Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated speed low compared to previous provider

robf365
Hooked

Migrated speed low compared to previous provider

Hello

I've recently migrated from BT over to Plusnet. 

While I was with BT I would regularly get 34mb download speed (fast.com/speedtest.net) but now it maxes out at 27mb.

Is there a valid reason for the discrepancy over the download speed I'm getting now?

Best,

Rob.

14 REPLIES 14
robf365
Hooked

Re: Migrated speed low compared to previous provider

Anyone have / had a similar issue?

Wipeout
Grafter

Yes, I’m in a similar boat, moved house and onto PN 40/10 package (new one hub), the first 1-2 weeks were solid 38mbs but now  it’s an odd day that’s back up at 38mbs, the majority of the time it’s consistsntly sat at 27-29mbs.  The previous owner had a TalkTalk 38mbs line here and they have said it was solid so I know the line is good (0.6m from exchange).

I’m keenly watching the threads of others with similar issues, albeit some of those drop massively in speed. I’ve flagged it to PN support as I suspect there is a bigger issue happening in the background that’s starting to rear its head.

Hopefully those who have flagged it will get back up to 38mbs as before.

It certainly looks like some sort of intentional congestion/slow down as it’s not always restrictive but seems to time with peak loading. I don’t get any drop outs of connection, just a 10mbs speed drop.

Hopefully all will be sorted soon when their experts take a look. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@robf365 wrote:

While I was with BT I would regularly get 34mb download speed (fast.com/speedtest.net) but now it maxes out at 27mb.

Is there a valid reason for the discrepancy over the download speed I'm getting now?

Hi Rob. What your seeing definitely isn't congestion. Your line is only connected to the cabinet at ~29mbps, so you're never going to be able to achieve speeds above this whilst it remains the case.

It could be that with BT your downstream target SNR had been dropped to 3db, which increases the speed of your line at the sacrifice of stability. When you migrate, this parameter will return to the default of 6db (although plans within Openreach to change this). Raising the target SNR will decrease the line rate by roughly the difference you're talking about. If your line remains stable, and I'm barking up the right tree, then you should see things creep back to where they were over the coming weeks.

@Wipeout wrote:

Yes, I’m in a similar boat, moved house and onto PN 40/10 package (new one hub), the first 1-2 weeks were solid 38mbs but now  it’s an odd day that’s back up at 38mbs, the majority of the time it’s consistsntly sat at 27-29mbs.

Slightly different in your case. You're connected at the maximum 40mbps. First thing I'd question is whether or not you're running these speedtests over a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, try a wired connection. Your issue could well be a wireless throughput problem rather than an issue with the Internet connection itself.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

robf365
Hooked

Thank you both for taking the time to post a reply! 

Bob - typically how long would it take for to deem my line 'stable' ?

Hope you're both enjoying your weekends

Rob.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

If the error counters on your line are within threshold for a few days then I'd expect the line to drop early hours and dip to 5db target SNR. Another day of the same, and it should drop to 4db, then 3db.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

robf365
Hooked

Thanks Bob! I appreciate you help! Smiley

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm also in a similar position where since moving to PN on 1st December, from a BT 3db profile, I still cannot get back towards 3db (mentioned in my thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Confused-by-14-day-Speed-Email/td-p/1504570 )

Will have to see what happens over the next few weeks.

Wipeout
Grafter

Hi Bob,

I fired up the wired connection and that does sit closer to 38mbs, oddly the upload is slightly slower on wired 6-7mbs compared to 8-9mbs on WiFi.

I wonder why the WiFi down by 10mbs when it was solid for the first weeks of my connection at 38mbs ,seems odd, I do get the 5ghz buzz from the one hub so hopefully it’s not affecting things.

Attached is the router info and last 2 WiFi tests.

Are the profile and SNR parameters looking ok?

Cheers Chris.

Wipeout
Grafter

Update. After some further reading on here, similar reports mention a 5ghz WiFi slow and sure enough as soon as an adjustment is made to the 5ghz WiFi setting (change to a/n rather than ac) on the router it jumps back to 38mbs consistently on a WiFi speed test, I wonder if the 5ghz holds it back, I’ll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

chipxtreme
Dabbler

I moved from BT on the 5th, i'm using my BT smart hub instead of the supplied router for obvious reasons and also not happy about the speed.

With BT i synced at 69.50mbps - was initially around 72 but lowered to 69.50 and stayed there however now i'm synching at 54.74. Speed was always constant, not once did I ever notice any slowdown.

Granted i'm still in the training period but i'm experiencing slow downs at peak times and not happy about losing 15mbps! Will this go back up because if its still like this after 10 days plusnet can shove it where the sun don't shine, i'd rather go back to BT and pay a little bit extra.

robf365
Hooked

Thanks for adding to this thread!

My line has been stable for over 14 days. Would've been longer but I plugged in the plusnet router to see if it made a difference to speed.

Is there anything Plusnet can do to get the speed back I had on BT?

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 15.01.45.png

robf365
Hooked

I have to say that I regret moving over to plusnet from BT.

Just given the hh6 a reboot, left it for 10 minutes and turned it back on only to get a lower connection speed. 

I understand that lots of people will be using the internet on a Saturday morning but to get speed test results around the 11mb mark is incredibly disappointing - I never had these issues on BT. 

Really do wish I sucked up the BT price hike.

chipxtreme
Dabbler

Well the router re-synched yesterday morning by itself and its now synching at 56.17 and up 17.20. Currently only downloading at around 2-3MB so absolutely disgusted with Plusnet so far. I used to get 8MB/sec with BT, same router, same brand new laptop which connects to router at 866mbps but now the service is [-Censored-]. Absolute dog [-Censored-]

Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@chipxtreme

I wonder if it would be better for you to start your own enquiring as they might miss your comment.

Just a thought thats all

I love hobnobs you can nibble and then take a chunk out of it
Part of life living