cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mislead re 3rd party integrated router/modem use and settings

Pineapplehead

Mislead re 3rd party integrated router/modem use and settings

I have wasted 4 days of my life working through troubleshooting and faultfinding since the BT engineer enabled fibre, trying to set up an internet connection using my new Fritz Box 7490 without the use of the BT modem.
2 phone calls to PN techs. One was polite but claimed that he couldn't tell me what needed to be changed to set up the router. The other told me that it couldn't be done because all non-BT routers are incompatible with the PN system. I asked if it was a protocol issue or a jumper in the exchange but he cut across (3 times) me whilst I was talking to tell me forcefully that I needed to buy a BT Home Hub 5 if I wanted an integrated unit. He also told me that it was in the terms and conditions that I could only use PN or BT's equipment! I replied that if that was the case it needed to be explicit in the sales advertisement.
I also pointed out that PN had told me that my line would support 80/20 (confirmed by BT Broadband Availability Checker) which is why I chose the Fibre Unlimited Extra package in the first place. BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test showed a maximum ceiling of 38.72Mbps max / 2 Mbps upload............my actual results were 37.5 Mbps download, 1.84 Mbps upload and Latency 28.5..............Whaaaaaat ? He did something and told me I could expect up to 54 Mbps down and 16 Mbps up (estimated). Clearly, the line had been set up for 40/10 But 54 Mbps is still no great shakes. Even with PN operating a policy of 88% of max theoretical speed, my maths makes that 70.4 on a line capable of 80/40!!!
So I re-read the T&Cs. Guess what? No mention of any preclusion to 3rd party equipment. It appears that he lied to me to get rid of me and in so doing caused me the misbelief that not only had I got an expensive paperweight but also I was stuck with Hobson's choice of using PN's entry level VDSL router or had to pay out again for BT HH5. None of those appealed.
Further trawling of many sites later...........I eventually found which settings I needed to change and what values to set. BUT clearly this is not fair. You can't tell me that both the tech guys and the BT engineer didn't know which settings I needed to set. Their evasiveness and the intense plugging of their equipment or nothing is evidence of, at best a 'closed shop' culture and at worst a concerted effort to maintain a monopoly both are at odds with the regulator's position.
In short, less than excited about being stuck in an 18 month contract if I am lied to at the beginning of the contract period.
I have posted the settings which worked for me. I hope this is of help to any one else who has struggled so unneccessarily.
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Mislead re 3rd party integrated router/modem use and settings

Welcome to the PN forum...
It seems that, regarding the router, you have unrealistic expectations.  Practically all (if not all) ISPs will only officially support the router they supply,not because it's the only hardware that will work but because the primary reason for sending out a standard device is to make support easier.  No tech support department can be expected to know all devices.
In the case of the settings you needed, PN support staff don't need to know them as they do not need setting on standard kit.  Anyone who decides to use their own modem/router should accept that they are likely to be on their own.  Fortunately it is fairly easy to find the settings you need elsewhere, as you have in fact done.
Regarding the speed, it would seem likely that there is a fault.  Again, the benefit of using the standard kit (or at least the Openreach modem) is that it clearly splits the responsibility for resolution.  In your case you now don't know if the issue is your hardware or the line.
I'd report the speed as a fault using the checks on faults.plus.net but be prepared for being asked to use the OR modem during the investigation...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have a different thought on the speeds
In error you may have been provisioned on 40/2
The staff on here will be able to advise in the  morning
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi, can you post your DSL stats from the Fritz!Box please (http://fritz.box/internet/dsl_stats_tab.lua?)
I've been using a 7390 on a plusnet fibre connection for well over 3 years now, finding the correct connection settings initially wasn't easy but I found some posts on BT forums that helped.
I did post the settings but the thread is now rather old so not easy to find.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear of your frustrations.
Jim was right, and someone placed an order to amend your speeds last night. Has this resolved things at all?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: w23
I did post the settings but the thread is now rather old so not easy to find.

After a couple of days searching (with work and other commitments in between) I've now found my old post!
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113332.msg974413.html#msg974413
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.