cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-sold FTTC package when moving house - not happy

FIXED
Norbie

Mis-sold FTTC package when moving house - not happy

I have been a happy Plusnet customer for years, and originally signed up in 2012 on a 38/19 package (line speed only around 50Mbps so didn't see the point paying for 78Mbps plan).

In July last year Plusnet announced that they were changing this plan to 52/9.4 which was a little disappointing as upload speed is important to me - I use VoIP, have CCTV cameras that stream across the net, do a lot of video editing (and thus uploading), and am regularly asked to work from home.

I have just moved house (only about 1 mile away!) and phoned Plusnet to arrange the move. The sales rep told me that I would get around 40Mbps download speed which I was happy with, and moving house fees were waived if I renewed on a 24 month contract which I did.

However after moving in to the new house I am shocked to see that I am in a 38/2 profile - a pitiful 2Mb upload at best (more like 1.5 in reality). This is not acceptable, it's not really any better than ADSL2!

Why was I not informed that that I was being put on to a different package? You sell two packages only - Unlimited Fibre, and Unlimited Fibre Extra. At no point was it explained to me that the "Unlimited Fibre" plan that I have had for years was different to the "Unlimited Fibre" package I have now just agreed a 24 month contract with.

I consider this a continuation of the existing service, not changing to a new package, so why was I moved to a new package without being told?

My upload speed is now a 5th of what it was prior - that's not a good way to reward a customer for loyalty!

And to top it all off, I'm now being charged a higher price... for a slower service!

10 REPLIES 10
Norbie

Re: Mis-sold FTTC package when moving house - not happy

I have tried to speak to someone at Plusnet today to see if anyone is willing to help. First by phone and told 30 minute wait, so tried online chat instead which is "quicker". 30 minutes later I was able to chat to someone who basically couldn't help at all and said I had to pay to upgrade if I wanted faster speeds.

I feel this is really unfair, I've been moved to a slower service without warning - the package is called the same thing, how was I to know there would be such a drastic change? I didn't realise I was committing to 24 months of a slower service for a higher price!

Other customers have had the same issue and been reverted back to their previous profile / package e.g. House move - upload capped

Plusnet please resolve this, it's very poor customer service.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to ask Plusnet to listen to the call where you agreed to the new contract. If no mention was made of the upload speed insist on being put back on to 55/10. There have been previous cases where this was done.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Norbie

I managed to speak to someone on the phone. I tried to insist they put me back on the package I was on before but they say it is no longer available from their supplier (so how was I able to have it before..? I'm on the same exchange!

Their excuse for not mentioning upload speed at the point of sale is its "not guaranteed" so they don't mention it at all. That doesn't sound like good reason to fail to mention it's capped at 2Mb instead of 10Mb when a customer moves house!

In the end I have been forced to upgrade to "Fibre Unlimited Extra", an even more expensive product to unlock the speed I previously had, for far less money! Very poor show.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Hopefully one of the helpful staff members, @Chris @HarryB @adamwalker @Anoush may spot this thread, and be able to listen in to your call to see what the original agent said.

However, the default script guys on the front line seem to go through the standard current product options. The reason I have not yet agreed to renew, happy with what I have, but the guys who have tried to renew me get to the bit about 2Mb upload and I say no!

Will see if something else comes along.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Norbie wrote:
I managed to speak to someone on the phone. I tried to insist they put me back on the package I was on before but they say it is no longer available from their supplier (so how was I able to have it before..? I'm on the same exchange!

Absolute spherical objects! Angry

BT sell the 55/10 product as do other ISPs.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I think if you were moving from a product with a faster upload speed but the same download speed (product speed - not the speed you will get based on your line conditions), and you did this over the phone, and Plusnet made no mention of the 2Mbps upload speed, then you were mis-sold the product.

There is no reasonable expectation to assume that the product you were getting was any different - you should have been told.

It would have been different if you had made this journey online, where the upload speed is stated (albeit not that clearly it could be argued), but in this case over the phone - not a chance.

If I were you I would very politely ask one of the staffers on here to look at this. Start a new thread if need be entitled "A question for Plusnet Staff - Please Respond" or something similar. If you get no joy within 5 days, raise a formal complaint and don't stop until it is either resolved or they release you penalty free from your contract.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @Norbie

I am really sorry to hear this.

If you private message me with your username I will be happy to investigate this for you.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fix

Thank you for your patience and for your PM @Norbie

Your account is now provisioned via our systems as Unlimited Fibre 55/10 and I've placed the modify order with BTW which should complete tomorrow. Apologies for the inconvenience caused by this.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Norbie

Many thanks for your help @Anoush, it's just a shame that this couldn't have been resolved via the go-to support options of online chat & phone support!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problems, apologies that this wasn't resolved via the usual support ways.