Did you mean: 

Max sync speed

FIXED
dave501
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Max sync speed

Hi all

I'm a bit stumped as to why my router max sync is that much lower than BT line check results, my max sync is even below the handback threshold? My package is 40/10 and I'm approx 285m from the cabinet

Any help/advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Annotation 2020-02-12 153422.jpgAnnotation 2020-02-10 182333.jpg

29 REPLIES 29
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Max sync speed

Your noise margin is quite high - that will reduce the maximum data rate. That may happen if there have been multiple disconnections or lots of errors (e.g. caused by electrical noise).

Your maximum is still well above your package limits, so it shouldn't affect you unless you were tinking of upgrading.

dave501
Aspiring Pro

@corringham thanks for the reply, my line has been sound no drops or un planned reboots I believe fttc use a target 6db snr. Other than crosstalk and a eci cab I cannot really see why my sync should be below BT's checker. I guess upgrading probably won't gain much so I'll stck with 40/10.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Your downstream SNR is 11.1 - so almost twice the usual 6dB target. That has happened for some reason, and will reduce the achievable speed quite a bit. Might be worth requesting a reset to see if it improves.

idonno
Champion

If you were looking at going for higher speeds then yes, it certainly would be worth looking into. Regarding the BT checker. You cut off off the bottom. What does the observed speed say? When I had a fault recently it mirrored what I was seeing.

I'm just wondering if the sync rate is set by Plusnet at a lower number simply because you won't be going any faster on your current package i.e. 40/10. And your data rate that you show is matching exactly that. So no line fault as such. Now if you were on an 80/20 package, you'd certainly have grounds for jumping up and down.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
dave501
Aspiring Pro

You're right my observed line speed does seem very similar, dunno if pn apply limits according to packages

Annotation 2020-02-12 175100.jpg

Joined pn a couple of weeks ago my snr has been 11 / 9 from day one whereas my previous isp snr was usually 6 / 7 mark.

If possible how would I go about asking for a line reset? Thanks guys….

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

I think that there"s some confusion regarding the ideal SNR. Providing that the synch rate is higher than the contracted rate, as it is in this case, the higher the SNR the better. The higher the SNR the fewer the potential errors that will require correction.

You only want a lower SNR when you are trying to aqueeze the last bit of speed out of the connection, that is, the synch rate is less than the maximum contracted rate.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dave501
Aspiring Pro

So would I be right in thinking, if my line was 80/20 the snr would be lower therefore the throughput and sync rates would increase accordingly?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for your post @dave501 and apologies for the delayed staff response. I can confirm that your data rate/sync speed is showing as capped to a download speed of 39.9mbps and an upload speed of 9.9mbps. This is restricted at wholesale level because you've ordered the 40/10 product.

The only way you'd be able to achieve more speeds than this is by ordering a higher product, because a DLM reset won't be of any benefit since you're already at the maximum the product you're on allows.

If you want to upgrade to 80/20 (fibre extra) I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632.

Let us know if you've got any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@Gandalf 

Thanks for confirming that BTw limit synch speed on the slower speed services. I’ve wondered for some times whether this logical arrangement was used. 

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I think it's more Openreach limits the speed as Wholesale just orders the product and we in turn order the product from them. I'd imagine that's also how the suppliers work out pricing between themselves, but I digress.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dave501
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf 

Many thanks for your advice. I may upgrade to 80/20 but was just curious to know why the routers max sync speed was well below BT's line estimate thank you for confirming 40/10 being the reason.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool, no problem Dave. Let us know if you need any further advice.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@Gandalf wrote:

No problem, I think it's more Openreach limits the speed as Wholesale just orders the product and we in turn order the product from them. I'd imagine that's also how the suppliers work out pricing between themselves, but I digress.

Ah, I’m still not clear on this. 

What I was getting at is:

Is the synch speed on a 40/10 service deliberately capped to say 55/13 in order to maximise the line SNR and hence minimise errors, or is it that the line is left for the DLM to maximise the speed by reducing the SNR until the limit is reached.  Then the data rate is capped at 40/10.

The former indicates that the OP’s, line is working as expected. The latter, that it’s currently fine for the service provided but would need looking at if the contracted speed was increased.

Am I overthinking this in my search for knowledge and/or just being a pain asking awkward questions!.

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As far as I'm aware on a 40/10 service the sync speed will be capped at 40/10 through the product we order. I'm not sure how it's capped, I'd imagine that the SNR is adjusted to a certain level to not allow more sync speed than the ordered product.

Haha definitely yes to your edit. 😁

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet