cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Sync 4609 kbps but only getting 3.5 Mbps speedtest

Crickers
Dabbler

Modem Sync 4609 kbps but only getting 3.5 Mbps speedtest

Any ideas what is happening as my speed is 25% less than it could be, which is really noticeable when you have less than 5 Mbps to start with.....

Had a few issues with my connection after a thunderstorm a few weeks ago which really reduced my speed, but it's been gradually increasing again. Now After a resync my throughput has been reduced to a max of 3.5 Mbps when tested on BTW performance test, but the modem is showing a sync of 4609 kbps. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Hub One to reset the PPP link.

Could someone check my workplace profile again please?

5 REPLIES 5
Crickers
Dabbler

Re: Modem Sync 4609 kbps but only getting 3.5 Mbps speedtest

Just to add fault number 154933860 raised on Wed 2nd August and no follow up received yet.

Had high expectations for this connection based on previous good experience, but got to say so far pretty unimpressed with both VDSL and customer support.

Crickers
Dabbler

Further update from Plusnet support, no issues found on line and within BT sync estimate as expected.

However speed profile was low again as expected, after adjustment and disconnect/re-connect of Hub One speedtest now showing 4.95 Mbps.

This is the second time I've have had to contact support and get my profile adjusted, is there anything that can be done to prevent this reoccurring every time my line throws errors due to thunderstorms etc?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

It looks like the adviser that picked up your ticket, adjusted the workplace profile to your sync speed.

Except by removing* your static IP, that there isn't much that we can do to prevent delta reports updating the profile when there are changes to the sync. It should have updated itself back up to the correct speed, given time though.

*you're provisioned on the dedicated network, so with a dynamic IP you'll be routed differently and the workplace profile will have little effect on your throughput.

I hope this helps clarify things,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Crickers
Dabbler

Thanks, not quite sure I understand how fixed IP affects the service because of the the dedicated network.

So are you saying if I went back to dynamic IP allocation I would be affected less when the sync on my poor quality line fluctuates?  I know my line has issues (oxidised connection?) as the SNR margin and available sync speed increases when it rains.

Also as a point to note when I contacted Plusnet support by phone before raising a fault online I did ask them to check my workplace profile as they assured me it was fine, this was obviously not the case.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Crickers wrote:

Thanks, not quite sure I understand how fixed IP affects the service because of the the dedicated network.

Taken from this thread where I posted an explanation of why this is the case:

Why are static IP connections routed through L2TP*? 
Due to a limitation in the way WBMC Dedicated works, it's a lot easier for us to do the assignment of static IPs ourselves. This also makes it easier for housemoves and product changes while keeping the same IP address. 

*L2TP refers to the old network, where the workplace profile affects the throughput.

@Crickers wrote:

So are you saying if I went back to dynamic IP allocation I would be affected less when the sync on my poor quality line fluctuates? 

Should be.

@Crickers wrote:

Also as a point to note when I contacted Plusnet support by phone before raising a fault online I did ask them to check my workplace profile as they assured me it was fine, this was obviously not the case.

I'll review this and pass feedback on where appropriate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet