cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modems

1cypher

Modems

How come PlusNet haven't caught up with most of the other major isp and supply all new and exciting customers with an all in-one modem/router or even charge us for postage for one.
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Modems

I was just thinking the other day.
We had dial-up internet access with a modem.
Then we had ADSL with a modem/router.
Now we have VDSL with a modem and a router.
Fortunately, following the pattern, the next technology will have a combined single unit  Smiley Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Actually we had:
Dial up with a modem
ADSL with a modem
ADSL with a modem and router
ADSL with a combined modem/router
VDSL with a modem and router
VDSL with a combined modem/router
FTTP with an ONT and router
????
godsell4
Rising Star

You missed one
ISDN with a router which switched between 64kb and 128kb when nobody was on the phone making a call
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Why can,t PN offer their existing customers the chance of having a VDSL router. Smiley Grin Crazy Kiss Roll_eyes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

......Don't forget the acoustic coupler
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: jockwav
Why can,t PN offer their existing customers the chance of having a VDSL router. Smiley Grin Crazy Kiss Roll_eyes

Maybe one of the PN staff could put an answer up for this,i am sure a lot of people might be interested. Crazy Cheesy Grin Smiley Huh
pwatson
Rising Star

PN have tested integrated devices previously and when BT withdraw the modem they supply in January next year they will have to supply a suitable device for 'wires only' installs.
Until this happens however and BT continue to supply modem, it is cheaper to install on this basis than to supply an integrated device.  How much more are you prepare to pay for your service to enable PN to supply a free integrated router?  How much are you prepared to pay for the device if it isn't free?  You can't have something for nothing!
There is, of course, nothing stopping you buying an integrated unit now if you so wish...
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

I never asked for something for nothing,i am quite happy to pay for one given the chance. Grin Crazy
I bought a Billion 8800NL,but the red power light stayed red & would not go green,so it was faulty & i sent it back. Angry
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Of course the Openreach FTTC modems aren't free either. According to the WBC price spreadsheet, the FTTC installation with an Openreach modem is £80 and the self install without is £49 £54. Don't know about bulk prices an ISP might pay, but the most basic VDSL2 modem+router devices seem to be about £60-£70, so it might not always be cheaper for an ISP to pay for a router and the Openreach modem rather than an integrated device.
Edit: Checked more recent WBC price spreadsheet. Cost for wires only self install went up to £54 on 1st June.
pwatson
Rising Star

I stand corrected - I thought the pricing was closer than that.  Embarrassed
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Personally I prefer the current setup.
Modem near the master socket and the router on the end of a long cat6 cable positioned perfectly for all room wifi. When the router was down by the socket, next to the modem, some rooms had a wifi black spot.
Let's be careful out there !
daz1107
Grafter

I agree with the previous post and have a similar set up.
Modem is in the window sill, then have a 5m cable to router (hidden under sofa) which is now in the middle of the room.
I had problems with dead spots when the router was also in the window.
deathtrap
Grafter

Why do people want their ISP to supply a modem/router ? Chances are if they did it wouldn't be future proof and wouldn't be feature packed.why because of cost,and they tend to like to be able have their own branded firmware running on it which isn't always a good thing for the customer, Non of the isp's are supplying a quality product  they favour the technicolor brand obviously because of the price per unit,
hillyfields123
Grafter

AFAIK Openreach have 'approved' very few integrated VDSL2 modem routers.