cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than one static IP address

mason64

More than one static IP address

Hi 

Is it possible to have more than one static IP Address? i currently have one on home boardband but i would like another as i do alot with labs and need this to test a few projects. 

Cheers

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
mason64

Re: More than one static IP address

i will add to this sorry

am on fibre and i just seen on the fourm another section for fibre sorry !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was definitely POSSIBLE, as many long time customers with legacy accounts still have /30 or /29 WAN subnets, (i.e. a block of four or eight IPv4 WAN addresses).

However it is NOW extremely unlikely that Plusnet will allow you to obtain additional static IPs on a residential account.

Until recently Plusnet still allowed a block of four on business accounts, but you had to provide justification of why you needed it, and provide evidence that there was no alternative possible using other networking techniques.  However looking at Plusnet's business account section, it looks like that option has been removed.

My suggestion is to do your "labs" using IPv6.

It is easy to setup a huge range of WAN facing static IPv6 addresses, and you will find that everything works (often better than using IPv4 as you don't have to mess about with router port forwarding or NAT).

The fact that you are doing "labs" suggests that you are interested in learning networking,  by taking the IPv6 route will also teach you forward looking relevant networking skills,  whereas using IPv4 will only teach you how things were done for the past decade but are likely to be obsolete in the next decade.

Yeah I know Plusnet don't do IPv6, but in my opinion your best option is to get a free IPv6 Tunnel Broker account with Hurricane Electric, enter the tunnel settings into your router, and you should be up and running.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

As Nibiru has said, we unfortunately no longer offer IP Blocks on Residential accounts.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet