cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved from Unlimited Fibre to Fibre Extra - Upload speed changed but not download ? Profile issue ?

FIXED
jstallan
Grafter

Re: Moved from Unlimited Fibre to Fibre Extra - Upload speed changed but not download ? Profile issu

So how do you (or PN) know if there are 'bridge taps' or 'line conditions' ? 

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Moved from Unlimited Fibre to Fibre Extra - Upload speed changed but not download ? Profile issu

Fix

I can see a agent is working your fault now and will be updating you shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jstallan
Grafter

There's a definite improvement in the line although I'd like to think it could do a little more. I think given all the resyncs it's had over the past week it needs a little time to bed down and gain a period of stability.

Thanks for the help.

WWWombat
Grafter

@jstallan wrote:

I know what you are saying but why do Plusnet suggest I should get such a high speed then?

You should take the range figures seriously - you could be anywhere in the range. In fact, the range represents the range between the 20th percentile and 80th percentile on similar lines. In other words, on lines the same length as you have, 20% get below the bottom of the range, 20% get above the range, and 60% get within the range.

Most of the variation in speed comes from a thing known as crosstalk, which is interference from other FTTC subscribers. There's nothing BT can do about this, and the effect is essentially random - except crosstalk is likely to go up over time, so speed is likely to go down. The amount of crosstalk is not really known, so the "pre-test" has to come up with a range.

Some of the variation comes from faulty lines. Some degradation in the insulation of the cable, or in the joints, can allow unwanted interference to enter the line (either extra crosstalk, or from other sources such as electric motors or fluorescent lights), causing worse problems to speeds.

At first, a fault might not cause much of a disturbance, and might be intermittent and hard for an engineer to detect. Eventually, the fault gets in the way enough to be detectable, and fixable.

When speeds are bad enough, they are usually caused by faults. And are often fixable. Intermittent, early-stage faults might be hard to identify, and might need more than 1 visit.

If your speed is well below the range, then an ISP should book an engineer to come and fix your line. 

"But there are two ranges ..." >>> I'll answer in the next post.

@jstallan wrote:

The stress tests that are run should provide an indication if there are going to be issues.

There are no stress tests placed when just finding out the estimate. The estimate assumes you have a line working well enough, and no stress test can figure out how much crosstalk will be present until you have a modem trying to sync on the line.

A test will be run at some stage (I can't recall if it is just at installation, or if the order process runs one too), and this can test some of the properties that indicate faults, but not everything (and especially not an intermittent fault, such as one caused on windy or freezing days).

Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
WWWombat
Grafter

@jstallan wrote:

So how do you (or PN) know if there are 'bridge taps' or 'line conditions' ? 

You (or PN) don't know, but the line tests might detect something.

The bridge taps and line conditions are terms used to indicate problems that mostly occur in the in-home wiring (ie the part that is your responsibility), and rarely happen when your phone line has no extensions, and a single socket with a proper broadband faceplate.

When an engineer installs broadband, one of his main tasks is to make sure that this internal wiring doesn't affect you, and you get a "clean" service. When you do a "self-install" without an engineer, no-one knows.

The two ranges are used by different ISPs when you order. Some will guarantee your speed for the "clean" line (such as, last time I looked, Plusnet), while some only guarantee you the "impacted" line value (last time I looked, TalkTalk did this). The difference is that the ISP will only book an Openreach engineer if your speed goes below that value (or if the line fails one of the line tests).

For this reason, I would always choose an ISP that uses the "clean" range. It might cost a little more, or it might require me to accept an engineer installation, but I'd rather have the support team being more responsive in the future.

Having seen that your line has had attention, I hope this information ends up just being filed away for future reference...

Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.