cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Months of random dropouts with no apparent cause?

jamessc
Rising Star

Months of random dropouts with no apparent cause?

History. Switched to fibre (to the exchange, not the property) approximately 1 year ago, no problems at all, increased speed by around 300% Approximately 6 months ago connection dropouts started, the router turning yellow and then resetting and reconnecting, at all hours of the day and night with no discernible pattern. Started with engineer appointments (currently up to NINE, yes NINE visits!!!!) all of which found no clear problem, but in any case - switched vlan cabinets (whatever that means), moved the router in the property, replaced some internal wiring, reset the SNR threshold (which was too low, causing some drop outs) replaced some external wiring, moved one of the main connecting cables for the area to a newer one, replaced a stretch of cable near the house, all of which have actually tweaked the speed up a little (it;s now approximately 400% faster than before the switch to fibre) but have done nothing to resolve the drop outs. In fact, on review, the number of dropouts is now much worse?! 10-12 times a day, at any hours day or night. They are now suggesting it's REIN interference, but nothing has changed in the property within the above time frame, there's been no discernible change outside the property within that time frame and since the dropouts happen through the night it's clearly not because of some equipment use in the nearby workshops.march dropouts.JPGmarch dropouts

It's frustrating beyond belief, and seemingly 'unsolvable'. I'm going to look a for REIN signal myself with an AM radio soon, but this really does not make any sense. I think that's covered everything, I'm posting this is the desperate hope that somebody out there might have a idea about how to resolve this maddening problem. may dropouts.JPGmay dropouts

And yes, one that DOES NOT involve a TENTH day off waiting for an engineer. I attach some records of the drop outs. My technical understanding of this situation is limited, I've already learnt far more than I ever wanted to know about internet connections as a result of this appalling situation. Any help would be gratefully received.

3 REPLIES
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 4

Re: Months of random dropouts with no apparent cause?

Is anyone else living near by having connection issues ?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 13

Hi @jamessc,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience that this fault has caused.

I can see that, due to the length of time that this issue has been ongoing, our higher level escalations team have picked this up and you have been assigned a case handler. He's provided an update on your fault today, which you can view on the ticket here. We're due a further update from our suppliers on the 16th of May and your case handler will be back in touch once we have received this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jamessc
Rising Star

No, not really. Certainly nothing comparable.