cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket Set up

niccameron6
Dabbler

Master Socket Set up

Hi I'm new to Plusnet, I'm moving from Sky broadband to Plusnet Fibre.  The problem I have is when Open Reach put in my master socket they put it in the attic room that we have converted into a spare bedroom/office.  My TV and Android box is in the lounge on the ground floor.  Will I need to get my Master socket moved down stairs so that the Hub one is nearer to my TV/Android box to get the full benefit of the fibre speed? Also I have an engineer appointment for Monday 3rd May 8am-1pm, does he need into the property?  I would be grateful for any help x

10 REPLIES 10
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Master Socket Set up

Welcome to forums

It should be a self install but it's possible OR engineer will visit if he has any problems - happened to me in January

My Hub One is downstairs but wi-fi connection works well in upstairs bedroom

You can get wi-fi extenders if there's a problem

niccameron6
Dabbler

Thank you Nadger.  I was wondering if I asked the OR engineer if he could move it while he is there, do you think they might?

nadger
Rising Star

No harm in asking if OR engineer does make contact but all you may hear is that you've been transferred.

Have you received and installed Hub One?

niccameron6
Dabbler

Yes I received it yesterday, but it says to wait until the fibre is up and running before installing it, will it be okay to install it before Tuesday?

nadger
Rising Star

As you're currently using Sky adsl it might be best to wait.

I installed mine on receipt but was already on Plusnet adsl so not a problem with username and password - set up was automatic using laptop and ethernet cable

niccameron6
Dabbler

Thank you again, for your help

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

It's technically outside the engineer's remit so if they need to be at your property, I'm not too sure if they'd move your master socket.

That being said, we have placed your order as a self install.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
LucasArnott

Hello, @niccameron6 I hope your problem is fixed .I have a good experience using GSX Android Tv media hub which I bought from “Gostreamer” without any failing in installing this product. The installation video helps me a lot.Hope it helps you.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

With having your home office at the other end of the house to your tv you will never have your router in the ideal position for all users. I have a similar set up and I very successfully stream full hd video to an Amozon Fire tv via power-line network units.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

niccameron6
Dabbler

Hi I have got my set up working but needed to have a static ip address as my sky on demand wouldn't work with plusnet. I do have a problem with the wifi, it isn't very strong signal but I manage. In hind sight I wouldn't have moved to plusnet for fibre as the strength of their wifi is very intermittent. I might have to buy a signal booster for downstairs. X