cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem with Router or Modem and Router?

ElNevera

Modem with Router or Modem and Router?

Hi All
I'm sorry for yet another 'which router' type of thread but I am undecided about what to do. The standard router I received from PN has really bad WiFi coverage. I'm not usually picky but it appears to be even worse than the woeful sky hub I had before transferring!
I'm looking to improve wireless coverage and was not wanting to spend more than £70-£57 to do it.
After trawling the threads on here I've seen that you can get a TP Link W9980 all in one solution for around £70 when in stock and I was toying with that.
However, I would really like to gain a bit of future proofing in regards to wireless and was wondering if people could give some recommendations router wise that maybe handles 8011.ac as well as 8011.n etc?
Or
Should I just buy the W9980 an be done with it?
I do require fast ethernet for the wired networking side.
Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Modem with Router or Modem and Router?

There are relatively few all-in-one solutions around, so there are relatively few experiences of them that people can relate.
On here, there are a couple of threads asking pretty much the same question:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133581.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133674.0.html
In one of those threads, I provide a link over to the Kitz forum, where you can see some more opinions.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
ElNevera

Thank you.
To be honest, i've read a lot and I think i've confused myself  Shocked
I am happy to go with a seperate modem and router solution. Would the below work?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-AC56U-Wireless-Broadband-Router/dp/B00DYT2MPK/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers...
Because it is AC will my N devices still connect?
Cheers
WWWombat
Grafter

It looks like it has an ethernet WAN port, and supports PPPoE, so it should work. I'm judging from the specs, rather than knowledge of the actual device though - but the more expensive devices seem to work just fine.
I also believe N devices will work with an AC router... but my setup is entirely N right now, so again, I'm not talking from experience there.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Hi ElNevera,
The standard router I received from PN has really bad WiFi coverage. I'm not usually picky but it appears to be even worse than the woeful sky hub I had before transferring!
I'm looking to improve wireless coverage and was not wanting to spend more than £70-£57 to do it.
We do see some good reports about the wifi performance of the ASUS routers on here.
However, have you tried changing wireless channels on the existing router first. See the guide here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml . You may find that you can improve things significantly without spending any money...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've been using the RT-N56U for 2 years & it is absolutely brilliant. It is totally reliable & the wireless performance is really impressive. Smiley Don't hesitate, BUY IT!! Roll_eyes
ElNevera

Thanks
I do like the look of the RT-N56U and I don't currently have any 8011.ac devices.
Are they easy to setup?
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Hmm i hate to say this but i have the Asus 56u, got it last month and all seamed fine. Ive noticed wireless drops recently which i honestly didnt think would happen with such a high end router. The problems are with some of our smart phones loosing connection and when my nepthews here he says he looses conection quite alot when playing on his xbox.
Does anyone know if its normal for wireless to drop off now and again ?
nilsatisoptimum
Dabbler

Quote from: St3

Yep!  Personally, I go direct wired or even homeplugs, i leave the wireless for the guests Wink
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Most definitely NOT. I have never had a problem with my Asus with a maximum of 11 devices connected at any one time.
launton
Grafter

My Asus hasn't dropped wifi either. Ever. Perhaps interference is happening from other close by routers?  I'd look for a firmware update and change the channel.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: St3

I'm currently running four different wireless access points (via mains homeplugs), on different WiFi channels and SSIDs, giving full coverage of the house and garden, and I don't ever have wireless dropouts on any of them.

As this topic is called "Modem with Router or Modem and Router?",
I practice what I preach, which is -

• Separate modem - on a UPS for stability and has the least chance of DLM interfering.

• Separate router - because I often change router settings, but never want the modem rebooted.

• Distributed separate wireless access points - because it is impractical to expect complete coverage with one device.

Having separate devices also makes upgrading or extending easier, because not only can you choose the best new component for your latest requirement, but you aren't throwing away the entire (expensive) combined system, when just one aspect changes.
Smiley
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

So you're the one degrading all the wifi channels for your neighbours Cheesy
+1 for separates even though you (usually) lose line stats; though I don't bother with a UPS (the modem would be the only thing running - can you get a 10VA model at a decent price Roll_eyes ) and I rarely use wifi, which is better than 11g throughout the house anyway.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.