cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro disconnections (& download speed capped)

keiranc1

Micro disconnections (& download speed capped)

My fibre connection keeps on having "micro disconnections" which aparrently, according to the guys on the support number, doesn't actually register as a disconnection, yet the router drops signal  and then reconnects in about 10-30 seconds time.
This happens randomly, for no reason, and the only thing I can put it down to is the modem (BT Homreach modem) My download speed at this time was appx 16-20 Mb/s with an upload speed of up to 5
Yesterday the internet went down, and then would keep on trying to reconnect, it would stay online for 30 seconds or less, then drop out again.
I went to speedtest.net, and the download speed was 1Mb/s and upload at 2, I did a tracert to www.bbc.co.uk, and the 1st hop was at 860MS and progressively higher for the next 9 routes.
The 1st hop was lo0.14.central14.pc1-bng-03
I phoned C support, and they claim that my modem is "out of sync"
Today the connection is a lot more stable, and the speed, to put it bluntly is completely shite  Embarrassed  still 1mb d/l and 2 u/l I got more from my old supply with SKY on ADSL (I moved from them to PLUSNET because they could apparently offer a better deal)
I did a tracert, and the 1st hop has changed to  lo0.14.central14.pc1-bng-01 but the MS is pretty much how it should be for the 1st hop, the rest are pretty high. (see attachment)
I have yet to have the engineer to contact me, (between 8AM and 1PM, its now 1/4 to 12) but if his fix doesnt work and I still get 1mb d/l and 2 u/l. I will be contesting this months bill because I am not getting what I was promised in the welcome pack, even between the tolerance levels stated in peak periods
If there is a cap, I have not received notification as to why and how.

5 REPLIES 5
Wrighty11
Grafter

Re: Micro disconnections (& download speed capped)

Hi keiranc1,
Welcome to the forums.
Have had a look at the results you have supplied and you do seem to be getting a slow connection out.
When your getting these results im guessing your connected to the router with a cable?
keiranc1

Yes I am. We are literally 4 inches from the master socket and I am hard wired. the network cable has been replaced and the same problem occurs
EDIT to previous forum post/b]
I had a faulty modem causing micro disconnections.  This modem has been replaced, but these are the results from speedtest.net
The BT engineer said we are being capped, because his speed (on the BT side of things) sayd 35 d/l 8 u/l

Point being, I moved to plusnet to get away from the SKY package we were on, was rubbish
Now to be capped and were are on fibre and getting lower speeds than ADSL?
this is a joke
Wrighty11
Grafter

Hey there,
It is odd that your getting these speeds. Ive tested the line and its all clear getting 38mbps down and 6mbps up. There isnt anything on our system either which will be causing the speed reduction.
I think the next step would be to perform a speed test but connected directly to the modem. Here is a guide which may help:
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Apologies if its not the right operating system.
keiranc1

Was advised to wait 4 hours for speeds to return to "normal" as the exchange most probably noticed my modem kept on dropping connection and limited the bandwidth
I have just restarted the router, and did a speed test.

Cheesy
Thanks for the help, finally (touch wood) micro disconnections have stopped!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear it's sorted.
Let us know if you have any further issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team