cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved home, problems with fibre broadband, microfilter?

lucytaylor27

Moved home, problems with fibre broadband, microfilter?

Hello,

Grateful for advice: I've moved home and taken Plusnet unlimited fibre broadband package with me. Having issues getting an internet connection on the router I've brought with me. I can plug a phone in and make a call so the line is active.

Calls with customer services have, despite some delay in activating the broadband component, reassured us that it is 'now working'. However, it isn't.

Customer Services have never mentioned what physical kit I might need between the router and the telephone socket. The old house had a socket with OpenReach written on it, the new one has the old-fashioned tel socket. I'm now thinking, based on some research, that you need a microfilter between router and tel socket. However, the advice on web is a little ambiguous on whether this just improves the connection or if the connection just can't be made without this device. 

I'm hoping that the microfilter which I'll put in tonight will just solve this issue - or am I missing something and I need to get a completely new kind of telephone socket installed?

Thanks for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
Tank1231

Re: Moved home, problems with fibre broadband, microfilter?

Hello.

I am not a professional or an expert, but I am quite certain that the microfilter acts as some form of self-installation.

This will enable you to connect your router to a classic telephone line, you shouldnt have to have a new phone socket fitted.

Hopefully someone with a bit more technical nous will chime in and wrap this case up for you, but I am confident that the microfilter will solve the issue you ar2 having.
lucytaylor27

Thanks, appreciate your reply.

I guess I will find out tonight when bought and installed! But I've got a niggling concern that the microfilter just helps to connect phone and router in parallel and cuts out interference etc. I've currently got the situation that the only connection into the phone socket is from the router - there's no phone currently attached and so I'm not sure what the microfilter is doing in this scenario.

Hmm...

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

What type of cable are you using to connect the router to the phone socket? The usual cable provided with a modem/router which is a RJ11 plug at each end will not fit a BT phone socket. The microfilter has a RJ11 socket and a BT phone socket so both can be connected and it also filters the phone connection so that the broadband does not interfere with phone calls. With the correct connector it is possible to use a router without having a filter but then obviously the phone cannot be used in that case.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @lucytaylor27, welcome to the community Smiley

It looks like you seem to have sorted this as now have an active connection, but if you are having any issues please just let us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
lucytaylor27

Thanks Laura, and others, for your posts. Indeed now connected.

I think the lesson learned from my side is not to assume that physical kit can just be transferred between houses and expected to work. A microfilter was required to adapt the master socket, even though it wasn't being shared with a phone. Maybe just a simple cabling issue.

However, I think the feedback to PlusNet is that when transferring the account - and the router - between houses, the customer services person should run through a checklist of things which are required to be in place for the service to work. It took a bit of research and a trip to BandQ to get this sorted.... it wouldn't be difficult for the CS person to run through a set of questions, e.g. what kind of telephone plug in the new house? Does it have two ports? etc etc. Maybe this is on your site somewhere however?

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi lucytaylor27,

For future reference the kind of guide you are suggesting is already on the PN website.

It can be found by following the links on the webpage below:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides

Regards

Richard