cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Reboot > Slower Speeds

JackBurton
Hooked

Modem Reboot > Slower Speeds

I replaced the Plusnet router about a year ago with a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A which is running in Bridge Mode to my firewall. After a couple of months I noticed that speeds increased slightly, performance was good and all was well.

Then about 3 months ago there seemed to be an issue in the area and the modem was rebooted as the first course of action. Rebooting the modem didn't resolve the issue, but service was restored within a couple of hours.

When the modem was rebooted, I instantly noticed that it had reconnected at a slightly slower speed. Downstream had dropped from about 67MB/s to about 62MB/s, upstream dropped by about 3-4MB/s and that's where the speeds have stayed ever since. There have been no further reboots of the modem since.

I was hoping that over time, between the kit in the cabinet and the exchange, they would determine that there are no local issues and would increase the speeds again. However, this doesn't seem to be the case.

I haven't tweaked any of the settings on the modem, and am just wondering if this is normal behaviour, should I wait longer, should I start tweaking the settings, or whether there is anything which needs to be done at the Plusnet end in order for my connected speeds to go back up to where they were.

....and whilst there might not appear to be much of a difference between 67MB/s and 62MB/s, coming from an area with Virgin Media 200MB/s, I can assure you that every MB downstream and upstream counts. Especially with two of us working from home and constantly on MS Teams and VoWiFi calls and accessing other services.

6 REPLIES 6
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Modem Reboot > Slower Speeds

Hi @JackBurton,

Apologies for the delay in picking up your post on here. Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
JackBurton
Hooked

Hi @EmilyD

Thank you for your reply.

It's not really a question about contracted speeds but more of a question about why rebooting my own [Zyxel] modem would my downstream drop from about 67MB/s to 62MB/s?

....but if this does need to be run through the fault finding process then that's fine, but I suspect that the response which will come back will be that I'm getting my contracted speed.

JackBurton
Hooked

Line stats from my modem plus some BT details attached for your viewing pleasure @EmilyD 

The BT test was run from the other end of my house away from my Wireless Access Point, I'm in the middle of the working day, and I'm not the only one in the house so the speed test is about in-line with what I would expect. However, the line stats do show the connected speed of the modem. Currently 62MB/s but prior to the reboot a few months ago it was 67MB/s.

JackBurton
Hooked

Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi @JackBurton, I would recommend raising it as a fault to see if our Faults team are able to investigate further into anything else that may have caused this.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

From my experience over many years ........

Whenever Asus issue a new firmware the router gets auto rebooted. When this happens I use the site 'speedof.me' to check my speed.

My optimum speed is ~27Mbps. More often than not, after the new firmware my typical speed is ~20 Mbps. After a couple of router mains off/on cycles I can get ~24 to 27 back again.

My theory is that the router tries to find the best routing and takes a few goes to get it right.

My low fibre speed is because I'm hampered by my estate being ally phone cable so I can't get full speed.

Let's be careful out there !