cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to Plusnet on 2nd, still no broadband

pdevlin
Dabbler

Moved to Plusnet on 2nd, still no broadband

I have moved both phone line and broadband from TalkTalk fibre to PlusNet fibre due to the poor service and really slow broadband.  Our phone transferred on 2nd June as planned, broadband was due on same day but didn't complete until 3rd.  Despite this and numerous calls to support, we still don't have any broadband.
Initially I was going to use my TalkTalk router which isn't locked to TalkTalk and had it all setup correctly but was told by support that I would need an unlocked router as that was the problem.  I went and got another router and set it up with the credentials supplied and still no broadband.
Support takes an hour to get through to and then tell me it'll take 3 days for someone to look at the issue.  Its a new connection, there shouldn't be an issue.
Anyone like to comment or provide assistance?  I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel and cancelling the whole lot and moving to BT.
29 REPLIES 29
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Moved to Plusnet on 2nd, still no broadband

Initially I was going to use my TalkTalk router which isn't locked to TalkTalk and had it all setup correctly but was told by support that I would need an unlocked router as that was the problem.
Some initial questions to establish the exact situation:-
You moved from TT Fibre, did you already have a BT OpenReach modem or was the TT router a combined VDSL modem/router ?
Did you get a BT modem as part of the installation ?
What make/model router do you now have ?
Oh! BTW, welcome to the forums

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pdevlin
Dabbler

Thanks for the prompt reply, I should have been more precise.  Firstly, I own my an IT company that specialize in IT support for SMEs all over the UK and one of our fortes is BB installation and setup so we have approx. 10 years experience in this field and were one of the first businesses in this area to get BB when it was launched so I know my way around routers, modems and networking.
I have a BT fibre modem which was linked to the D-Link DSL-3680 router via the WAN port so I merely changed the config on the router from "Dynamic IP assignment" (TT) to "PPPoE" with my username and password (PlusNet).  As this didn't work, the support team advised to get another router, which I did to avoid any possible issue and set it up as per PlusNet (PPPoE with username and password) linked to the fibre modem.  The router shows a connection to the modem and the modem has DSL but the router will not authenticate.  The router is a simple WAN Engenius router just to try and prove a point.  If I ever get this sorted, I will be changing the router to one of the new Archers.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, sounds like you know what you're doing. Since the modem's in synch it's an authentication issue. It's possible the Plusnet account isn't set up properly or BT have not completed the routing. I can't check either of those I'm afarid but I'm sure one of the PN Customer Relation Team(CRT) will spot this and check those possibilities.
Meanwhile it's possibly worth just double checking that you have the PPPoE credentials correct. The username should be your plusnet username (the one you use to login to the member centre) followed by @plusdsl.net and the password is, again, the one you use to login to the member centre https://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html . This http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml explains it a bit better.
BTW given that the DSL-3680 doesn't seem to be locked (it let you change to PPPoE and set the username/password) , I don't see why that shouldn't work fine

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pdevlin
Dabbler

Thanks MisterW, that's exactly what I thought.  I asked the support rep on the phone on Mon if there was any chance this was the case and if there was a "generic" account I could try to identify the issue, to which she replied, NO!.  I have been through the another forum post and found that under the authentication issues section, it quite clearly states to try a bt test account to illuminate a connection issue and prove an authentication issue so I'll give that a go at lunchtime.
I still don't understand why it takes so long to check and fix an authentication issue, if we took this long to fix a clients problem, we wouldn't be in business!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I asked the support rep on the phone on Mon if there was any chance this was the case and if there was a "generic" account I could try to identify the issue, to which she replied, NO!.
That's just plain wrong!, try bt_test_user@startup_domain & bt_test_user@plusdsl.net in that order. They're correct for ADSL and AFAIK they're no different for FTTC.
Post back when you've tried those but hopefully! one of the CRT will have picked this up by then.

pdevlin
Dabbler

Ok so I just tried bt_test@startup_domain and I don't get connected so I assume there's a fault somewhere???
pdevlin
Dabbler

Another update, setup laptop with PPPoE connection and direct link to fibre modem and tried logging in with by test account, error 1062 is what I get and no connection.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm just running a few tests on this now.
The account is active on our end and BT's.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah! we've got Matthew on the case now , he'll sort it. Smiley
Ok so I just tried bt_test@startup_domain and I don't get connected so I assume there's a fault somewhere???
That seems to indicate the problem is in BTs court.

pdevlin
Dabbler

Just checked the status of my ticket and it now says it has been taken off hold and sent back to BOT - FTTC Logged Faults - Auth, the next action is due on Sunday???
Surely it doesn't take nearly a week to sort a simple problem!  As poor as TT were, I was never without broadband for more than a couple of hours.  This is now becoming a serious issue as I have 2 children studying for A level and GCSE exams and need access to the internet to download and print past papers and get access to revision notes.
If this is not resolved by tonight, I will have to implement some other internet facility which I will expect PlusNet to pay for as this is absolutely ridiculous.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm disappointed Embarrassed I thought once Matthew got hold of it, he would sort out what was wrong.
Just checked the status of my ticket and it now says it has been taken off hold and sent back to BOT - FTTC Logged Faults - Auth, the next action is due on Sunday???
Actually that's probably better than it sounds, the fact that it's off-hold and back with the faults team means someone's taken some action on it. The next action due Sunday probably relates to waiting for BT to respond...

pdevlin
Dabbler

Nowhere near as disappointed as I am or my kids for that matter!  It was Matthew who updated the ticket at 1.24pm today.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It was Matthew who updated the ticket at 1.24pm today.
In that case I guess he contacted BT to get them to investigate as there's probably nothing more he can do directly, since it looks like it's their side. Problem is BT can take up to 48 hours to respond, although it's often quicker.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to see this didn't get picked up.
It's going to need a engineer to investigate further.
I've updated the fault but if you can let me know when your available I'll get that booked in.
We have tomorrow available with AM between 8am and 1pm or PM between 1pm and 6pm.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team