cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from BT to Plusnet Help Please.

saltyseadog

Moving from BT to Plusnet Help Please.

Decided to move from BT infinity 1 to Plusnet 38Meg service. Couple of questions;

1. I believe my Smart Hub will work with Plusnet, which is good as I've found it's wi-fi coverage to be excellent in our house. Will it continue to auto update it's firmware if I change the settings to Plusnet?

2. We have BT TV, again I believe the BT youView box will also work with Plusnet, can you get BT Sports on Plusnet youView without their TV pack or is it just available if you take the TV pack as well? I would like BT Sports pack in HD, I'm not too bothered about the entertainment channels as I don't think there's very much on I would watch, am I best just to take the BT Sports app and get a chromecast?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Moving from BT to Plusnet Help Please.

Hi there and welcome to the community forums.

1. I believe my Smart Hub will work with Plusnet, which is good as I've found it's wi-fi coverage to be excellent in our house.

There's a guide over here that explains how to configure the Hub.

Will it continue to auto update it's firmware if I change the settings to Plusnet?

I don't think so, as I believe we'd only be able to update the firmware of our own routers.

2. We have BT TV, again I believe the BT youView box will also work with Plusnet, can you get BT Sports on Plusnet youView without their TV pack or is it just available if you take the TV pack as well? I would like BT Sports pack in HD, I'm not too bothered about the entertainment channels as I don't think there's very much on I would watch

With regards to taking out a YouView service with just the BT Sports pack, I believe you'd need to pay for a YouView subscription as well as the BT Sport via YouView channel pack.

For more info, it's worth calling our TV team on 0800 731 7510 as they're in the best position to help.

am I best just to take the BT Sports app and get a chromecast?

If you're just wanting to watch BT Sport, it'll probably work out cheaper in the long run to purchase the app by itself per month and buy a Chromecast (or Apple TV).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Will it continue to auto update it's firmware if I change the settings to Plusnet?

I don't think so, as I believe we'd only be able to update the firmware of our own routers.

Yes it will, unless you crack the firmware, HH5, and I am sure HH6's and others will still phone home and will be updated by BT's management function - PN won't be able to do anything with it. That said, if you ever have problems with your line, PN will not have a clue what to do to support it, so best to have a PN supplied router when talking to the customer support people.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

My HH6 SmartHub phones home every day and has updated twice since using it on my PN service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

saltyseadog

Thanks for all the replies, looks good for the Smart Hub working OK. I have ordered the Plusnet router and will use it first to check the broadband is working fine before trying to replace it with the Smart Hub and can use it again in the future to troubleshoot if there's any issues with the broadband. The Smart Hub has worked well for me and it will look better in the room as the pure white Plusnet router will look a bit odd with all the other black equipment.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Let us know if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team