Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket Not Working

psheraton
Grafter

Master Socket Not Working

Hello 

I have noticed that my master socket isn't working the only way I can get it to work is by removing the faceplate and using the socket behind it.

It is a OpenReach Mk3.

How do I get BT out to fix it?

Cheers

Paul 

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Master Socket Not Working

What do you mean its not working?

Do you get dial tone on the Master socket, or on the hidden test socket?

Do you get broadband on the Master Socket or the hidden test socket?

Do you get your phone servive from BT or PlusNet?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The Openreach responsibility ends at the test socket so if you get them out there's a chance you will be charged. I believe that the Mk 3 is the version held on with screws rather than the later that's clipped together. Your easiest/ best bet is to buy a filtered faceplate and fix it yourself. Here is an example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-ADSL-NTEFACE-SOL-ADSL-Faceplate-Splitter/dp/B003H6GUNA/ref=sr_1_1?i....

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Rhyn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

psheraton
Grafter

What do you mean its not working?

Do you get dial tone on the Master socket, or on the hidden test socket? ( I have not tried I only have a cordless DECT phone)

Do you get broadband on the Master Socket or the hidden test socket? (Only broadband on the hidden test socket) no broadband on the Master Socket.

Do you get your phone service from BT or PlusNet?  (Phone Service from PlusNet)

psheraton
Grafter

BT / Open Reach installed the faceplate so clearly if they didn't fit it correctly then it would be logical it's there fault.

Baldrick1

I assume that it's a filtered faceplate we're discussing? If it is then it's most likely that you have a faulty filter. I'm not aware that BT are obliged to fit one rather than  the single socket type but I could be wrong. If it's not the filtered type fitted then you will have a far neater solution if you change it for one and not use microfilters. Either way if you want the hassle of trying to get Plusnet/BT to change it free of charge rather than spending a few pounds and doing it yourself then that's your choice. 

Incidentally @Rhyn is correct, you need the VDSL version. I was not aware that Solwise make two types

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Paul.

I'm sorry to hear your master socket isn't working.

If your service works in the test socket, then our suppliers would charge for a call-out if we were to arrange an engineer visit. I'd recommend either leaving your equipment in the test socket (As this is the best place for your connection).

Alternatively you may be able to purchase a new faceplate yourself.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
psheraton
Grafter

It's working again now I had the ADSL filter plugged into the phone socket haha

So now the Master Socket is working..the only problem now is that I have noticed my download speeds are very slow..

Even if I plug an ethernet cable into the back of the router. I am getting only 16.5 MB Download and 5.74 upload. 

I was getting nearly 30MB download and about 5.74 upload ! have I been hit by some kind of bandwidth cap?

Baldrick1

So it is a faulty filter. Ths slow down is probably due to the DLM winding up the SNR due to all the disconnections that have been introduced. This should automatically improve if you leave it connected for a few days.

In addition, microfilter performance is variable. There are some unsubstantiated reports that those integrated into the faceplate give faster speed, so back to my original suggestion.

Moderator and Customer