Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max sync speed

FIXED
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Max sync speed

The sync speed on a 40/10 service is capped at 39,999 / 9,999.

Maz attainable is what your line can cope with, in my case when I was on 40/10  it was 96/26 the same as now.

The figures on the OP's router suggests thet do not have an optimum setup/line, but PN will not send anyone out as they are syncing at the max speed for the service they are on.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Couldn't have worded it better myself, I mean I tried and I failed. Cheesy

Cheers for the input @Mustrum

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dave501
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

So my line's capped at 55/13 because I'm on 40/10 package therefore a higher sync isn't required as 40/10 is being achieved however, after reading @Mustrum post max 96/26 I'm still unsure why my max attainable is below BT line check and handback thresholds? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here guys!

Annotation 2020-02-12 185325.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To confirm your line speed is capped at 40/10 as that's the product we order from our suppliers and you're never going to be able to achieve more than 80/20 on an FTTC service even if you upgrade to fibre extra so I wouldn't worry about this to be honest, unless you order G.Fast from another provider which is a faster type of FTTC.

[edit]

Also the handback threshold for the FTTC service you're on is 60mbps, and your maximum attainable rate is above this

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@dave501 

I'm regretting opening this can of worms!

The way your line is set up makes perfect sense even on a good line, but is in conflict with @Mustrum 's experience. Maybe it depends on how the Openreach technician sets up the connection, or there has been a change in setting policy since @Mustrum  was put onto 40/10, in which case the truth is time varying.

I suggest that you just forget about it until you decide to upgrade, then see what happens.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

What @Baldrick1 said. Also ignore my edit from my previous reply, I was looking at the max attainable that @Mustrum said but I know realise he was referring to his own. It's been a long week! Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dave501
Aspiring Pro

I'd like to thank all who've contributed to this discussion. As I see it, my line is capable of 55/13 so well within my 40/10 package. I'm not one for chasing speed and fortunate to have a relatively trouble free connection so thanks again for your input and know where to come if things start going pear shaped….😱

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@dave501  In my opinion the max attainable rates displayed by modem/routers is an arbitrary figure calculated by the modem which does not take all the various line parameters into acount so is not to be relied on. Your line is certainly not capped at 55/13 and would probably achieve sync speeds close to 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up but if you don't want the speed that is entirely up to you.😀 I know I would go for the best possible speed and am rather annoyed that my sync speed is only around 77Mbps, my max attainable is lower than this so is nonsense.

dave501
Aspiring Pro

@RealAleMadrid I thoroughly agree pal however, my current package is 40/10 my max attainable is 55/13 so at the moment addition speed isn't really necessary. Now if I were paying for 80/20 I'd certainly be hoping for a bit more but IMHO reliability is just as important as speed but that’s only my view. Maybe upgrading to 80/20 is when I'll find my line's true capability?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@dave501 The only way you can find what your line is capable of is to go for the fastest product available to you. The speed checker estimates 80/20 speeds and that is generally a good indication. Your max attainable figures are low but they are probably wrong and irrelevant. Your line attenuation is lower than mine, I am probaly 500 metres or more from the cabinet so you should get near 80Mbps sync.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@dave501  the DSL Checker results show what your line should be capable of, so the max attainable resuts suggest you should be doing better.

Things you can do and check for yourself include:

1. Dial 17070 option 2 from a wired phone. is the line quiet - no buzzing/crackles - if so report it to whoever you pay for your phone line if not PN.

2. Do you have a VDSL filtered Master Socket? Extension wiring can reduce max attainable dramiticaly, Openreach automaticly fitted them in the early days of FTTC, but only do so now if people have speed related issues reported as a fault. 

3. Have you tried plugging the router into the hidden test socket in the Master Socket - you will need a filter ?

If you are happy with your 40/10 service it does not matter,but if you are considering higher speeds then it is worth getting it sorted.

Baldrick1

@Mustrum , @RealAleMadrid  I think that you are missing the point. If we assume that there is nothing wrong with the line, something I agree that we will never know unless the 40/10 cap is removed, a 55/13 connection with a high SNR makes more sense than one running faster but with a lower SNR.

A connection will a high SNR will have fewer errors requiring data to be retransmitted. I agree that the faster onnection will have spare bandwidth to retransmit data so the end effect is that both arrangements will meet the 40/10 limit, however, surely it makes more sense to reduce the fault frequency rather than having to retransmit data?

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  but how can we assume there is nothing wrong with the line without knowing if it is noisey or does not hve  vdsl master socket? The physical phone line is the first place to start - unless the OP has a quiet line without extension wiring issues, they will not get the best speeds. The line is good enough for 55/13, but the DSL checker shows it should get closer to 80/20!

dave501
Aspiring Pro

@Mustrum really appreciate your imput thank you...

1. I tried a quiet line test 17070, the line was clear no crackling or background noise.
  2. Our phone socket is a 5c and was fitted by a OR engineer less than a year ago, we have no other internal sockets or extensions in the property.
  3. I removed the face plate connected to the master socket, after a re-sync the stats displayed by the router were virtually the same.
  4. My 40/10 service is fine but what I don’t understand is the line's low maximum attainable figure?
  5. @Baldrick1 my understanding is, the maximum attainable is not capped or limited it's the maximum throughput a line can achieve without restrictions so in theory the 40/10 throughput cap should have no bearing, please correct me if this is complete rubbish?
Baldrick1

@dave501 

There are two relevant ways of limiting your speed. The primary control is a cap at 40/10 which is there to limit you to your contractual speed limit.

The second is ways that your synch or maximum attainable speed is controlled.  The way that we are all familiar with is for the DLM to wind the speed up automatically until either the SNR is reduced to 3dB or there is an unacceptable number of errors that need to be automatically corrected, whichever occurs first. However another possible methodology is to increase your speed until your synch speed exceeds your contracted rate and stop at this point regardless of the SNR, providing that it's higher than 3dB. This would minimise any errors that need correction.

None of the current contributors to this thread seems to know whether or not this latter methodology is what is implemented on your line or indeed even if it is now something that has been introduced by OR. I am guessing from your router screenshot that you have a Type B Smarthub 6. Is this something that is controlled by these routers, a feature set up at the DLM by OR or a sub optimal line that might need attention if you ever update to 80/20? Currently the jury is out!

Moderator and Customer