Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved from BT, line reset?

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Moved from BT, line reset?

Hi,

We just moved over today from BT, does that mean that I have moved in the cabinet as Plusnet is owned by BT?

The reason I ask is that my line was stuck at 60.78Mbps on BT and has remained so on Plusnet. I had assumed it would sync and a higher rate and slow if there was an issue, one thing I have never understood, is that I am on a ECI cabinet and am usually connected via fast path without interleave but yet I still don’t sync at full speed.

Could someone check on my line and let me know if there is anything that can be done to give me a chance at getting more line speed?

Thanks 

19 REPLIES 19
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Moved from BT, line reset?

Thanks for getting in touch @Yorkshirelion

When you transfer from one ISP to another you'll retain the same port in all cases as far as I'm aware.

In some cases, the transfer will cause a DLM reset and for your line, I don't think this has happened as your current profile is "0.128M-67M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" although this won't be holding your connection speed back.

I'd recommend connecting to the test socket if you haven't already done so. Failing that I'd monitor the connection over the next 10 days to see if the speeds increase

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Thanks for the information, I’m not sure why my connection doesn’t increase from this setting, my minimum speed is 58Mbps so I’m not far off of it at 60.78. Is it possible to have the line reset to see if that increases the speed as I had assumed that would happen. 

I have tried the test socket before and it doesn’t change my speed, I have a Openreach MK4 with new wiring. 

Line stats added as attachment  

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @Yorkshirelion.

I'm afraid we can only reset FTTC lines in certain circumstances and as it stands your line doesn't meet the criteria as the profile isn't restricting the speeds you're getting

As I've mentioned above I'd recommend monitoring it for now as the speeds may increase down the line but we can't give a guarantee on this

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Ok thank you for the information,

Looking at my line stats, my maximum is 70 down and 24 up, looking at my line stats what is holding my connection back? Is it the noise margin?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Yorkshirelion,

I'm sorry that your sync speed is lower than expected and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up the cause of this from here and, as @MatthewWheeler has mentioned, the sync speed is below the top end of the connection profile so it's not the connection profile that's limiting your speed:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 60.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 296.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-67M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-07-16T16:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 59.9 Mbps 66.9 Mbps 66.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 510.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.6 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-07-29T16:01:30.819+01:00 2019-07-29T16:16:30.819+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Our suppliers have given the estimate for your line as 69.7 - 80mbps on the broadband availability checker here.

As your services went live with us today, your line is currently undergoing a ten day "training period" during which your sync speed may go up and down as the line tries to find its most stable point. We are unable to investigate speed issues during this training period but please get back in touch if your sync speed hasn't increased to at least 69.7mbps after the ten days.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Appreciate the reply and will do. 

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Hi again,

My line has indeed improved since the initial 60Mbps, not 69Mbps but close. Although I noticed that it did disconnect today;

F0F4224A-2315-4DC5-8E45-1036E2D143D2.jpeg

I’m not sure why my upload is so much better than my download with full speed and a better noise margin. What I don’t understand and I’m not complaining is why my line has no interleaving on, if it did have interleaving on would it reach higher download speeds or be more stable?

thanks

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I am shocked at the lack of support from PN on this thread.

1. There is no 10 day training period for FTTC lines.

2. Why has no one picked up on the banding applied to the line: 

0.128M-67M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

3. If the line is performing below the estimates, why has the banding not been removed or an engineer sent to sort the internal wiring if that is the issue?

@Yorkshirelion  Do you have a filtered Master Socket? Or any master socket with a test socket below a faceplate which you may have been asked to run your router from with an ADSL filter?

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have a Openreach MK4 Master Socket 5C, the wiring inside the socket is new as it was replaced by an engineer a few years ago, I don’t use any extensions or even a landline. I don’t gain anymore speed from the test socket, however I have just been leaving the router alone as to not lose any speed. I thought it was banding and it makes sense after reading your message I had not picked it up from the initial response which included the information. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Yorkshirelion  Just one more thing, does your max attainable rate increase in the test socket?

It looks like your connection may not be stable, unless you can account from the DSL uptime on your stats?

Perhaps PN could provide a Radius log of your line which may then explain the banding.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Yorkshirelion , @Mustrum

Here is a RADIUS graph:

There also doesn't seem to be any banding at play; 

Test OutcomePass

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000

DescriptionGEA service test completed and no fault found .

Main Fault LocationOK

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed68.3 Mbps

Upstream Speed20.0 Mbps

Appointment RequiredN

Fault Report AdvisedN

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapNot Detected

Radio Frequency IngressNot Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Cross TalkNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres324.7

Upstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Downstream Rate AssessmentReasonable

Interference PatternRegular Interference Observed Daily

Service ImpactRetrains Observed

Interference Duration Longest OccurrenceFrom12:45to13:00

Interference LocationUnknown

Interference Observed In Days0

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

Downstream Policing Discard Rate0.0

Customer Traffic LevelUpstream and Downstream Traffic Detected

TechnologyVDSL

Profile Name0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So does my line have some interleaving on it now, when I do a ping to say bbc it looks the same as before at 8ms, in the past when my line has had interleaving my ping increased. Still doesn’t seem very stable however;

94FDF94A-0240-40A0-9748-9AD92DF884B4.jpeg

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

@yokrshirelion,

Nope your line has no interleaving present, and you are within estimates of your line.

Please let us know here should you need any further assistance.

Thanks.

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

The reason I ask about interleaving is that in the last line test that was posted it said the following;

Profile Name0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

How do I find out why my line is disconnecting?