cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved house - How varied is DLM supposed to be?

Lostinza
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Moved house - How varied is DLM supposed to be?

Hi,

My 'down' speed seems all over the place while 'up' is consistently (at least when I've checked) >=10Mbps.

Down often drops to below 2Mbps but seen it >60. It does seem to swing wildly and at random times.

Is that normal DLM behaviour?

Thanks,

Kerryn

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Moved house - How varied is DLM supposed to be?

That all depends on what you are talking about - sync speed or data speed?

The DLM variability in respect of sync speed suggests a line fault, where as data speed test variability could point to a multitude of things, including a suspect speed testing service.  Best in the first instance to start at the beginning.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Also follow the speed issues checklist (link below).

Can you please post your router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lostinza
Grafter

Thanks @Townman .

Admittedly I used the first 4 or 5 matches on a search for speed tests. Results varied a little but were close to the figures I mentioned.

Don't suppose you have a corded phone I can borrow? 😉 We don't use the phone line at all, only have it because of the archaic requirements that we pay for it.

Below is a stats screenshot from the router (ASUS DSL-AC68U - latest firmware). Haven't got to the boxes that have systems in I can leave running with RouterStats.

stats1.jpg

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

"We don't use the phone line at all, only have it because of the archaic requirements that we pay for it."

You do use the "phone" line, it is required to connect the router to the exchange without which there is no internet service.  The line needs to be maintained and repaired, which is what the "line" rental covers.  You simply opt not to use the voice service which the line offers.  You could instead use a 3/4G wireless broadband service, but these tend to cost more than a "Phone" line connected service, are often slower and less reliable.

You can obtain a basic telephone handset for about £7 from Argos.

Those router stats look fair, SNRM is a little high.  Do the router stats report error rates?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lostinza
Grafter

Well, yeah, we can argue semantics about why I need to pay separately for rental and a service I don't "use" where it could be included in the cost (makes broadband look cheaper?).

Not sure about error rates, may be possible from the CLI but can't see anything in the UI.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @Lostinza

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're getting inconsistent speeds on your line. I've run a line test from my end which has found a possible fault with the service, which has now been raised to our suppliers at Openreach.

I've created a ticket on the account for our Technical Support team to monitor and review, they'll be keeping you updated on the progress made to have the issues resolved.

You can add further comments, and monitor the ticket yourself by clicking here

- Please note, you may already need to be signed into your online Member Centre for this link to work.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Not semantics, but the reality of physics - you need some "pipework" to transmit the electrons!  You might not use nor pay for voice services over the communications line, but you do use it for data services.

Service provision has three components

1. A communications connection (aka the "phone" line)
  2. Data use service (aka broadband)
  3. Voice use service (aka the cost of a phone call)

You can never have 2 or 3 without 1 - some ISPs do shave a little off the cost of (1) or just add it on to (2) and inhibit the inbound voice service and the option to use (3).

Regardless of the use of (1) it still needs to be provided and serviced, hence it is a cost element in the package be that telephone alone, broadband alone or both services.

The use of a telephone handset is most often the quickest means of identifying the cause of poor broadband performance.  In the absence of having a handset, you will either need to wait for a staff member to run tests ... or call Plusnet support ... which is free when dialled from a Plusnet phone line.

EDIT: Post crossed with Adam's who appears to have identified a fault, which might well have been detected by a Quite Line Test.

Lostinza
Grafter

Thanks @adam945 - much appreciated.

Lostinza
Grafter

Thanks @Townman - appreciate the time and effort.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Lostinza 

A corded phone that is small enough to stuff away in a cupboard, which can be used just for emergencies or fault finding does not cost the earth, https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7187407?clickPR=plp:3:11

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Just to add for information - it is possible to have a fault on the "phone" line which results in the voice service being completely non-functional (no dial tone) whilst the broadband service still limps along.  This can occur when one of the two wires which make up the circuit becomes disconnected.  This is referred to as a 1-leg-dis and the broadband continues to work on the side which remains connected

Knowing if there is a fault on the "copper" part of the circuit is essential to getting the right engineer to attend.  There are copper "side" faults which can be discerned by listening to the line which might not be picked up by the tests run by the ISP's test facilities.  I have known "broadband" engineers to attend a fault, find out it is a "POTS" (plain old telephone service) issue and then to walk away ... needing a different engineer (with another 72 hour wait) to be scheduled.  QLTs can save a lot of time and effort.

The other reoccurring issue is that the line is terminated in the wrong property due to an in cabinet problem - on testing the line tests out OK as it is actually fine ... but it is in someone else's house.  A phone handset allows for that to be checked out (eliminated) very easily.