cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration Lead time and other things?

jmcgough
Grafter

Migration Lead time and other things?

Just completed the online process to move my fibre connection across, so far so simple.
It is broadband only that I am moving, Fibre Extra, how long does the process take to migrate?
Not worried about installation as it will just be an exchange/cabinet jobby.
The other thing is currently I get 79994 down sync speed with BT, it has remained that was for some time.  Going through your online process it advises a max of 57Mb even though my line is currently handling the maximum.  Basically I want to know whether your will rate limit the line to the 57?  I know my line is capable of more but would rather know if it will be stuck on an ip profile that matches the estimated connection speed?
The other thing I was wondering is what effect does having a static IP attached to the line make?  Will it just automatically attach itself as soon as my router connects or do I need to make some adjustments to my router?
Finally seeing as the fibre extra is "truly unlimited" I assume there is no slowdown or throttling of any ports.  Basically all traffic is treated equally like it is with BT? Do I need the Pro addon? Your support pages are incredibly muddying, on the one hand you say you dont traffic shape and everything is unlimited but then "traffic prioritisation" is in place to assign a place in the queue.  Which is it, you either don't traffic shape at all or you do?
Than
John  Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Migration Lead time and other things?

Hi and welcome.
You will get an Email from us shortly with the migration date.
The new speeds you achieve should be in the region of those you already get. If you get more than 57, we won’t cap you (unless you purchase the 40/20Mbit service)
You don’t need a static IP, but should you want one you can have one for a one off fee. If you do purchase the static IP, you will be automatically assigned the same one time you connect.
Pro add on maybe useful for gamers on ADSL, but personally I would not use it on fibre (or at all as I’m not a gamer).
We don’t shape traffic, however priority is given to VOIP and streaming services over peer to peer services.
I hope that helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: jmcgough

It is broadband only that I am moving, Fibre Extra, how long does the process take to migrate?
Not worried about installation as it will just be an exchange/cabinet jobby.
The other thing is currently I get 79994 down sync speed with BT, it has remained that was for some time.  Going through your online process it advises a max of 57Mb even though my line is currently handling the maximum.  Basically I want to know whether your will rate limit the line to the 57?  I know my line is capable of more but would rather know if it will be stuck on an ip profile that matches the estimated connection speed
John  Smiley
The Migration won't involve BT Openreach  sending an engineer to your home or to the street cab, It's done by BT Wholesale remotely, pretty much in the same way that your line rental is transferred between CP's In case you aren't already aware Plusnet did/do charge a whopping £50 fee for a install that doesn't happen/isn't required,Unlees you take plusnet line rental as well,Their "suppliers" (aka BT wholesale)  reduced  the migration fee for FTTC to FTTC migrations back in November last year to £11.00  they also changed the min term contract terms for ISP's for FTTC>migrations  from 12mths to 1 month  where the customers had had FTTC for 12mths or over, but unfortunately ISP's are under no obligation to pass on these changes to their customers However some have started  passing on the savings on the migration fee's by offering free migrations  for those who have fttc already ,
As for your sync speeds these should  not be affected  if you have ordered the same product speed 80/20,  the IP profile shouldn't change either  Static IP, unless you wish to host your own server such as team speak  or similar then there won't be any real benefit to you, migrations can take upto 10 days , although  could be only a few days as no engineer is needed as you already have the BT modem
jmcgough
Grafter

Thank you for the responses, I much appreciate it  Smiley
@deathtrap I know costs and minimum terms had changed, however trying to reason with Plusnet is hitting a brick wall.  I wouldn't be bothered if it was £25 or so and an 18 month contract but they are actually gaining not just from my broadband only, but also through activation when the cost doesn't even reflect the actual born by Plusnet.
Maybe an email to customer services?
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: jmcgough
I know costs and minimum terms had changed, however trying to reason with Plusnet is hitting a brick wall. they are actually gaining not just from my broadband only, but also through activation when the cost doesn't even reflect the actual born by Plusnet.
Maybe an email to customer services?
I wish you luck with that,I would be prepared to pay £30 per month  to have a service free of peak time congestion and a service without a secondary IP profile, Ofcom  get BT openreach/Wholesale to change their goalposts,But fail to do anything in the way of getting cp's and Isp's to pass on the benefits of these changes to customers Typical of a government quango that is,
All it would take is one or two to start offering shorter contracts even  if  6 or 3mths min term,  would be better than a 12 + month min term for migrations  at least some have passed on the reduction in migration charges  by offering free connection /activation for incoming migrations ,but  not Plusnet, they haven't even reduced it IMO these sort of charges should be proportionate to what they are charged, Could they be shamed into  reducing or waiving the install fee for migrations ?