Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Bandwidth

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Missing Bandwidth

My connection is supposed to be good for 70-80Mbps. When I first converted to fibre I could sync at 82Mbps but crosstalk has reared it's ugly head and as can be seen I now sync at 76.79Mbps. This has been stable for many months and speed tests have been coming out around 70-71 Mbps with an upload of 18Mbps and latency of 10-15mS.

Sync Speed.png

The last two days or so my speed has collapsed to this:

Speed test.png

My line is very stable only dropping once a fortnight as caused by my BT router. It last reset about 3 days ago, which could be significant. I dropped the line for 15 minutes just now to see if that would fix it, hence the uptime is shown as only a few minutes.

I can go through the connecting to the test socket rigmarole but my logic says that as the line is in sync at the expected speed then the fault is external to my property.

Suggestions?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

14 REPLIES 14
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Missing Bandwidth

Hiya @Baldrick1

Line tests aren't finding any issues though I've noticed the speed profile on your account a bit low at 73.4mbps so I've nudged it up to 75.6mbps. If you do a single disconnect/reconnect in your Hub's interface you may see a small increase in speed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cr0wman
Hooked

are you sure you have crosstalk issues

maybe they did the same to you as they have done to me

see my post

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/seriously-Censored-ed-with-speed-and-customer-service/m-p/15...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@cr0wman, we've not capped your speeds. I've replied to your thread in a lot more detail.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

I also appear to have an issue,

Estimated line speed: 80Mb (This may vary between 67Mb and 80Mb) speed: 29.2 Mb

Hub One - Data rate:19999 / 79904

All speed tests used support the reported speed by pn of 29.2 Mb

The drop coincided with me running a broadband test and 12 month anniversary of my 24 month Unlimited Fibre Extra contract.

Dan

Baldrick1

@Gandalf

Thanks for taking an interest. I have now done further tests. To make sure that it isn't me I'm now plugged into the test socket with a different filter. I've repeated tests using both new (and tested) RJ11 and RJ45 cables on two different routers using different LAN ports. I've switched the wireless off on both bands and only connected one Ethernet cable at a time to make sure that there's no other users on line during testing. For all today's tests I've also left the phone unconnected.

A quiet line test is coming out fine.

As you will see from the recorded BT tests over the lat two days that BT is measuring a download speed of around 45Mbps and an upload of around 10 to 13ms.

Before this started I was consistently getting a download speed of 70 Mbps plus and an upload of at least 18Mbps.

The other thing is that my latency has leapt from 10-14ms to 40-50ms.

Thinkbroadband speed tests give this typical result:

speed 9 sept.png

Previously the TBB x1 and TBB x6 curves followed the same path, that is, they immediately rose to circa 70Mbps then remained flat. Similarly the upload went immediately to 18 then flat lined.

In case it makes any difference I am on a fixed IP address. Can you give any further insight/suggestions or is it just a case of logging a fault?

@Dan_the_Van, @cr0wman

I'm sorry that you are having problems but it would be less confusing if you started your own topics rather than clog this one up.

Moderator and Customer

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Dan_the_Van I can see we're looking into a fault re this for you as per ticket 179590148 so we'll just need to keep focusing on dealing with the dropping connection issue.

@Baldrick1 I'd go ahead and report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1

I reported the fault as suggested by @adamwalker, see Ticket 182488965. I have received a response that OR have 'cleared a fault'. This has been backed up with support information that the line is in sync at 76/20 and there have been no drops for 4 days.

The problem I have is that the line has been continually in sync at this speed with no drops (except for the Smarthub fortnightly resync and me changing the router to try to find this fault) for months and the fault is elsewhere, I can only assume upstream of the fibre cabinet. My guess is that some-one has looked at these two statistics and decided that there is no problem and declared the fault fixed. I personally cannot believe that any fault has been found or fixed as the speed test results I am getting today are no different to those when I reported the fault.

I don't know if there's any quick way of getting this looked at by a competent person or whether all I can do is continually bang on about it here until either some-one gets their brain in gear or I get fed up and make a formal complaint.

Moderator and Customer

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Baldrick1

I've had a look at everything on the ticket and I agree that they've looked at the testing and just assumed that it's resolved because the sync and line tests look perfectly fine. That said those agents weren't to know about the community post about the matter so I think lack of background probably hasn't helped matters. I'm surprised that the PTTR tests (the BT Wholesale speed tests you logged) weren't taken into consideration and they clearly show the dip in speed and the dip is much lower than your lines minimum guaranteed speed so from there it should have just been raised up.

The likelihood with a fault like this is it will go to engineer visit, but we'll see. I've updated the ticket with the tests that were missed before, made reference to this post and raised and rejected the fault too. 

Baldrick1

OK, so I've been very patient and left it another week, that's two now since the fault was officially reported.

I'm still getting unacceptable speed. No appointment has been made. In fact I suspect that absolutely nothing has been done.

If Plusnet or Openreach are waiting for one of these then please have this with my compliments. Then will you please look at my problem.

a-round-tuit.jpg

Moderator and Customer

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What exactly is the acceptable range of throughput speeds then? The image in the first post shows it was within the acceptable range according to the range given by the BT Speedtester. The old BTWholesale documentation always used to specify enormously wide ranges of throughput speeds as acceptable, but up to date documentation isn't publicly available. You might not like it, but there never were any guarantees that you'll always be able to use 100% of your line's speed all the time.

Baldrick1

@ejs wrote:

What exactly is the acceptable range of throughput speeds then?

adsl checker.png

Furthermore since I upgraded to the 80/20 service I have consistently had speeds in excess of 70Mbps at all times of the day and evening until a few weeks ago.

One thought I have had. I am on a fixed IP address. If there are any Plusnet staffers around can you please check to make sure that no-one has been tinkering with my Plusnet IP profile..

Moderator and Customer

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Those estimates are for the line rate (sync speed), not throughput speeds.

Baldrick1

Fix

There has been no communications, additions to my open ticket or response here from Plusnet staffers but the good news is that my speed has recovered to normal.

BTw_speed_23_Sept_2018.pngSpeed 22 Sept 2018.png

Fingers crossed it will stay this way.

Moderator and Customer

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Baldrick1

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I'm happy to see that the connection speed has now returned to normal. The question will remain open just in case the issue re-occurs and our faults team will re-test the service and get back to you before closing it.

Feel free to reply to the ticket and on here if it does re-occur.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional