cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to a static IP address and game lag disappeared for 2 days then back to normal

quinnaaa
Dabbler

Moved to a static IP address and game lag disappeared for 2 days then back to normal

Hi 

I'd previously read that moving to a static IP may resolve some PS4 gaming lag as the traffic was routed differently.  

I arranged to have the static IP address and restarted the router and it was night and day.  After a few days, it returned to the poor gaming experience and hasn't improved. Since then I've added the Plusnet Pro bolt-on to see if that would make any difference. 

Before the change to the Static IP address, I thought I may be suffering from Lag compensation because I have a relatively low ping on a speed test but I've all but ruled that out when I saw the improvement on static IP address.  

PN1 Setting 

PS4 in the DMZ, port forwarding enabled.

UPnP is disabled but makes no difference if it's enabled. 

For me, moving to the Static IP address and seeing the difference in-game, eliminated a few things for me. 

• Poor connection, noise etc to the exchange
  • Packet loss
  • Internal connections. 
  • Router setup
  • Port forwarding
  • Lag compensation  

I've always had an issue regardless of provider and location as they all go through the same Maidenhead exchange. 

In the last 10 years, I've been at 3 different locations and I've tried BT (Multiple locations, Vodaphone & Plusnet (multiple locations)

A couple of theories to consider. 
Why did changing to a static connection initially fix the issue? 
Was I initially on any priority routing when I was moved to a static address but subsequently moved automatically to a less prioritised routing?
Could it be something at the exchange throttling my connection? 

The game doesn't report any packet loss and a ping of 30-40ms in-game

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone can investigate the logs (if still available) when I moved to the static IP address vs what he logs say now.