Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Teams video calls being dropped

FIXED
pshore
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Microsoft Teams video calls being dropped

I use Microsoft Teams all the time and used to work but a few weeks ago the Windows desktop app will no longer connect to video calls.  It connects and drops after about 30 seconds, and is repeatable every time.  This is not a bandwidth issue.

This all used to work but something has changed and I've narrowed it down the network.

Tests I've run:

* Teams works if I use a mobile hotspot connection instead of my broadband.

* Teams is working if I use the web version (the features are not as good though).

* Teams has the same issue on another laptop with a fresh install of Teams. This is connected over my Wifi and broadband.

* My bandwidth and latency are very good on broadband speed tests.  I'm the only one in the house during the day.

* I've tried a wired connection, still no luck.

I'm running the same router I always have.  An Archer VR2600.  No change to the configuration.

I have not changed anything on my Windows computer.  It's possible a Windows Update changed something but I'm not certain.

Given the Wifi Hotspot works, I'm homing in on my router or something in the plusnet network.   What can I do next to find and fix the issue?

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Microsoft Teams video calls being dropped

4 of us here using teams daily across macOS, WIndows and iOS all using video calls fine.
Also think if it was a PN wide thing there would be lots of complaints here, so sounds like something local to you maybe.

Do you have a phone / tablet you can try teams on?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pshore
Hooked

HI Dvorak, thanks for getting back.   

Same issue on Android connected to plusnet.   I just installed it for the first time on my phone to test.  I also tested this previously on another Windows device.

I'm waiting for a new Plusnet router to arrive - I just upgraded package - so I can switch router when that arrives.  But otherwise I'm out of ideas.

pshore
Hooked

Fix

Update: this is now fixed by replacing my router with a brand new Plusnet router.

My own router, while excellent when I bought it, had not had any firmware updates for the last two years so some incompatibility was inevitable.

Thanks for the tests, and arranging the line check.  BT Openreach were great, assessing the line quality, improving it slightly, and helping to eliminate causes like the microfilter and DSL cable.

Thanks for helping out with this.   Great service for a tricky problem.

Phil.