cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Achievable Speed

ChrissyR
Dabbler

Maximum Achievable Speed

I was today upgraded to Fibre and am slightly confused.  Apparently there is a fault of the line which has to be looked into but I did the performance test on BTW and its showing that I have a download speed of 6.57 (which is the same as before the upgrade).  The thing that confused me is that it says that the maximum achievable speed is 10.9 when the Openreach engineer who called today said that it would be much higher.  Can somebody please explain if that is the absolute maximum achievable speed if everything was working correctly or the maximum speed available at the present time with the line fault?  If its the maximum I can expect then its not much of an improvement on what I was getting with ADSL  Sad
10 REPLIES 10
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Maximum Achievable Speed

It sometimes takes a day or two for BT to update their systems. Hopefully, one of the PN team will expedite this for you!
Geoff,
York.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your account was still on its ADSL setting because of the delays we had getting you on fibre.
I've sorted that for you now so if you reboot the router you should see a increase.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ChrissyR
Dabbler

Thanks Matthew, without wishing to sound really stupid exactly how do I reboot the router?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just turn it off and on that should do the trick.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ChrissyR
Dabbler

Please bear with me, Im so wary of losing my internet connection which Ive only had since Monday.  Do you mean turn it off  and on again with the black button on the back of the rooter or switch it off and on again at the mains power socket?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Either is fine as that would turn it off.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ChrissyR
Dabbler

Thanks Matthew, your help is much appreciated. (I am a lady in her 60s so not a technical whizzkid  🐵  I did that and then ran a speed test and it has gone up to 10.44 which is a great improvement.  Can I ask one more thing please.  The Openreach engineer who upgraded me today said that the absolute maximum speed was 80 but, because of the distance from the cabinet to my property, I would get a lot lower but he would not expect it to be below 40.  On the email Ive just received from plusnet it states that my estimated speed is 12, I am slightly confused yet again  Roll_eyes
AndyT
Grafter

Hi ChrissyR,
The maximum speed achievable on the Fibre technology for standard residential connections is currently 80Mbps, but your property would need to be fairly close to the green street cabinet to achieve that sort of speed.  I'm not too sure how the engineer came to the conclusion that he'd not expect your speed to drop below 40Mbps, as BT Wholesale estimate your average speed to be around 12Mbps, with an absolute maximum 18Mbps possible.  You can see the speed estimates for your line by entering your phone number here.  The FTTC product on the speed estimates page are the Fibre estimates.  As you'll see from that page, your current speeds are now within the estimates provided for your connection so hopefully everything is now working well for you.  Keep us updated though if you experience any further problems.
Thanks,
Andy
ChrissyR
Dabbler

Thanks for the info.  I was just going by what the Openreach engineer said to me about the speeds.  I wasnt told what speed I could expect by upgrading to fibre.  Another Openreach engineer called today to investigate the fault on the line which apparently doesnt exist, he said that there were no faults detected.  I am a bit put out by the fact that I was getting 6.7 on ADSL and, when I asked about upgrading to fibre, I wasnt given an estimated speed so I, obviously wrongly, expected it to be higher.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi ChrissyR
The original estimate we gave you when you signed up was based on the fibre service, obviously there were some issues getting you on to fibre but the estimate matches the one Andy mentioned in his previous response.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.