cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved from John Lewis Plusnet (direct) to Plusnet, now slower and constant drops

ant0
Dabbler

Moved from John Lewis Plusnet (direct) to Plusnet, now slower and constant drops

I'll summarise...

I was with Plusnet via John Lewis for 2 years on basic broadband service and got a solid regular 10mb connection on a guaranteed 8mb.

Moved 2 days ago to Plusnet direct and upgraded to the unlimited fibre on the basis that although the guaranteed min speed was still 8mb, the estimated speed was 11-18 and so hoped/expected faster than 10mb I was previously getting.

Since plugging in the new Plusnet router 2 days ago the fastest I've had is 6-7Mb and a lot slower a lot of the time, although my control panel states I'm achieving 8Mb, which I'm not.

Added to this during this evenings TV streaming the router has dropped the connection around a dozen times so far!

So although I was receiving a Plusnet service via John Lewis, now I've switched to Plusnet direct the service speed and quality has got much worse!?

Can anyone explain?

Also, if I'm only going to receive under 10mb I assume I can downgrade without penalty to the basic cheaper 10mb standard broadban package?
8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Moved from John Lewis Plusnet (direct) to Plusnet, now slower and constant drops

@ant0 

It’s unlikely that your problem is the change of ISP. Much more likely it’s the change from ADSL to fibre and/or hub.

What hub did you have with JL? Presumably you now have a Hub One?

How are you checking your speed, over an Ethernet cable or wireless? You need to test with an Ethernet cable to eliminate it being a wireless problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Moved from John Lewis Plusnet (direct) to Plusnet, now slower and constant drops

In the early days of Fibre, an Openreach engineer would come and install the modem and a filtered master socket.

VDSL signals are higher in frequency than ADSL, and less tolerent of poor wiring including extensions.

If you have not yet done so, log into the router, go to Advanced/Troubleshooting/Help Desk tab andcopy the details, then plug the router into the hidden test socket in yi=our master socket and compare the results. HAs the speed and attainable speed gone up?

ant0
Dabbler

Hi, checking both ethernet and WiFi and getting pretty much the same on both. Just checked just now again and getting 6.05 on ethernet.

Old router with John Lewis Plusnet was a Zytel and the new one is a PN Hub One.
ant0
Dabbler

Hi thanks, my PN account pages is stating...

Product: Unlimited Fibre
Estimated Download Range: 11 - 18Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 0.5 - 1Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 8Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 6.6Mbps [dropped from the 8mb it was incorrectly stating last night]

The other info you asked for...

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxx
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 03:48:20
6. Data rate: 1155 / 7684
7. Maximum data rate: 1155 / 8399
8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 7.0
9. Line attenuation: 13.9 / 34.1
10. Signal attenuation: 13.9 / 26.5
11. Data sent/received: 1.3 GB / 25.5 GB
12. Broadband username: xxxxxxxxxxx@plusdsl.net
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: xxxxxxxx
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: CatsCatsWiFi
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: 10:d7:b0:26:ec:2c
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

To be honest I'm considering cancelling under my 14 day cooling off period as I'm less than impressed with this, with the lack of knowledge from PN staff on my first call re the router having the wrong account/name loaded when I got it and the rediculously long phone wait for tech support.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

So were the router stats taken in the test socket or an extension?

The routername is easily sorted by a factory reset.

The 14 day thing starts from the day you ordered the service/

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Old router with John Lewis Plusnet was a Zytel 

If it was a Zyxel VMG3925 then it will work with PlusNet fibre. You will just need to change the username and password in the Broadband settings for the VDSL /PPPoE connection

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ant0
Dabbler

Taken from the master socket, which is also the only socket in the house.
ant0
Dabbler

I've now visited the troubleshooter page and submitted that so we'll see. It Plusnet can't get my connection up to at least the guaranteed 8mb then I'll be requesting a no fee cancellation. I only switched from my stable 10mb connection with John Lewis/Plusnet to Plusnet direct due to the higher estimated speed and I've ended up, presently, with a 35% reduction in speed!