cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move from existing cabinet to newly installed one just metres away?

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Move from existing cabinet to newly installed one just metres away?

Hello

I am currently connected to an ECI cabinet and have reported low speeds, had engineer visit which revealed nothing.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Speed-lower-than-Plusnet-estimate-and-BT-DSL-Checker-e...

A new Huawei cabinet has been installed literally within three metres of the one my service is provided from.  Is there any way I can be moved to this new cabinet please?

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Move from existing cabinet to newly installed one just metres away?

If you read through this topic it might give a possible solution . https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Coming-back/m-p/1613407#M90106

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @vultura 

We wouldn't be able to change a customers cabinet unless it is routed incorrectly, which is a very small percentage of the time. 

Also, three meters in distance would not provide much noticeable speed increase, despite the H cabs being newer and better spec than the ECIs, the technology of both ADSL and fibre are same with distance drop offs. 

In regards to which cab you are initially connected to - we don't have a choice in this I'm afraid. We just get to place an order and then the suppliers go out and connect it to the cab the service should be routed through. 

I've seen exceptional circumstances in the past result in the cab being moved / customer moved cabs, but sometimes this has resulted in excess construction charges for the customer and it's not something I've seen done with much ease at all and more often than not the request to move is rejected.

The other option is to send a Formwise to our supplier to request this, there's a chance this will work, but honestly, it's not likely to be a big chance at all. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

minted
Dabbler

"Also, three meters in distance would not provide much noticeable speed increase, despite the H cabs being newer and better spec than the ECIs, the technology of both ADSL and fibre are same with distance drop offs. "

I disagree.
I understand Plusnet have no ability to request the DSLAM be changed but it's just not true that speeds will be the same.

I changed from an ECI cabinet to a Huawei cabinet in February 2017. This is using the exact same pair to the PCP with the Huawei cabinet being a further 2-3 meters away from the ECI.
The difference in the 2 DSLAM vendors is considerable in my opinion.

With my line the difference is around
ECI: 31Mb downstream (interleaved)
I get now
Huawei: 45Mb downstream with G.INP @ 3dB SNRM
The difference in downstream is entirely DLM related.
The upstream saw a considerable jump from 6.8Mb to 11Mb without DLM changes.

This is nothing to do with routing to the cabinet. The OP isn't asking for a change of PCP.
They are asking to be switched between DSLAMs on the same PCP which only requires a port swap.

The last I checked an ISP could request a port swap if the line was performing below estimates.
I see no reason why when this new DSLAM is live you couldn't request a port swap.
This would obviously come with no guarantee the port would be swapped to the Huawei cabinet but it's something Plusnet should have the ability to try.
vultura
Rising Star

@minted wrote:

I disagree.
I understand Plusnet have no ability to request the DSLAM be changed but it's just not true that speeds will be the same.

I changed from an ECI cabinet to a Huawei cabinet in February 2017. This is using the exact same pair to the PCP with the Huawei cabinet being a further 2-3 meters away from the ECI.
The difference in the 2 DSLAM vendors is considerable in my opinion.

With my line the difference is around
ECI: 31Mb downstream (interleaved)
I get now
Huawei: 45Mb downstream with G.INP @ 3dB SNRM
The difference in downstream is entirely DLM related.
The upstream saw a considerable jump from 6.8Mb to 11Mb without DLM changes.

This is nothing to do with routing to the cabinet. The OP isn't asking for a change of PCP.
They are asking to be switched between DSLAMs on the same PCP which only requires a port swap.

I see no reason why when this new DSLAM is live you couldn't request a port swap.
This would obviously come with no guarantee the port would be swapped to the Huawei cabinet but it's something Plusnet should have the ability to try.

Thank you Minted for your input.

Apologies to PlusNet if I was a little unclear as to what I was looking for, poor use of terminology.

Now, the question is can a port swap be requested when the new cabinet goes live (assuming it has not already)?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@vultura @minted - thanks for both getting back to me. 

Now, the question is can a port swap be requested when the new cabinet goes live (assuming it has not already)?

Let me have a chat with a few people and see what can be done. 

As @minted said - if we can get a port swap then it's not guaranteed to be to the H cab, but let's see what can be done first and foremost. 

Going to tag in @HarryB here as he has more knowledge of this internal process than myself, once I've had a chat with him I'll be able to let you know how we move forward (it wont be until after lunch when he's around - just so we are all in the loop time wise).

Thanks, 

MoR

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @vultura

So I've had a chat with a few colleagues and it transpires that an engineer would need to visit and determine if a Lift & Shift would be required. 

As far as we are aware, they would only do this is the circuit is performing below the estimates. 

The MGALS for your line is 48.1Mpbs and your router is currently registering a Sync Speed of 53Mbps - so thery might not look at doing thisshould we book a visit in. 

Thanks, 

MoR

vultura
Rising Star

@MasterOfReality wrote:

I've had a chat with a few colleagues and it transpires that an engineer would need to visit and determine if a Lift & Shift would be required. 

As far as we are aware, they would only do this if the circuit is performing below the estimates. 

The MGALS for your line is 48.1Mpbs and your router is currently registering a Sync Speed of 53Mbps - so thery might not look at doing this should we book a visit in. 

I was surprised to read the sync rate reported on your system and I doubted it, but when I checked yesterday sure enough it was 53Mbps.  Strangely it had increased at approx. 11.30 Tuesday morning, but on returning home today it is back down to 48Mbps.  The drop occurred at approx. 11.30 today.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @vultura 

I can see the drop; 

A GEA test shows a Sync Speed of 49.9Mbps ;

Test OutcomePass

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000

DescriptionGEA service test completed and no fault found .

Main Fault LocationOK

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed49.9 Mbps

Upstream Speed15.2 Mbps

Appointment RequiredN

Fault Report AdvisedN

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapNot Detected

Radio Frequency IngressNot Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Cross TalkNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres439.4

Upstream Rate AssessmentLow

Downstream Rate AssessmentLow

Interference PatternNot Detected

Service ImpactNo Impact Observed

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

Downstream Policing Discard Rate0.0

Customer Traffic LevelUpstream and Downstream Traffic Detected

TechnologyVDSL

This (whilst lower than the other day) is still within your Estimates. 

As far as I can see there isn't any error or fault present on the line at all and your circuit is performing within its acceptable limits. 

Thanks,
MoR