Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum speed guarantee

markroxxy123
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Minimum speed guarantee

My minimum speed guarantee is 20.3mb
The maximum speed achievable on my line is 18.5mb.
I get no more than 17mb
Why give a guarantee that is impossible to achieve?
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Minimum speed guarantee

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
starfry
Rising Star

Hi, if you cannot get the minimum speed of your contract, raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net. It will be investigated and if you cannot get the speed promised within 30 days  then you should get a refund. At a minimum they must offer you the right to exit your contract without being penalised.

I know, because I had the same problem. I was pleased with my outcome ( product downgrade and refund - I was on unlimited fibre extra and couldn't hit the speeds of the lesser unlimited fibre product). Hope you get the solution you need.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c...

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/ofcom-voluntary-speed-code-of-practice/

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Be aware that the speed guarantee relates to the sync speed, not the speed as measured by a speed test.  The measured speed will always be less than the sync speed.  Check the sync speed in the router stats - if that is below the guaranteed minimum then raise a fault.

markroxxy123
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s anything plusnet can do about this. The cabinet I am connected to has a maximum recorded download speed of below 20mb so no one is getting super fast broadband in my area. I live in a rural area so it is never going to be anything else unless someone invests heavily. I just think plusnet shouldn’t offer what is impossible. I am pretty much getting the maximum achievable speed available on my line, it’s just that plusnet are guaranteeing more than that.
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

The guaranteed speeds should be the speeds that are indicated by the BT DSL checker - it is usually rather pessimistic so I'd be surprised if it was above the achievable speed (before I cancelled my line my guaranteed speed was 2Mbps, but I achieved >10Mbps).

Do you have the sign-up letter for your current contract that states that guaranteed minimum speed? If so I'd register a fault anyway (it may be a fault in Plusnet's systems but at the least you could probably negotiate some compensation!).

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @markroxxy123, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having speed issues as of recent. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

markroxxy123
Rising Star

Thanks for your response. I don’t think their is a fault on the line, the issue is that the line does not support super fast broadband(over 30mb as defined by Ofcom). The maximum available speed to me is 18.5mb and I regularly get over 15mb up to a maximum of 17mb, though this does reduce to below 10mb occasionally in the evenings, which I think is to be expected. The cabinet I am connected to has a highest recorded speed below 20mb. This information is from the BT Wholesale website. I am not sure raising a fault will help? No provider can offer any better service in my area and plusnet are the most reasonably priced provider. Plusnet could probably save themselves from having to investigate faults if they knew the actual capabilities of the line in the first place. I think when my local cabinet was upgraded to FTTC, there was no improvement in line speeds compared to ADSL. I have lived at my property for 13 years and the maximum speed has always been 17mb and I have had numerous different providers both pre and post FTTC.

Regards

Mark