cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved house with fibre; now very slow - contention or fault?

mxsscott

Moved house with fibre; now very slow - contention or fault?

I had fibre at my old house, in a relatively rural village and was getting a very decent speed from a cabinet ~400m away - very close to the upper bounds of what FTTC can provide (I only had the 40Mbps service, and using Ookla speedtest was always getting > 30Mbps). Simultaneous Netfix/iplayer streams - no problem. I was very happy with my upgrade to fibre from 2.5Mbps ADSL.
Last week I moved to a more urban location near a major city and the speed is ridiculously low - at least when I'm awake.
A BT speedtest result at 10pm this evening came back as 1Mbps down, 1.5Mbps up (IP Profiles say 38.72 down/2 up). There is less than 50m between me and the FTTC cabinet:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.09 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-38.72 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps

I will try another test late tonight / early tomorrow morning - and I expect I will see a much higher result.
Can infrastructure contention be this bad, or is there a fault somewhere?
2 REPLIES 2
mxsscott

Re: Moved house with fibre; now very slow - contention or fault?

And measured at 6am:
Down: 37.77 Mbps
Up: 1.83 Mbps
Ping: 37.63ms
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Moved house with fibre; now very slow - contention or fault?

You maybe suffering from being on the wrong gateway.
This issue is discussed in length on the "Capacity Issues" And "Capacity Issues continued" threads.
Check your gateway at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Myself and others have issues when using gateways end in BNG at peak times only.
Currently I'm on ptw-ag02 and I'm not experiencing any issues.
To change gateways, log onto your router and use the disconnect option. Wait 30 seconds and then connect again. Once back on-line, check the gateway. It should have changed (not guaranteed). Note down what it is and then check you speeds now and again tonight in peak times.
I now keep a log file on when gateways change and the results.
Hope this helps.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT