cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved from Unlimited Fibre to Fibre Extra - Upload speed changed but not download ? Profile issue ?

FIXED
jstallan
Grafter

Moved from Unlimited Fibre to Fibre Extra - Upload speed changed but not download ? Profile issue ?

Hi,

Noticed this morning that I'd been changed over from the 40/2 to the 80/20 product which was a nice surprise! The upload speed has definitely changed (for the better) but the download speed hasn't (is worse in some cases). Could this be a profile issue ?

Phone exchange:LEIGH ON SEAEstimated line speed:74Mb (This may vary between 55Mb and 74Mb) - Checked on 2017-08-12 15:10:31Current line speed:80 Mb

Also noticed on the Thinkbroadband quality monitor that I seem to be experiencing some packet loss maybe (red along the top) ?

19 REPLIES 19
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Moved from Unlimited Fibre to Fibre Extra - Upload speed changed but not download ? Profile issu

What download and upload speeds you getting when you run a wired speedtest?
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jstallan
Grafter

Re: Moved from Unlimited Fibre to Fibre Extra - Upload speed changed but not download ? Profile issu

18Mb up and 30Mb down.  

Modem shows connection at 21MB up and 75Mb down

jstallan
Grafter

I'm also starting get a few RESYNCs in the mornings (between 2 am and 9am) and I never had this before I placed the upgrade order. Can some tell me is my upgrade has actually happened ? Prior to the upgrade order (weekend) my line was very stable and there wasn't any 'hanging RED' 

After.JPG

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

My tests are showing a potential issue. Mind raising this to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know once you've done that?

Cheers,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jstallan
Grafter

thanks - I have just done this...   Noticed my line resynced around the timing of your post - assume that you did this

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The line test I completed may have dropped sync. It looks the troubleshooter has reported a fault through to our suppliers, can you let us know how your speed looks within 72 hours?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jstallan
Grafter

Thanks. Will this also pick up the 'hanging red' marks in the screen shots I provided earlier ? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's likely related to the speed issues. It looks like our suppliers sent the fault report back to us after they completed a line test and found no problems. Testing your line again is showing quite a number of errors so I've sent the report back to BT.

Our faults team will follow up via this ticket once we have more info.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jstallan
Grafter

Thanks. Something has definately happened on my line today and in the last 24 hrs there has been at least 8 resyncs. download and upload performance has not improved.

tbb.JPG

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The blue/yellow spike around 12am can be seen in a number of Plusnet BQM graphs, it's present in mine as well but didn't cause a resynch.

jstallan
Grafter

I resynced around 23:48, so just before that spike...  

I'm starting to get a bit miffed with all this as it's only happened since I agreed to upgrade, prior to that,  my line was rock steady (and no hanging red bits!)..

For the resyncs, MyDSLwebStats emails that I get are saying (if this helps) "Reason: 1 Remote Defect Indicator/DLM"

WWWombat
Grafter

@jstallan wrote:

I'm starting to get a bit miffed with all this as it's only happened since I agreed to upgrade, prior to that,  my line was rock steady (and no hanging red bits!)..

It'll come as no surprise to you that one is perhaps the cause of the other.

On the old speeds, you were under-utilising the capability of your line. Every frequency tone being transmitted will have carried less data, and been "easy" for your modem to demodulate into digital bits.

Now the line is trying to carry more data, each frequency tone needs modulating in a more complex manner to carry the extra bits. It appears that your modem is having a hard time to demodulate those correctly. Perhaps there is some noise or interference that didn't affect the "easy" modulations much, but does affect those more "complex" modulations. The best way to think of it is that, on the lesser speeds, there was twice as much margin for error (or more).

Given the tests that Plusnet has carried out, it looks like there is a fault on your line that wasn't severe enough to affect you when running at lower speeds, but is severe enough to affect you at the higher speeds.

Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jstallan
Grafter

I know what you are saying but why do Plusnet suggest I should get such a high speed then ? Surely the 'pre-tests' that are run should give an indication as to what I'll get post the upgrade. The stress tests that are run should provide an indication if there are going to be issues.

My Account says this 

Estimated line speed:74Mb (This may vary between 55Mb and 74Mb) - Checked on 2017-08-12 15:10:31

If it said 55Mb as the line speed I'd probably have stayed on the 40/2 service, but it didn't. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Plusnet rely on the data provided to them from BT. You can check for yourself at http://dslchecker.bt.com/