cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More packet loss

HurgleFurgle

More packet loss

I suppose I should start by saying that I have read the other topics in the forum, seems the only way this is gonna get sorted is by making a post myself.

I've been having continual packet loss for the past 2 weeks and whilst that hasn't affected my downloads it has affected my streaming and gaming, I'd like for someone to take a look at what the issue is.

5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: More packet loss

Can you provide information regarding this?

Do you have any pathpings or a ping monitor set up?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
HurgleFurgle

I have conducted a ping test from my computer to my router and there is no problem there, no packet loss on my end but when I connect to any of my games where packet loss makes a significant difference it spikes into the hundreds. 

I've tried to use a pathping but the ping times out after my router and I can't complete the trace.

HurgleFurgle

Where is the damn support on this forum, if it's a problem on your end then make a post about it, don't just string along users and hope they'll ignore it

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Sorry ,,,, but its the weekend ,,, minimal staff around you might get a reply ,, or wait till Monday Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Bit of an update here, however it's worth pointing out that pinging Google (or any Plusnet servers for that matter) isn't recommended as both destinations rate limit ICMP or have intrusion mechanisms in place that can lead to misleading results.

A good destination to ping would be pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com and a quick way to get a snapshot view is to run an extended ping from the command line like this (best to do it wired to rule out any wifi connectivity issues):

ping -t pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

Leave it running for five or ten minutes or so and then hold CTRL and C to abort it. It should give you a nice summary like this:

Ping statistics for 80.249.99.164:
    Packets: Sent = 194, Received = 194, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 213ms, Average = 48ms

Another way to get a clearer picture is to set up a Think Broadband latency monitor here if you can. You'll need a router that can be configured to respond to ICMP/pings though (Neither the Hub One or Hub Zero can unfortunately - well, not without fiddling).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