cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving BT Master socket to room where router is?

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Re: Moving BT Master socket to room where router is?

Oh it's back now, spam filter (thanks mod!). That's a good thing, stops the forum being spammed so I appreciate things like that.

Thanks mod for sorting it, I appreciate that Smiley 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi Robbie.

Unfortunately if an engineer needs to fit a new master phone socket as part of a new provision order, they'll generally install it in the best possible location with where the line enters in mind. As they'll also carry out work externally, the engineer may not have enough time to carry out anything complex with regards to fitting the master socket in a different location.

Erm. Unless things have changed, the 'standard' practice (IIRC) was to install the line from where it attaches to the property and then run the line for an additional 30 metres. So the EU could have the master socket almost anywhere they wanted it. OR wouldn't run it under carpets etc and would clip it direct to the skirting board.

In your case it's difficult to say why an engineer fitted the master socket in the location they have done. From what I can see when we provided your line we just remotely reactivated an existing line which was already there.

To move your master socket to a position of your choice, we'll need to order what's known as an internal shift for an engineer to specifically carry out this work and that comes at the cost of £160 which we can't cover I'm afraid.

You really shouldn't touch that wire or indeed mess with the A&B terminals on the master socket, but for £160 I'd either DIY (but I'm qualified, though not for telecoms) or get an exBT guy in. They would more than likely charge a lot less than £160. But it's naughty and you really shouldn't have anyone else but Openreach do this - but my lips are sealed.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Thank you @DS , I really do appreciate your kindness here for helping too so please know how grateful I sincerely am, so thank you!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the ex-BT guys etc... just gotta be careful though haven't you incase they're not actually as qualified as they say or they do a botch up (or not very great) job, so it's a trust thing with that.

BT charging so much, I'm not sure if it's valid the price they charge for the job but it does sound very over priced. When you think about it, it's nearly £200 to move or put in a new socket, that's a lot of money and when things are over priced then no wonder people try find cheaper alternatives as if things are reasonable priced, then people (I would have thought) would have no problem paying for the job direct from the companies that do them, they must be making a right fortune because it's not something that people can always choose, it's like something you need to have at times so it's like they can charge a lot because it's essential to some people for their internet.

I'm also not that technical or comfortable myself with doing these kind of things, it's like when they send you email instructions and ask you to log into the router and make changes, it's all very daunting to me and I don't like being asked to do that. I much prefer Plusnet to do it for me and I'm really grateful for that because I really don't know what I'm doing with that stuff and I don't want to mess with things when I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Again, it's just a bit daunting to me when asked to do too much to be honest, although it may be easy to some to others, not so much.

Anyway, I am genuinely sincerely grateful to all who have kindly replied here and helped so thank you, I just wish I could get it sorted really but as of now it's been alright, I just hope it sustains (which I'm not sure cause I had a refresh back in January I think and eventually it's got to the recent points I mentioned in the OP).

Thanks again anyway, I'm sincerely grateful! Smiley 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

My reply has disappeared again lol 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Don't worry, I have what you wrote on an email Smiley

(I'm sure it'll be released from the spam filter shortly)

It was only a suggestion and totally understand your concerns - note con in concerns;)

I had a bit of a bodge done by one of Openreach's official contractors, so even those allowed don't always do things right. I took photos of the shoddy work and actually fixed it myself. This actually saved Openreach money as they didn't need to send another 'better trained' guy/gal to fix the darn thing.

I don't actually agree with the costs they charge (and get away with). Take my line for example, the bit from the pole to the cabinet is actually 57 years old and the years of line rental has more than covered any 'maintenance' costs.

I'm all for quality, but costs are my main factor!!!;)

Regarding making changes to the router, most if not all of us on here all started at the beginning, with a lot of time and effort put in to get to where we are today. If you ever run into any issues, I'd say ask via these forums first, most of us can probably give you step by step instructions or depending on the router possibly even give you the direct link for a given page on the router.

edit to correct a typo

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @DS , you're an absolute gem on these forums and thank you for taking time to help myself and others also, truly!!

Yeah I know what you mean, anyone can do that really I guess when it comes to a botch up job so I hear you on that completely Smiley

Yeah, I don't want to judge too much in regards to the price being justified simply because I don't know what the job entails but it's a lot of money to charge a customer simply to improve their internet service so they can be a customer of Plusnet (or whoever) and have a good decent internet which Plusnet supply. My guess is it's well over priced anyway simply because like I say, it's pushing £200 and that's a lot of money to do something to make things a little bit better for myself and Plusnet too (bare in mind it saves a lot of calls and issue's if this was to resolve a few things) but like you say in regards to costs, this will play a part for a lot of people I'm sure Smiley

In regards to the router thing, I forget what it was now as it was a bit back but I spoke to Plusnet on the phone about some issue and instead of them changing it they sent me an email with instructions how to do it. I wasn't confident with doing it in the first place but I did say ok however I ended up knocking the internet off (my fault) as I accidentally unclicked or clicked a box or something, again, I forget exactly what it was but it knocked my internet off completely) and I had no idea how to get it back on or did I want to mess with it anymore, so I called Plusnet and explained how I'd accidentally knocked it off and they went into the router settings themselves, put it back on and did the tweak that was needed in the first place which the email asked me, it's things like that that I do feel customers shouldn't really be asked to do as where it might be simple to some people, to others it's not and when you don't know what you're doing, aren't confident or trained in this kind of thing, it's not great to be asked to do it from these emails they have there. Luckily, as always, Plusnet really helped when I called them back and that really is what's great about them and what I love, they're an honest, caring company who look after you and that's what's most important to me more than anything and why I love being with them (I've also got 7 other friends on Plusnet since as well as a few on the mobile too and the TV, quite a lot).

But yeah, I'm definitely going to use these forums more often if and when I have issue's now as you guys are great here and I do appreciate it, of course as long as I have internet connection of course haha. 

Thanks @DS , I really do appreciate the time you take out to help people here so thank you Smiley 

DS
Seasoned Champion

@robbieglover2k wrote:

Thanks @DS , you're an absolute gem on these forums and thank you for taking time to help myself and others also, truly!!

You're more than welcome Smiley

(plus you've made me blush)

As I said, I've been there and slowly but surely learned how to tinker with the routers and the connection, plus I'm happy to help others wherever I can. The best thing is apart from a bit of time and effort, it costs you nothing Smiley

(well, apart from the costs to have your socket relocated, the robbing so and so's)

Yeah I know what you mean, anyone can do that really I guess when it comes to a botch up job so I hear you on that completely Smiley

Hence why I'm lucky I guess as I know what I'm doing  - not bragging, just lucky

Yeah, I don't want to judge too much in regards to the price being justified simply because I don't know what the job entails but it's a lot of money to charge a customer simply to improve their internet service so they can be a customer of Plusnet (or whoever) and have a good decent internet which Plusnet supply. My guess is it's well over priced anyway simply because like I say, it's pushing £200 and that's a lot of money to do something to make things a little bit better for myself and Plusnet too (bare in mind it saves a lot of calls and issue's if this was to resolve a few things) but like you say in regards to costs, this will play a part for a lot of people I'm sure Smiley

I actually priced it up once for a 20 metre run, using good quality cable (one good thing is BT/Openreach always use good quality cable, not this cheap Chinese junk) and it came in at less than £12!!

I always see BT as the banker in a game of Monopoly, need I say more.....

(it should never had been put into private hands, but hey ho)

In regards to the router thing, I forget what it was now as it was a bit back but I spoke to Plusnet on the phone about some issue and instead of them changing it they sent me an email with instructions how to do it. I wasn't confident with doing it in the first place but I did say ok however I ended up knocking the internet off (my fault)

Don't beat yourself up. Many won't admit it, but I'm pretty sure most of us have done the same.

<snipped>

they went into the router settings themselves, put it back on and did the tweak that was needed in the first place which the email asked me, it's things like that that I do feel customers shouldn't really be asked to do as where it might be simple to some people, to others it's not and when you don't know what you're doing, aren't confident or trained in this kind of thing,

And I have to agree with you. Many out there don't know or are not confident in making changes. The good news is the router wont implode or explode if you mess it up, the bad news is you could kick the router off the www.

But imho ALL ISP's should allow for users not wanting to tinker with it if they don't want to and should accommodate this request during the first contact with them.

At the end of the day, you pay them for their products and services and they should be able to work for you. The exception would be is the connection had issues and they wanted us to plug the router into the test point - this actual serves a more important function than some realise...... if can save us, the customer, money should the issue be caused by us.

it's not great to be asked to do it from these emails they have there. Luckily, as always, Plusnet really helped when I called them back and that really is what's great about them and what I love, they're an honest, caring company who look after you and that's what's most important to me more than anything and why I love being with them (I've also got 7 other friends on Plusnet since as well as a few on the mobile too and the TV, quite a lot).

And I'm glad to hear it. Most forum users come on here to have a moan (myself included) and not many actually post the positives (but I do too).

But yeah, I'm definitely going to use these forums more often if and when I have issue's now as you guys are great here and I do appreciate it, of course as long as I have internet connection of course haha. 

If you ignore certain sections of the forums, this isn't actually a bad place to be. You'll always find someone willing to help (or if not I'll reply too) and of course you can take as long as you need to reply and I for one don't judge anybody on their lack of skills;)

Thanks @DS , I really do appreciate the time you take out to help people here so thank you Smiley 

Again, no problem Smiley

Day or night, even if it's nothing to do with Plusnet, you'll always find someone willing to reply Smiley

(not sure where the line above came from, but I can't remove it so let's ignore that bit;))

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

You're more than welcome Smiley

(plus you've made me blush)

As I said, I've been there and slowly but surely learned how to tinker with the routers and the connection, plus I'm happy to help others wherever I can. The best thing is apart from a bit of time and effort, it costs you nothing Smiley

(well, apart from the costs to have your socket relocated, the robbing so and so's)

No problem, it's really nice that people like yourself are here along with the Plusnet staff too so thank you!!

Hence why I'm lucky I guess as I know what I'm doing  - not bragging, just lucky

It never came across like that at all, for real, of course it's great if you know how to do these things as it comes in handy and saves you a lot of money also Smiley

I actually priced it up once for a 20 metre run, using good quality cable (one good thing is BT/Openreach always use good quality cable, not this cheap Chinese junk) and it came in at less than £12!!

I always see BT as the banker in a game of Monopoly, need I say more.....

(it should never had been put into private hands, but hey ho)

Yeah, that's crazy. I think also with the socket moved to my room there'd need to be drilling also in my wall wouldn't they so there's all that too, master socket in my room, wires going outside, no wires going downstairs into the room and into the master socket, be much better but again, it's the expense, it's crazy really and they really shouldn't be allowed to charge that much when it's not really needed to be that much of a charge. It really is because they know if people need it they don't have a choice so I think it's unfair really, it doesn't help Plusnet either considering they have to pay them also when they get engineers out. 

I know Plusnet are part of BT but are their own separate company but you would think with the engineer thing they wouldn't charge Plusnet as much. I don't know how it would work as such so it would benefit Plusnet but if they had their own team for things like this, it would probably be much easier and save all this hassle of booking engineers and also saying to the customer "We might charge you" kinda thing so much due to the costs they have to be sure the engineer is absolutely needed.

Don't beat yourself up. Many won't admit it, but I'm pretty sure most of us have done the same.

Yeah, I just didn't have a clue what I was doing and it was daunting to me, following the instructions I still wasn't sure then I clicked something and was like "Oh no it didn't mean that" then I couldn't get it back on, had to ring Plusnet and they did it for me, I didn't want to do it in the first place but the technician on the phone said to me he'll send me the email to do it, even though I didn't want to because I wasn't confident with it.

And I have to agree with you. Many out there don't know or are not confident in making changes. The good news is the router wont implode or explode if you mess it up, the bad news is you could kick the router off the www.

But imho ALL ISP's should allow for users not wanting to tinker with it if they don't want to and should accommodate this request during the first contact with them.

At the end of the day, you pay them for their products and services and they should be able to work for you. The exception would be is the connection had issues and they wanted us to plug the router into the test point - this actual serves a more important function than some realise...... if can save us, the customer, money should the issue be caused by us.

THIS!!!! 100%!!!! (Specially the part in blue). This is exactly how I felt about it but didn't want to say in case people were like "No, you should do it" but I don't agree with that. I don't think customers should be asked to do all these technical things because it's not their job (or should it be), we're not expected to know and aren't trained in it, even with an easy guidance video it's still very daunting to us and mistakes can be made (as I did!). The one I do agree with is the exception thing because they can't do that as they're not here and this has to be all done before they book an engineer as it costs them more money to send the engineer out so that absolutely 100% but the going into the router, changing settings and doing all these things they can easily do at their side they shouldn't be asking the customer to do that job. They did the edit for me when I rung them back to let them know I'd accidentally knocked it off cause I didn't know what I was doing and following the instructions were all confusing for me (I didn't want to do it in the first place) but when I called them they put my internet back on and did the change to the router they were asking me to do, which they probably should have done in the first place rather than sending out an email and telling the customer to do it, it's a bit much.

And I'm glad to hear it. Most forum users come on here to have a moan (myself included) and not many actually post the positives (but I do too).

