cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house, no fibre???

sturose
Grafter

Re: Moving house, no fibre???

I am not asking for any promises, I am asking for somebody to actually pick up the phone and contact whichever technical department deals with this and check for me.

The alternative is that I simply cancel my subscription with plusnet (Who I have been with for about 3 years BTW) and go with sky who could actually be bothered to check and have stated that they WILL supply me with fibre broadband!

It makes absolutely no difference to me whatsoever who provides my internet service but it seems that these days most companies don't give a damn about customer retention!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Can you PM me the full address and post code please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the PM.

I've checked the address records and unfortunately your new address is Silver Key.

Essentially:

Gold Key = Up to date records, orders can be placed straight away.
Silver Key = There has been a line there previously, but as it has not been active there for some time, a survey will be required upon placement of the phone order before confirming what additional work is required to provide a service and what services can be provided.

Bronze Key = No records available. Survey required.

Unfortunately as the address is silver key, we wouldn't be able to confirm fibre availability until after a phone order has been placed and a survey carried out.

I'm sorry to say it's not a simple case of just picking up the phone and contacting whichever department.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
sturose
Grafter

Oh heck, that sounds like a very complicated process.

OK well I am certainly not going to place an order for a telephone line on the chance that I may be able to have a high speed connection. Unfortunately I will have no choice but to terminate my service with plusnet and move over to Sky as they are the only ones who have stated that they can provide me with fibre optic services. No idea why it is so much different for each ISP.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

move over to Sky as they are the only ones who have stated that they can provide me with fibre optic services

but surely Sky just provide Fibre via FTTC over the BT network like all the others (except for Virgin). So either they know something PN don't or they're being economical with the truth...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's quite possible they're just making a guess based off a neighbouring addresses. But BT  records have no confirmed details for the address in question.

It's quite likely FTTC will be available based off the information held for neighbouring addresses, however it's unfortunately not something I'd be comfortable confirming at this stage, having done this in the past only to find for whatever reason FTTC is not available at 1 address in a row of many that do have it available.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
sturose
Grafter

It may well be that they are "being economical with the truth" but if they promise me a service and don't deliver then they will have broken the terms of the agreement so I have nothing to lose.

Other than that I have no alternative as there is no cable supply in my area. I would imagine that dropping from 76Mb fibre to a standard  broadband with 12-15Mb connection would be rather noticeable, particularly with the amount of devices we have connected at the same time.

@HarryB I fully understand what you are saying about not wishing to commit, I am sure you also can understand my frustrations though when it does not appear logical to have a street full of houses all with fibre available to them and just 1 house in the middle that can not have the same service.

Dropping speed by such a huge amount will have a drastic impact on our household. I have 2 teenage sons who use the internet daily for various tasks on PC's, laptops, game consoles etc, we also have smart TVs connected, mobile phones, TV boxes like android and now TV. That is all before we get visitors who want the wifi password!!!!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I do completely understand your frustrations and although I appreciate it would make no logical sense for 1 house to have no FTTC availability when houses either side of it do have FTTC availability, I've seen it happen (And spent months chasing it up with our suppliers to eventually be told the records are correct)

@sturose wrote:

I would imagine that dropping from 76Mb fibre to a standard  broadband with 12-15Mb connection would be rather noticeable

For what it's worth, I've also done a bit of digging on the records for addresses that I imagine are immediately either side of yours. Although it might not be a drop from 76Mbps to 12-15Mbps, I would expect a drop in speed if I were you.

One side (In another postcode) has estimates of 25-35Mbps and next door +1 (As next door also has no records on dslchecker) the other way in the same postcode as yours has estimates of 27.4-37.4Mbps.

Either way, these are still higher than the 4.5Mbps-11Mbps speed estimates given for ADSL on the same addresses.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

It may well be that they are "being economical with the truth" but if they promise me a service and don't deliver then they will have broken the terms of the agreement

I quite agree, but Sky have no more actual ability to provide Fibre than the other suppliers. So it really boils down to this, do you want to go with a supplier who's willing to lie to get the business or one who tells it like it is ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sturose
Grafter

@HarryB wrote:

For what it's worth, I've also done a bit of digging on the records for addresses that I imagine are immediately either side of yours. Although it might not be a drop from 76Mbps to 12-15Mbps, I would expect a drop in speed if I were you.

One side (In another postcode) has estimates of 25-35Mbps and next door +1 (As next door also has no records on dslchecker) the other way in the same postcode as yours has estimates of 27.4-37.4Mbps.

Either way, these are still higher than the 4.5Mbps-11Mbps speed estimates given for ADSL on the same addresses.

Makes me wonder if it's even worth paying for the fastest fibre connection when you put it like that. Not sure what to do now, don't really want to go back to ADSL but if fibre isn't as beneficial as where I am currently living, is it worth the extra expense.

With all the free and dirt cheap ADSL deals about it might be worth going for a different package completely until the whole fibre network has improved drastically. (I won't hold my breath)

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As it looks like if you do get fibre all you can get from Plusnet is 40/2 so if faster upload is a significant consideration you will need to look elsewhere anyway.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)