Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed

SySimple
Dabbler

Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed

Hi all,

I have noticed recently that my fibre connection speed has dropped. I am guaranteed minimum 34Mbps, however I am lucky to hit 29Mbps. Any advice/guidance on how I can escalate this with Plusnet?

Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed

Are you measuring the speeds on a wired connection? If so, it counts as a fault if your speed is less than the "Handback Threshold" on http://dslchecker.bt.com/. I assume that is what you are referring to.

I would be inclined to run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and then report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

It takes a bit of your time but makes Plusnet aware of your problem, they look at it, and gets the problem into the queue for action.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

The Handback threshold has nothing to do whether the issue can be classed as a fault or not the Handback is the speed that the lowest 10% for your area can achieve if your speeds are lower than this and openreach are unable to get the line back over that your able to leave your contract free of charge. 

what you need to look at is the figure under Low in Range A (clean) Estimate for the line, if your speeds using a Ethernet cable are lower than that figure then a Engineer visit would be granted. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

A speedtest result should not be compared with any of the estimated sync speed figures. It's the sync speed reported by the modem that should be compared to the estimate.

Otherwise, there are people with lines that are so short their low estimate is 79.9 and every speedtest they do will always be lower than that.

Terranova667
Pro

By speeds i meant the BTW IP profile I should have made that clearer my mistake.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

You shouldn't be comparing the estimate with the IP profile either!

Terranova667
Pro

that is what BTW and Plusnet go by to determine whether a Engineer visit is valid it has always been that way since i have been here going 4 years now

ejs
Aspiring Hero

If someone has told you that, it's still wrong. I think you've been wrong for 4 years. Please think about it. It really makes no sense. So if you've got an estimate of 80, and an IP Profile of 77.4, you're always going to be below the estimate and you can have endless pointless engineer visits? Of course with lower estimates, there will be instances where the sync speed is slightly above the estimate, but the 96.8% or 92% IP Profile will be below the estimate.

The estimate and MGALS is given in terms of sync speed, the highest being 80, and it makes no sense to compare it with anything else.

Also, I think you'll find the Plusnet may at first agree to send an engineer if the sync speed is below the Low A estimate, but if the visit achieves nothing much and whatever the issue is is still present, they may then decline to send further engineers if it's above the handback threshold or MGALS.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

It looks like your speeds are being banded by DLM.

I've requested this be reset for you which should go through tomorrow.

Let us know if you see a improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SySimple
Dabbler

Hi there,

Thanks for the message - why is this happening in the first place. Approximately what time will this be reset?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

There's numerous potential causes for why it might have happened so I can't give a exact reason I'm afraid.

It should go through overnight.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SySimple
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,

Did the change go through? Speeds around the same as previously reported.

Thanks.

SySimple
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply.

Measured using BTW - ethernet direct into router - approx. 28Mbps tested at different periods of the day.

It has dropped and a bit off what I was guaranteed.

I have raised a fault using a link someone else provided.....oh and yes, it is connected correctly, has power and I have re-booted a couple of time....in case the question is asked!

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Gandalf  Is this potentially another case where the DLM Management trial is not working as expected?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It looks like your line is still banded at 30mbps.

Profile Name 0.128M-30M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Our tests are showing a potential line fault:

Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue

This is likely the underlying cause of the problem, so I've raised that with Openreach now.

We'll be in touch when we've got more info.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet