceptable please let me know and I'll get Openreach to take another look.

When we book a fault we pick an appointment, external aspects can be checked beforehand however which means sometimes faults can be fixed before getting to you, in this case your fault was part of a larger fault affecting multiple lines, so was fixed as per the response time for that issue.

You are correct in stating you should have been advised about this, I've passed that information back to our faults guys as I'm not 100% sure on their process with picking up their tickets but it should have been checked for alterations before today's date.

In regards to getting the Fibre up and running, an order was placed on the 23rd to upgrade the line from ADSL to fibre, due to a low number of Fibre trained engineers this date was moved back to the 8th but an engineer is definitely assigned meaning on the 8th you will get the fibre service you should have

I have passed on feedback in regards to the agent you spoke to this morning as you were told that the engineer would still be round today when at that point Openreach had already confirmed from their end they believed the fault to be clear

Kamran
Dabbler

When we book a fault we pick an appointment, external aspects can be checked beforehand however which means sometimes faults can be fixed before getting to you, in this case your fault was part of a larger fault affecting multiple lines, so was fixed as per the response time for that issue.

The engineer/supplier worked on the line on 4 occasions prior to yesterday work. If a larger fault existed, then the knew a property visit was not necessary; and IF there were other 'external aspects' unique to the line then the supplier should have picked on that during previous 4 visits!

In regards to getting the Fibre up and running, an order was placed on the 23rd to upgrade the line from ADSL to fibre, due to a low number of Fibre trained engineers this date was moved back to the 8th but an engineer is definitely assigned meaning on the 8th you will get the fibre service you should have

Whoa! another appointment! 

I was in the impression that FTTC order was going live today, as per the message I received on 4:30pm, Monday 23 May 2016!

I've placed your fibre order for you and requested the 31/05/16. Once we receive confirmation of the date your service will go active we will will let you know.]

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You are correct in what you state, however due to the way the appointment systems work with Openreach, if their system asks for an appointment we must provide one, my issue with this is that the appointment was removed fairly quickly yet you were not informed of this, that's an issue our side rather than Openreach's

Today was the requested date, as we need to give 5 working days notice with the Fibre orders, following that they can(and do in most cases) get changed due to the availability of engineers, the 8th in this case being the soonest someone could go out, they will not need access to your property and this is an external appointment to the cabinet only