Yeah, I'm absolutely made up with Plusnet, I love them and it really is because of the customer service that they give (I can't stress this enough!). Sure, there's been one or two that haven't been as great but that's going to happen and when it does Plusnet always address it (even when you don't want them to as I don't want people to get into trouble) but I had one guy recently who was talking over me and a bit aggressive and of course the little thing mentioned above with sending the email and asking us to do the job rather than them doing it which they could have but that's just two in loads and it's nothing really, they're absolutely great and I do love Plusnet.

I've got a few friends on Plusnet through recommendation (7 people), I also moved from O2 to Plusnet mobile myself and I had no reason to leave O2 after being with them for 15 years or more as O2 were great! However, it really was because of how Plusnet look after us and the offers they give us too that I thought I'd try it. I wasn't really expecting their mobile service to be great so expected a few possible issues but it's been great, no problems at all and their mobile service is fantastic!!! I've also got the TV package from them completely apart from one small package (Entertainment Plus) simply cause there's really nothing on there I'd watch. I've also got an additional Sim for my mum for Plusnet mobile which I pay for from Plusnet too so switched her on this too, I got my sister also on Plusnet mobile and I got her the TV service too (she was one I originally got into the broadband also) AND another two friends I've got onto the broadband are also getting the TV service soon also, so I've done a lot!! 

This is how much I love them and also how it also matters to me too so mjuch that they keep up the great customer service cause I'm recommending them to people and saying they're great so if they go against that it reflects on me too, though with that aside that really is the best thing about them and this is why I hate to complain with them but they're always really helpful and it's great!

They're a real breath of fresh air and I just really hope they don't change as that's where many companies let themselves down.

If you ignore certain sections of the forums, this isn't actually a bad place to be. You'll always find someone willing to help (or if not I'll reply too) and of course you can take as long as you need to reply and I for one don't judge anybody on their lack of skills;)

Again, no problem Smiley

Day or night, even if it's nothing to do with Plusnet, you'll always find someone willing to reply Smiley

Again, thank you @DS , I really appreciate your time and help. I really do just want my internet to be the best it can be for myself and for Plusnet which is why I really want to get the master socket installed in my room rather than downstairs but it's the cost and no work around for me for that Undecided

Thank you so much anyway, it's sincerely much appreciated!! Smiley 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Again no problem Smiley

Yeah, that's crazy. I think also with the socket moved to my room there'd need to be drilling also in my wall wouldn't they so there's all that too

I need to be careful how I word this..... But I actually had 3 master sockets in the same room.

• One was my original BT master socket
  • One was my original cable provider (now known as Virgin Media)
  • The newest one WAS my 'replacement' master socket for the original BT one - this was bodged by a contractor working on behalf of Openreach and this is the one I made good.

I had issues whereby my router would drop the connection and this warranted several Openreach visits.

During one of the visits, we discussed the 3 master sockets and we agreed a 'fault' had been found on the third socket. To fix this 'fault' it was agreed that Openreach would renew the wire from the telegraph pole to this third socket, which involved drilling a new hole behind that socket for the new external wire to be routed directly. Openreach were also clutching at straws so replacing the cable was a good idea anyway.

I permitted the hole and it cost me nothing Smiley

(I'm not saying you need to find a 'fault', just that a 'repair' or 'fix' may involve a 'relocated wire' to a new master socket)

But yes, based on the above, I can't see why they'd not drill a hole or two, more so if you were paying for it - for £160 I'd expect a very good standard to running the wire and attaching it as neatly as possible.

<snipped>

it's the expense, it's crazy really and they really shouldn't be allowed to charge that much when it's not really needed to be that much of a charge. It really is because they know if people need it they don't have a choice so I think it's unfair really, it doesn't help Plusnet either considering they have to pay them also when they get engineers out. 

It is high imho. The call out charge used to be £130 (IIRC) and this was lowered by Ofcom (IIRC) to half the price, thus £65.

Now going off that, then £80 for a relocated wire sounds more reasonable.

I know Plusnet are part of BT but are their own separate company but you would think with the engineer thing they wouldn't charge Plusnet as much.

They have to treat all ISP's the same

(though I really shouldn't say this, as the proof is on another device in storage, but I have a screen grab of a BT employee admitting they (BT) got a priority over another ISP - the forum post on their forums was swiftly taken down, but by then it was a bit too late - I hope this was a one off...?)

I don't know how it would work as such so it would benefit Plusnet but if they had their own team for things like this, it would probably be much easier and save all this hassle of booking engineers and also saying to the customer

Plusnet will never ever be allowed to do this whilst they're owned by BT as they'd be in direct competition with their owner.

Openreach own the cables/wires and the cabinets/exchanges and thus only their employees (or approved contractors) are permitted to work on it

Also the cost for running a new (Plusnet owned) infrastructure would run into millions of pounds

"We might charge you" kinda thing so much due to the costs they have to be sure the engineer is absolutely needed.

I find that off putting too, though the might is the bit many overlook

then I couldn't get it back on

There is always a way out. The easiest thing to do, should you be in the dark again, is to press and hold the little reset button on the rear of the router (for around 20 seconds) then let it go. This restores the router to it's default configuration and should get you back online - no waiting on the phone, no reading emails, no major issues (bar finding a pin or something similar to push the recessed button in with)

THIS!!!! 100%!!!! (Specially the part in blue). This is exactly how I felt about it but didn't want to say in case people were like "No, you should do it" but I don't agree with that.

We as humans, are entitled to have our own opinions on anything we like.

Those not happy to 'tinker' shouldn't need to tinker, those that want to and don't know how could learn how, those that have big heads and strut their stuff like a peacock should do so in a peacock zoo.

I don't think customers should be asked to do all these technical things because it's not their job (or should it be), we're not expected to know and aren't trained in it, even with an easy guidance video it's still very daunting to us and mistakes can be made (as I did!).

I honestly understand what you're saying. I can't fly a plane and shouldn't be asked to sit in the captains seat. I know BT used to offer a screen share facility and they could control the stuff at our end - I have no idea if they still do nor do I know if Plusnet offer the same.

Press and hold the rest button (to get the router online), then allow them to tinker for you to make the settings you want, rather simple I'd of thought for them to do.

They did the edit for me when I rung them back to let them know I'd accidentally knocked it off cause I didn't know what I was doing and following the instructions were all confusing for me (I didn't want to do it in the first place) but when I called them they put my internet back on and did the change to the router they were asking me to do, which they probably should have done in the first place rather than sending out an email and telling the customer to do it, it's a bit much.

Yep, you went around a few circles there, when if they'd done it from the get go then time and paracetamol would have been saved.

Yeah, I'm absolutely made up with Plusnet, I love them and it really is because of the customer service that they give (I can't stress this enough!). Sure, there's been one or two that haven't been as great but that's going to happen and when it does Plusnet always address it (even when you don't want them to as I don't want people to get into trouble) but I had one guy recently who was talking over me and a bit aggressive and of course the little thing mentioned above with sending the email and asking us to do the job rather than them doing it which they could have but that's just two in loads and it's nothing really, they're absolutely great and I do love Plusnet.

I'm happy with them too, sort of. I've not had an easy journey with them, but things seem to be getting better now.

I totally understand your thought process in regards to not getting an individual in to hot water, though sometimes a bit of re-training isn't a bad thing.

People talking over me is one of my pet hates - it just proves they are not listening.

I've got a few friends on Plusnet through recommendation (7 people),

I have 2 referrals, but many more that joined Plusnet on my advice.

I also moved from O2 to Plusnet mobile myself and I had no reason to leave O2 after being with them for 15 years or more as O2 were great! However, it really was because of how Plusnet look after us and the offers they give us too that I thought I'd try it.

I tend to move based on price rises. Having good support is a bonus. Customer based advice is, imho, better than what an ISP offers as they are biased to their brand/image/logo/motto.

I wasn't really expecting their mobile service to be great so expected a few possible issues but it's been great, no problems at all and their mobile service is fantastic!!!

We're happy with our current mobile provider, therefore we're unlikely to move anytime soon.

I've also got the TV package from them completely apart from one small package (Entertainment Plus) simply cause there's really nothing on there I'd watch.

We also have the TV offerings. We used to have nearly all of it, but now it's just the base package. I'm not actually a TV watcher much as I tend to watch most 'stuff' online now

This is how much I love them and also how it also matters to me too so mjuch that they keep up the great customer service cause I'm recommending them to people and saying they're great so if they go against that it reflects on me too, though with that aside that really is the best thing about them and this is why I hate to complain with them but they're always really helpful and it's great!

If you have an issue, let us know, most of us could well have been there ourselves.

Again, thank you @DS , I really appreciate your time and help. I really do just want my internet to be the best it can be for myself and for Plusnet which is why I really want to get the master socket installed in my room rather than downstairs but it's the cost and no work around for me for that Undecided

Thank you so much anyway, it's sincerely much appreciated!! Smiley

Hey, no worries, happy to help (or chat in general)

I would still consider getting it done cheaper, with a cautious mind of course;)