cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-sold a Fibre Package on the premise Fibre was available.

jacksweeney

Mis-sold a Fibre Package on the premise Fibre was available.

Hopefully I can get some help here as talking on the phone to PN has reaped no rewards.
My flatmate and I ordered an up to 80meg fibre package for our flat after checking the website and showing us that fibre was available for our property.
We received an email saying that we may receive a further email from PN saying that our order was cancelled, but to ignore this as they were currently having problems with their email server.
Received cancellation email and ignored it as instructed.
Our installation date finally came around today and my flatmate, who had taken the day off work to sit in for the engineer, rang PN to confirm everything was in order.
Turns out our order HAD been cancelled despite being told things were okay and it was just an email fault, and that all the fibre ports in the cabinet had be taken so we now are only eligible for ADSL speeds. What the hell..
Then we were told we couldn't have our line rental refunded that we payed for up front (close to £250) because it was given straight to openreach. What the doubly hell..
Why on earth would you sell a package for something and take a bunch of money you have no power to refund and then not deliver a product.
I have a good mind to ring trading standards as I feel I have been duped into paying for something I was never going to get.
They say fibre may be available for us if a port free's up but no guarantee.
What a joke.
Now just having to plump for the 17meg option as apparently it will be the same situation for anyone on the BT network and we can't get our money refunded.

If anyone has any advice, including where I stand legally in terms of being mis-sold fibre broadband, that would be much appreciated.
EDIT:
So what chenks76 says makes sense. Maybe in my stressed haste it was silly to jump to conclusions. However I did still hand over the money because fibre was being offered; had it not been available, I probably would have waited and continued to used my phone tethering plan (around 30mb) and saved the money.
14 REPLIES 14
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Mis-sold a Fibre Package on the premise Fibre was available.

you haven't been missold FTTC as such, as you don't have it and you're not paying for it.
what you do have is line rental which you paid upfront. you would have required line rental no matter which ISP or product you chose, so you're not really paying for something that you wouldn't have been paying for anyway.
Quote from: jacksweeney
as apparently it will be the same situation for anyone on the BT network

that part will be correct.
if all the ports are used up then no new FTTC installs can take place until either openreach install more, or someone leaves/cancels.
jacksweeney

right ok.. Still handed over the money based on the premise I'd be getting fibre though. I would've held onto the £250 odd and continued to use my phone's 30mb 4G internet via tethering if I had known this to be the case.
In my stressed haste, I guess it's unfair to assume I've been mis-sold something but it sure feels that way.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi Jack, sorry to hear you feel you've been mis-sold.
As much as I'd really rather not push you away as a customer, I've noticed you signed up on 28/01/16, so if you really do want to cancel, you're still within the 14 days from the day after you signed up and should be entitled to a full refund if you were to cancel today as opposed to moving forward on an ADSL package.
If you would be happy to stay with us, we should be able to proceed with ADSL orders and then place a fibre order after we've got you online to get you on fibre as soon as capacity is restored at your cabinet.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jacksweeney

Thank you Harry,
As I understand, the situation would not differ with a different provider, so for the sake of any more faff-ing, and because of your prices, we agreed we'll stick with it for now.
The gentleman on the phone could not give me any indication as to when more ports will become available. Is there any way of finding this out? And is there any way we can be automatically upgraded when more space becomes available, such as being put on a waiting list?
Like I said, my phone is currently achieving better speeds than we are likely to get on a standard ADSL connection so the sooner we can be switched, the better.
Many thanks.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

There's not really a way for us to get a set date for when capacity will be restored unfortunately as we are generally given a review date which is subject to change.
What I would suggest is getting online on ADSL first and then having us place an order to upgrade the connection to FTTC once this has been done. The order should go through to the waiters list and we'll be given review dates for capacity, followed by an estimated completion date once capacity has been restored Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Hmmm...
Line rental 'saver' is a bit of a con anyway given you can get it for £13 per month (inc. VAT) with no minimum contract period from elsewhere! (and their call changes are way cheaper too!)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jacksweeney

Quote from: HarryB
What I would suggest is getting online on ADSL first and then having us place an order to upgrade the connection to FTTC once this has been done. The order should go through to the waiters list and we'll be given review dates for capacity, followed by an estimated completion date once capacity has been restored Smiley

And this order can only be placed once we're online?

Quote from: spoon
Hmmm...
Line rental 'saver' is a bit of a con anyway given you can get it for £13 per month (inc. VAT) with no minimum contract period from elsewhere! (and their call changes are way cheaper too!)

Huh.. Probably too late at this point. Shall remember for the future. Thanks Smiley
chenks76
All Star

don't look at their broadband prices though!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why on earth not?
ADSL for £25 a month including line rental, 1 month contract. And cheap phone calls with no 'call set up' charge. As far as I can see, that beats Plusnet's price. Oh, and their customer service is superb.
Even their FTTC offering is good value at £38 a month for 38/10, again with 1 month contract and the same cheap calls and great customer service, compared with Plusnet's out of contract price of just under £32 a month for 38/2.
chenks76
All Star

those prices are "plus line rental" i would assume ?
£44pm for 80/20 unlimited FTTC is their advertised price.
£19.99pm for 80/20 unlimited FTTC on plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

if you had bothered looking their prices include line rental
NedLudd
Grafter

PlusNet is £16.99 pm line rental plus £19.99 pm unlimited 80/20 FTTC!
Which is about £7 pm less than £44 pm from Pulse?
Geoff,
York.
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: Oldjim
if you had bothered looking their prices include line rental

so still more expensive than plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That depends on what you're looking at.
As I said, their ADSL is cheaper than Plusnet's out of contract price. £25 against Plusnet's £26.98. And that's before taking into account the cost of phone calls.
But anyway, the additional price of their FTTC offerings seems to be a very small price to pay for truly excellent customer service and not being tied into a lengthy contract.