cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Months of random dropouts with no apparent cause?

jamessc
Rising Star

Months of random dropouts with no apparent cause?

History. Switched to fibre (to the exchange, not the property) approximately 1 year ago, no problems at all, increased speed by around 300% Approximately 6 months ago connection dropouts started, the router turning yellow and then resetting and reconnecting, at all hours of the day and night with no discernible pattern. Started with engineer appointments (currently up to NINE, yes NINE visits!!!!) all of which found no clear problem, but in any case - switched vlan cabinets (whatever that means), moved the router in the property, replaced some internal wiring, reset the SNR threshold (which was too low, causing some drop outs) replaced some external wiring, moved one of the main connecting cables for the area to a newer one, replaced a stretch of cable near the house, all of which have actually tweaked the speed up a little (it;s now approximately 400% faster than before the switch to fibre) but have done nothing to resolve the drop outs. In fact, on review, the number of dropouts is now much worse?! 10-12 times a day, at any hours day or night. They are now suggesting it's REIN interference, but nothing has changed in the property within the above time frame, there's been no discernible change outside the property within that time frame and since the dropouts happen through the night it's clearly not because of some equipment use in the nearby workshops.march dropoutsmarch dropouts

It's frustrating beyond belief, and seemingly 'unsolvable'. I'm going to look a for REIN signal myself with an AM radio soon, but this really does not make any sense. I think that's covered everything, I'm posting this is the desperate hope that somebody out there might have a idea about how to resolve this maddening problem. may dropoutsmay dropouts

And yes, one that DOES NOT involve a TENTH day off waiting for an engineer. I attach some records of the drop outs. My technical understanding of this situation is limited, I've already learnt far more than I ever wanted to know about internet connections as a result of this appalling situation. Any help would be gratefully received.

41 REPLIES 41
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Months of random dropouts with no apparent cause?

Is anyone else living near by having connection issues ?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jamessc,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience that this fault has caused.

I can see that, due to the length of time that this issue has been ongoing, our higher level escalations team have picked this up and you have been assigned a case handler. He's provided an update on your fault today, which you can view on the ticket here. We're due a further update from our suppliers on the 16th of May and your case handler will be back in touch once we have received this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jamessc
Rising Star

No, not really. Certainly nothing comparable.
jamessc
Rising Star

A warning to all users, 'do you proud?' - No, lie, cheat and rip you off.

I've been a customer for many years, and after many months of faulty service 'plus' net are now washing their hands of the issue and; Refuse to take the necessary action to resolve the problem, Have directly lied about the current situation. Are still charging full price for a 'service' they know is faulty, and refuse to do anything about. Refuse to agree any realistic, sensible, worthwhile solution to the problem, despite a perfectly reasonable option being available. Be warned all users, these disingenuous charlatans will rip you off without any warning, no matter how long you have been a customer.
jamessc
Rising Star

Re: A warning to all users, 'do you proud?' - No, lie, cheat and rip you off.

They are fully aware of the faulty service yet directly refuse to answer simple questions abot it. They refuse to investigate the problem further, or discuss it on any level. They refuse to offer any discount for a 'service' that they fully accept is inadequate and faulty. They only offer a 'get out of contract free' options, which costs them precisely NOTHING and removes the faulty, limited service I do have, leaving me even worse off. And this for a long term customer of more than 8 years. What an absolute disgrace. 'plus' net deserve to be ashamed of themselves, how is this 'doing you proud'?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi @jamessc, sorry to hear it's been such a hassle and that you feel we've let you down Sad

It's going to be particulalry frustrating if it turns out to be the case, but I've a suspicion I know what's contributing to your problem.

I've just pushed a software update to your router that I think might help. Your connection will have dropped again as the update was applied so apologies if you were in the middle of anything.

Let me know if it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jamessc

I can see from your other thread that you have had several months of constant connection drops, but Plusnet cannot walk on water. When you say 'they' refuse to investigate further, who is the 'they'. All Plusnet can do is report the fault to 'their suppliers' (a.k.a their colleagues in another division of BT over whom they have no control and seemingly little influence), are they the 'they' to whom you refer? I can't imagine Plusnet refusing to report an ongoing problem. Do Plusnet lie? I suspect that sometimes you can speak to an agent who is inadequately trained and under pressure to respond who will come up with bull's excrement rather than saying 'I don't know'.

Rip you off? I assume that this is because they will not discount your poor service. Isn't their option to prevent further dissatisfaction by offering you free exit from your contract the means of curtailing further unsatisfactory service?

Plusnet are far from perfect but this post does not show the full story as presented in your other thread. Hopefully @bobpullen can improve your service

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jamessc
Rising Star

Hi @bobpullen, All feelings aside, I have, as a matter of unequivocal fact, been very badly let down by the appalling excuse for service I've had to endure over the last eight months. I don't know what you did earlier but I haven't noticed anything yet. I have had to endure 13 engineer appointments, waste huge amounts of time and take time off work and still no resolution has been found, i don't believe for a moment that something as simple as a route setting could make any difference, since that would obviously have been the first thing tried. If that actually was effective, and not one member of the multitude of 'plus' net staff who've been avoiding actually resolving this issue over the past eight months thought of it, then there's going to be a whole new issue to resolve, rest assured.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It's of little condolence, but the issue I have attempted to resolve has only fairly recently been realised. Because of this, I wouldn't expect anyone to have attempted what I have throughout the majority of the inconvenience you've suffered.

Rest assured, if I have fixed your issue, then we'd much rather have taken that approach at the start ourselves. Those engineer appointments and repeat contact will have come at a pretty price to us too! Wink

Let me know how you get on over the coming days.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.
Two threads of the OP merged to keep all info and details in one place.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jamessc
Rising Star

@bobpullen hi, could you please provide a signal drop out chart for the the last couple of days (as shown in above posts)? Thanks
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jamessc,

Here are your radius logs for the last seven days:

Your connection does appear to have stabilised since @bobpullen pushed a software update through to your router, but with it being an intermittent issue it can be difficult to tell at this stage. Please keep an eye on your connection over the next few days and let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jamessc
Rising Star

Thanks @EmilyD I'm afraid after eight months of putting up with this disgraceful situation I have absolutely no doubt that I'm merely waiting for the drop-outs to start again.
jamessc
Rising Star

@bobpullen Can you please advise exactly what changes you made and why, and the date this issue was discovered? Thanks