cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house, no fibre???

sturose
Grafter

Moving house, no fibre???

I am moving house in the next couple of weeks and was checking availability for my 76 meg fibre connection. According to plusnets website it is unavailable at my new home.

Strange thing is, each of the neighboring properties have fibre broadband available, it appears to be just my new home. It is not a new build house and it is on a main road so I would have thought all properties would have fibre available to them.

Any suggestions why just one house is omitted from receiving high speed internet?

25 REPLIES 25
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Moving house, no fibre???

Do you know the existing phone number of the house and one of the house that does have fibre? If you can find those look them up at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome If they same the same cabinet number at the top the explanation will be that all the ports in the cabinet are in use and you will either have to wait for one to be free or for OpenReach to add more capacity.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sturose
Grafter

There is no phone currently active at the house and I have no idea about any of the neighboring properties so I can't check anything using phone numbers.

I have spoken to sky via live chat and they assure me that they can connect fibre to my new home. Unfortunately plusnet will not let me start a live chat regarding moving home though and I could not call them earlier.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

What does this say about availability?

sturose
Grafter

I don't currently have a phone line at the address so I can't check using that tool.

The address checker won't return any results and the postcode checker doesn't give availability for fibre.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Strange. I've just checked my own address and it shows fibre avaiability.

sturose
Grafter

This is what I get when checking the address.

I'll check back tomorrow for any more replies. Gotta go now, been trying to sort this all evening!!!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You just need to go to the next step, put the postcode in, then pick the correct house details, you should then get what service is available. You will however need to order a phone to then be able to order fibre.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Mustrum Read message no 5!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The postcode check doesn't show fibre but the address check does.

sturose
Grafter

@Mustrum @caravanj

The address check won't return any results at all for me. I have tried various methods and none of them show availability, even the openreach website doesn't list my address when I enter my postcode.

There must be an error on the openreach database as they do not even recognize my new house number at all. Like I said, sky have told me they can supply fibre to my new house but their website, plusnet site, BT site & any others I've tried will not recognize my address for fibre optic, only for standard broadband.

sturose
Grafter

Any plusnet staff care to jump in here and assist me?Huh

I've just had a very interesting chat with TT online chat and they also say that I can't have fibre because the "exchange is full" Crazy2

Are they really trying to suggest that in a street with several hundred houses they have selected just 2 in the middle that are not going to be allowed access to high speed fibre broadband whilst the rest can all surf away at up to 76Mb?? I don't think so.

Somebody who can actually look into this farce for me PLEASE respond!!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Unfortunately we can't promise fibre at an address that isn't showing any availability for fibre. I've seen it in the past where hoses on one side of the road have fibre but the other side doesn't. I've also seen people move in to homes where immediate next door neighbours have fibre, but the house in question was on another cab that didn't have fibre.

As there are no availability records showing on dslchecker.bt.com, we unfortunately can't offer the service. That's not to say you can't upgrade to it if it is available once records become available after a line is installed.

@sturose wrote:

Are they really trying to suggest that in a street with several hundred houses they have selected just 2 in the middle that are not going to be allowed access to high speed fibre broadband whilst the rest can all surf away at up to 76Mb?? I don't think so.

We're not necessarily saying that. It quite possible fibre is available for all the addresses, but without having availability records to confirm this, we're not going to promise fibre.

If there is a huge uptake of fibre in the area, it's also quite possible that the fibre cabinet could be at capacity, at which point we also wouldn't be able to provide fibre.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
sturose
Grafter

I understand what you are saying and I have also seen streets where half have fibre and the other half doesn't but this set up does not make any sense at all.

Nobody is going to tell me that in a street as large as the one I am moving too, every single other house apart from the one I am moving to has decided to take fibre optic broadband. There are hundreds of houses either side of mine and they all have access to fibre (checked dozens of homes at random)

This rather crudely drawn map should give you an idea of what I mean:

UB3uFQ.png

Surely there must be some mistake in the records and surely there is somebody that can check?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

sturose wrote:

Nobody is going to tell me that in a street as large as the one I am moving too, every single other house apart from the one I am moving to has decided to take fibre optic broadband. There are hundreds of houses either side of mine and they all have access to fibre (checked dozens of homes at random)

HarryB wrote:

If there is a huge uptake of fibre in the area, it's also quite possible that the fibre cabinet could be at capacity, at which point we also wouldn't be able to provide fibre.

As there are currently no availability records for the address in question, we unfortunately cannot promise fibre.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet