cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket change no longer required when moving from ADSL to FTTC?

KevH
Rising Star

Master Socket change no longer required when moving from ADSL to FTTC?

Many moons ago when I moved from ADSL to FTTC I had to have the master socket changed (in the days of BT providing a modem) before I could use the new service.

I've just arranged for my MIL to move from her terribly slow ADSL package to one of the new unlimited fibre/phone packages (saving her money in the process and hopefully giving her about 36/9 compared to 2.4/0.8). During the signup call we were told that there would be no engineer visit required - just plug the new router in and off you go. Have things changed now so you can use an old master socket? Finally, does the new router need to be plugged into the master socket (it isn't in a convenient place) or can it be plugged into any of the phone extensions which are in more suitable places?

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Master Socket change no longer required when moving from ADSL to FTTC?

Providing you have a standard master socket into which you can plug a phone then no changes are required but read on...

For the best speed you need to plug the router in to the master sockets via a microfilter unlessyou already have a filtered master socket with two outlets, one for phone and the other for DSL then away you go.

If you have a single outlet and all the extensions are hard wired into the master socket then for the best performance you need to fit a filter to every extension, regardless of whether they are used. If the extensions are plugged in to the master socket then they can be plugged in to the microfilter phone outlet with no other filters required. 

If the extensions are hard wired then the best solution is to fit a filtered faceplate, which BT allow you to do, Wire all the extesions in to the filtered phone output. That way again you will get a neat job, the best broadband performance and no additional filter requirements.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Good advice but I did wonder one thing...

Why do you need a microfilter plugged into an extension that is not used?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why do you need a microfilter plugged into an extension that is not used?

You don't, it doesn't help, it does not solve the problem.

Baldrick1

@ejs

Fitting a filter on all extensions was the advice when ADSL first started being rolled out. I've always assumed that the filter provided a terminating impedance to try to stop reflections on the line and hence prevent signal deterioration. Is it now acceptable to leave unfiltered extension cables open circuit without them affecting broadband speed? I'm not doubting your post, I'm just trying to improve my understanding. As I now use wireless phone handsets I've taken the easy option and disconnected all my extensions at the master socket.

Moderator and Customer

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

My understanding is that if you have a filter at the end of an extension that is not used, the VDSL2 signal will still be present to the end of that extension whether the filter is present or not.

Obviously the best solution is to have one central filter at the master socket, and your modem plugged in there (or use a good quality twisted pair to run to your router location - that twisted pair would not be connected through the filter). In that case the VDSL2 signal will not go to any of your extension wiring, and that should help things as you don't want the VDSL2 going all around your extension wiring if its only phones that are plugged into them.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@jafreer is correct.

Filters block the DSL signal on their phone outlet. Extension wiring that has the DSL signal going down it is a problem unless the modem is at the end of it.

Baldrick1

OK I think I now have my head around this. I always thought that microfilters had a terminating resistor on the dsl output. Looking at on line circuit diagrams I can see that this is not the case, the filter only has a low pass filter for the phone and the dsl output is straight through. In addition, as I previously thought,, open circuit telephone extensions that are carrying dsl data can affect performance.

So my conclusion is that if a property has extension wiring that is hard wired into the master socket then for the best performance a filtered faceplate should always be fitted. This will automatically transfer the extension wiring to the filtered phone output and eliminate this problem. In addition no additional filters are required.

Moderator and Customer

KevH
Rising Star

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm going to buy a filtered faceplate and then run some cat 5 from there to a more convenient place in her house.

Cheers

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Also worth considering CAT6 cable instead of CAT5 if you are buying some (although if you already have CAT5 lying around, I would use that).

Also worth purchasing a cheap twisted pair cable to run from your socket (that the CAT5/6 terminates at - if you are fitting one) to the modem rather than use the provided flat pair (twisted is better). If not fitting a socket and just running the CAT5/6 directly into the modem, then obviously ignore this.

Of course, the above is a 'belt n braces' approach that may or may not make a difference, but since it won't make it any worse, and can improve things, these small and cheap adjustments are worth doing.

Baldrick1

Cat 5e is fine for mere mortals who don’t want to go above 1GHz. The problem with some Cat 6 cables is that they are larger diameter and hence have a larger bending radius. This can make them difficult to install in a house neatly.

Moderator and Customer