Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to Plusnet and lost 11Mbps over night

FIXED
h107474
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Moved to Plusnet and lost 11Mbps over night

I have moved ISPs from a local company (Call27.net) to Plusnet and overnight went from 51Mbps to 40Mbps (*1). I am using the exact same kit and just changed the username and password in my router (*2). I have had to do a few modem resets during the process of moving over and setting up a new static IP with plusnet. I am hoping the modem reboots is what has caused the drop imposed by DLM/Interleaving and is temporary but how can I know? Can someone look into this for me please?

*1   I have attached two speed tests either side of the ISP move. Unfortunately one is on a mobile over 5GHz but that is the faster one of the two so even more reason to see a clear slowdown. I didn't have any recent wired PC test results pre move. Note, any phone speed tests over 5GHz are nearly identical to the wired PC one attached.

*2   I am using a tried and tested hardware setup I have had working very reliably for years: Asus AC68U router (latest firmware) + Openreach Huawei HG612 3B (untampered, i.e. no custom firmware)

10 REPLIES 10
VinceMarsters
Grafter

Re: Moved to Plusnet and lost 11Mbps over night

First off I assume you are on an 80Mb product and not 40Mb - if not then this is probably the main reason.

I moved a week ago and lost a similar speed initially as BT do more of a reset these days. Things do pick up though - my line was stable for 4 days and then midway through Tuesday the lin resynced and I got my speed back - after the DLM has sorted itself out and decided the line is capable of faster speeds.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

There was an indication some months back that Openreach were going to abandon the practice of automatically resetting the DSLAM on migrating lines, but it all went quiet.

@bobpullen  is there an update on this topic?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

h107474
Grafter

Yes I am on Unlimited Fibre Extra so should be up to 80Mbps. It's a bit annoying having to pay the extra knowing I will only ever get ~50MBps. I'd like a middle tier option available like BT do.

So yes the sync speed looks way down. See the BT Wholesale test results attached too. 

VinceMarsters
Grafter

In 3-4 days it should automatically go back up to your previous speeds - at least that is what happened to mine this week. It is just a case of wait and see whilst the BT kit decides what speed your line should be capable of. Its a bit annoying really, especially when the BT kit should already know your line capabilities from the previous ISP, but BT have been known to do some slightly illogical things and never fail to do so when given the chance.

h107474
Grafter

That's good to hear. I had suspected as much but wasn't sure BT were still doubling down on pointless BS as have not dealt with them or Openreach in a long time. I had a good stable connection with my last ISP and never needed to involve them.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi there.

As below our tests are showing your sync rate at 49.6mbps and your circuit is on a 3dB profile.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 49.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time  
Fault Report Advised N
Estimated Line Length In Metres 768.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Looks like at one point your sync rate would've been around 41mbps because the speed profile on your account is set automatically at 41.8mbps but hasn't updated automatically following the change in speed as shown above.

This profile is largely irrelevant nowadays for the majority of connections due to the way our network routes them, but those with static IPs take a different route which is affected by the account profile. 

To summarise, I think I've fixed this for you now by increasing the speed profile on your account.

If you can reboot your router you should see a higher throughput.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Deleted. I need to read responses properly before sticking my oar in.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@MauriceC wrote:

There was an indication some months back that Openreach were going to abandon the practice of automatically resetting the DSLAM on migrating lines, but it all went quiet.

@bobpullen  is there an update on this topic?

On the contrary. I believe low level interleaving may now be applied. There are reasons an optimal profile can't always be carried across. One that springs to mind is if the CPE/router is changed as part of the migration (which is often the case). If the new kit doesn't support various parameters that are in situ, then it can cause problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

h107474
Grafter

"There are reasons an optimal profile can't always be carried across. One that springs to mind is if the CPE/router is changed as part of the migration (which is often the case). If the new kit doesn't support various parameters that are in situ, then it can cause problems."

As I said in my original post I have not installed the Plusnet Hub One as I have kept my hardware setup identical and only changed the PPPoE login when moving ISP. So the only change is the ISP side of the network.

I can say I have rebooted the modem and router this morning and have seen a speed increase as promised (46.7Mbps, see attached). Not quite back to the 51Mbps I had last week but I am happy to see a good increase on 40Mbps.

So last question: I didn't quite understand the issues/differences to my connection because I enabled the Plusnet static IP. Will this mean I am fixed at 47ish or might is creep back up to >50Mbps eventually? I do recall getting some results at almost 53Mbps on the last ISP but dont have the saved results.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @h107474

The speed profile on the line should automatically set to speed profile from our side. With regards to the speed, this can fluctuate over time, so there is a possibility you will hit 51Mbps again, but it's unfortunately not something we can guarantee as a constant.