cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microfilters for Fibre Broadband

FIXED
kingellis9

Microfilters for Fibre Broadband

HI. I am in the process of changing from standard broadband to fibre broadband.  The question can I use the same microfilters or do I need different ones?  This may seem obvious to many, but as I simply don't know I have to ask the question.

6 REPLIES 6
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Microfilters for Fibre Broadband

Hi @kingellis9 

Welcome to the forums.

It was years ago since I did this, so my memory is a bit hazy. I am pretty sure the answer is yes.

However, depending on the router you are using you will probably need a new one. You will need a VDSL router, not just an ADSL router. I assume PlusNet will be sending you one.

That will come with a filter, so when the changeover happens it should be a case of just unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in. PlusNet do the authentication their side so just leave it for 10 mins.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it should be as simple as that.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Fix

The same microfilters will be fine. Microfilters simply separate speech frequencies from the much higher frequencies used by the broadband signal so that they don't interfere with each other. Although the VDSL frequencies are different to the ADSL frequencies, the split between speech and data frequencies will be the same from the filter's point of view. 

kingellis9

Thanks Corringham, I had thought that to be the case but I just couldn't find any confirmation of this on the net.  Many thanks for the reply.

kingellis9

Thanks for the reply Alex.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The best solution for VDSL is a filtered master socket. In the early days of FTTC an Openreach engineer would fit one to ensure optimum performance from your line. Alas now it is all self install.

VDSL does not like extension wiring and speeds will be lower if you have them.  PN will send an engineer if you are not getting your minimum speeds, and a filtered master socket will be fitted.

So it would be best to know what speeds you should be expecting, and keep an eye on the synch speeds once installed.

kingellis9

Thanks for the reply Mustrum.  I won't bother with a filtered master socket at present, but I will bear it mind should I have problems.