cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum latency increased -- why?

destin8
Dabbler

Minimum latency increased -- why?

I've noticed that the minimum latency for my line jumped up yesterday -- it can be seen in the snapshot here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/54ce310452435d9feee4ed99acad30d0-23-09-2015.html
I was wondering if there is anything which can be done to drop it back down again?
3 REPLIES 3
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Minimum latency increased -- why?

Either DLM has intervened due to line issues and activated latency or perhaps you've switched to an underperforming gateway. If it's the latter then logging out/in might put you on a better gateway. I suspect it's more likely to be interleaving though and there's nothing you can do about that except wait to see if your line quality improves again.
destin8
Dabbler

Thank you for the super-quick response! Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That looks like the kind of jump that would be caused by DLM applying interleaving (delay 7 or 8 ms) on either upstream or downstream, usually due to high error rates.
Sometimes it will revert after days/weeks/months.
Underperforming gateways or pouting usually causes significanly smaller jumps.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.