cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket Advice

krf45
Hooked

Master Socket Advice

I posted this 4 hours ago, its not listed and I do not know why so reposting.

Usually we keep the router in my son's room, next to his desktop as the rest of us use laptops/tablets etc, it has the bonus that four of his "wired" devices can hook up direct, some of which have no wi-fi option built in.

We have never used a master socket, its nowhere near anything that needs a connection in any home we have lived and while improved, wi-fi is still not a like for like replacement for a wired connection with Ethernet, so, on reading I've seen people suggest 'homeplug' accessories for traditional broadband but have also seen people suggest it will not be good for fibre connection speeds.

Its all come up again because we are switching from broadband to fibre with plusnet in the next fortnight.  Over the last year and a half with plusnet the connection drops fairly regularly, (we realise this is probably on BT), we have also noticed the last month or so, since BT claimed the cabinet was now fibre enabled, our speeds have dropped by a fairly significant margin on tradition broadband, from about 9 down maximum, to 6 down maximum. 

Basically, were looking for advice in how to set this up to be reliable, and with the best speed available to us with nothing on our end being a possible cause from intermittent speeds, drops or the likes. 

Additional:  I dont know if any of this helps so adding.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 66.5 49 19.9 13.8 40.4 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 53.8 30.2 17 7.8 25 Available -- -- Yes --

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7.5 Up to 1 6.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U              
VRI N              
NTEFaceplate N

5 REPLIES 5
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Master Socket Advice

I'm no expert on this.

It could a filter which has died, the first thing to try is swapping them (if you have some spares) around and trying the master socket with a wired connection, with just one device. This is to rule out it being a problem within your property. If you don't have the problem anymore then it is something in there, otherwise I guess it'll be outside.

Yes hassle - but it saves you being hit with an engineer bill if it is found to be inside your property.

I am sure someone from PlusNet can post a RADIUS graph to check how bad it is.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If you have a modern Master Socket there will be a "test" socket behind the faceplate. Use this for testing as it eliminates all internal wiring. As previously stated, test should be done using a wired connection.

The following PlusNet support pages detail how to do a test.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/how-to-test-your-broadband-speed/

Using this "logs" the results on the OpenReach system so that if you raise a fault then they can review the results to see if anything is flagged.

Brian

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks @bmc forgot to mention that.

So disconnect everything and try the test socket, wired - if you still have the problem, you've done all you could to be confident it is a problem outside. If you are ask PlusNet to arrange an engineer visit.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

You really need to locate the fibre modem router next to the master socket. It's well worth the pain to install a Cat5 or Cat 6 Ethernet cable from there to your son's room rather than relying on wireless or Powerline devices. This way you will always get full bandwidth to his room without any further hassle. You can then install an Ethernet Switch, which costs about a tenner, in you son's room to distribute the Ethernet to other equipment.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

How did it go in the test socket?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.