cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from ADSL to FTTC - advice needed on router etc

speninem

Moving from ADSL to FTTC - advice needed on router etc

Hi
Currently on PlusNet ADSL, but with 3 kids permanently using laptops, ipods, ipads etc, decided to pay a little bit more and go for fibre.
I don't know much about the technology involved, but understand that a BT engineer needs to visit to hardwire a new wall socket? Plus need a modem (which I understand needs its own power supply), plus understand that my existing router (Netgear DGND 3300 ADSL router) will no longer work.  I have ordered the PlusNet router for £5.99P&P but on past experience my expectations on this are fairly low....
A few questions if anyone could please advise:-
1. Is above correct? Specifically that I will need a modem with its own power supply, and a new 'fibre' router?
2. If I need a new router, any recommendations for speed/reliability...( several wifi connections at same time in evening, plus ethernet connections to humax receiver, apple tv and samsung smart tv (only one of these usually required at once, but need enough connections on router). I use airplay to stream music from ipad to apple tv, and thence digital out to DAC and on to amplifier.  I don't necessarily want to spend a lot if not required, but normally spend around £100 on a router and may consider more if justified
3. Is there any combined solution for modem and router?  This would be preferrable if possible due to existing numbers of power sockets, wiring etc.  Would BT engineer be able to connect if I purchased, or does s/he have to connect the one they bring? 
4. Any other issues I should consider?
Thanks in advance for any help.
5 REPLIES 5
Method0ne
Grafter

Re: Moving from ADSL to FTTC - advice needed on router etc

From my own experience I'll try to answer as best I can.
Firstly, the engineer usually will only need to fit a new faceplate if you have the NTE5 type of master socket, it's possible they might replace older master sockets entirely though. They'll also bring the fibre modem with them at the time of install and set that up to make sure the connection is active (it needs a power socket)
Router wise, if your current router can do PPPoE connection types (check the manual/online) then you can just keep using what you have once you set it up for that connection, I used my own router when the install was complete, only using the Plusnet supplied one to find the correct settings for my own.
There are combined fibre modem/router combo's you can get, but since it's a relatively new market compared to adsl many of the options available aren't perfect (some have buggy gui's, others have a lack of features such as dual-band wifi and gigabit ethernet) though you'll need others to suggest models as I've not really looked into it myself.
As far as I know, the engineer will only install the modem that is brought at the time of the visit, they will test that the fibre connection is active and will usually wait a moment to make sure you can get online with whatever router you use to connect, once they're happy the connection is live and usable then they'll leave, at which point you can swap the hardware out to your hearts content (just make sure you keep things handy in case support needs you to use supplied equipment in the case of an issue/fault)
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You'll find a list of combined vdsl2 modem routers here:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0
My preference is the Talk Talks super router (HG635)
Around £30 from a well know auction site.
I find it to have very good wifi together with gigabit ethernet.
Details of how to configure for use with Plusnet:
http://npr.me.uk/hg635.html
The BT technician will not setup a custom modem / router, you're on your own I'm afraid but it's not difficult and there is help here and other places on the net Wink
Also it's best to keep, as backup, the BT modem and Plusnet router in case you have problems which need to be investigated by PN / BT.
petecov44
Grafter

Something else to keep in mind. The modem that the engineer supplies hooks up to the NGA (the new green cab) and that's the VDSL 2 Modem.
When swapping hardware there should never be any need to turn this off as the PN or an other router you have will plug into the red Ethernet cable which you also get.
There is Dynamic Line Management running but unlike ADSL it only runs on the VDSL circuit.
So basically what I am trying to say is you can change the router bit all the time as much as you want - all it will do is drop the authentication part to plusnet but the BTO Modem should always be left on because that's the one that controls the connection speed and sync etc.
Unlike ADSL where it's an all in 1 unit this is 2 units and they are independent to a degree. If you do ever have to power off the VDSL 2 Openreach Modem make sure you leave it down for at least 30 minutes as this should prevent DLM from being activated on your line. DLM on my line took seconds to put my speed down to 10mbps less but took 3 months to bring it back up to the speed I had when I was installed.
WWWombat
Grafter

As a standalone router, I'm using a tp-link wdr-3600. The main reason was to add dual-band WiFi, which I'm now glad I've got - there are a lot of neighbours visible in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. With 2x 300Mbps, it seems to cope with whatever we throw at it.
For a while, I had the TV/PVR connected through a WA890 wireless bridge, which lets 4 wired devices connect, and that took HD streaming without a hitch. Now they're wired in with their own Gb switch.
Right now, I plan to stick with the separate Openreach modem, monitored through the tools available on the Kitz forum. The combined devices aren't really available in numbers yet,  and the balance of price, performance, features & stability isn't quite there yet.
As I see things, the 5 GHz spectrum will be key - and getting hardware that makes all channels available, at full power & with radar-avoiding algorithms working is likely to take a while yet. I expect more upgrades needed in the future.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
speninem

Hi
Thanks to MethodOne, npr, petecov44 and WWWombat for your replies.
All good info - think on balance I will leave BT modem alone to begin with and have a look at getting another router - the TP Link one mentioned in WWWombat's post looks good value. 
As I said previously, I have no great hopes for plusnet provided router - why can't they source some decent hardware?  I realise they may need to charge more than P&P but as still optional those who want to shop around still can, but those who just want a 'one stop shop' can end up with something at least half decent.
Thanks again to all who replied.  It's been interesting reading the posts here regarding issues with moving to fibre, so I'll let you know how I go - appointment for BT engineer is set for 06/11/14.