cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket 5c connection going loose

markdj

Master Socket 5c connection going loose

I have the latest master Socket 5c with the split faceplate with phone and modem connection.

When my internet is working perfectly I get 66mbps down and 12 up.

But after a few weeks I'll notice that the daily speed tests on my Google WiFi are showing a slowing down of the internet speed.

The first time this happened I contacted plus net and they tested line, said it was a problem in the building etc etc, you'll pay for it, etc.

Over the weekend, I opened the box and looked at the wires. It seems they are just a push fit of a 2 wire connection and also a 3 wire connection at the front. I disconnected and reconnected this and tested the line speed. Suddenly, my speed was better and within 15 minutes it was back up to speed again.

Now this has happened again this evening and I would really prefer if the connections were a screw connection or something more substantial.

Is there any way to make the connection more positive? I can't see any way to push the wire into the v of the socket to make it more secure? At present the wire goes right through and is supported by the clear plastic on both sides but it's obviously still not a good reliable connection.

Thanks for any help.

Mark
8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Master Socket 5c connection going loose

What you really need is an IDC puch down tool such as this.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-40417-Punch-Down-Tool/dp/B000Q5KLN0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=U...

You can sometimes find cheap plastic versions. If you try to bodge it there's a risk of bending the contacts and wrecking the plate. It it's definitely the incoming cable then it's on the BT side of the interface and they should fix it fot free. The problem is that they might claim that you have strained the cable and charge.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The NTE5C is a tool-free design using those cam-lock connectors, no IDC tool can be used.

Baldrick1

I stand corrected. What's thrown me is the OP stating:

I can't see any way to push the wire into the v of the socket to make it more secure? At present the wire goes right through and is supported by the clear plastic on both sides but it's obviously still not a good reliable connection.

This suggested to me that the wire needs staking into an IDC connector. @markdj  Have you definitely got a NTE 5c socket with a clip on faceplate? The cables are locked into these with camlocks, which incorporates a locking lever. The faceplate on the older models are held on with two screws and the incoming cable uses IDC connectors.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/02/a-quick-look-at-bt-openreachs-new-nte5c-master-socket....

Moderator and Customer

markdj

Yes, it's definitely a clip on front plate. 5c mark4.

And the fact I can't use any tool to help is driving my insane, it's a terrible design to hold the wires imho.

Maybe the wires to my house are thinner than normal but whatever the issue, it's unreliable.
Baldrick1

@markdj 

Are you opening the camlock before inserting the wires? You may need to remake both cables. See if this helps, note the way the red part swings out. http://www.davefrydoes.co.uk/install-an-new-style-nte5c-bt-openreach-etc-telephone-master-socket-rep...

Moderator and Customer

markdj

Of course I'm opening the connector before fitting the wire, not an idiot LOL, no offense taken.

As I say, the connection speed slows over a month or more and then I open connector, check wires and close it. There just seems to be no positive way to make sure the wire doesn't bend up when it's being pushed down into the "v" and I think that's the issue. I so prefer the older type of connector that you could use the idc tool on.
Baldrick1

@markdj wrote:
Of course I'm opening the connector before fitting the wire, not an idiot LOL, no offense taken.

If you follow this forum you will find that sometimes it is the 'bleedin' obvious once you pointed it out' that's the issue. 

Moderator and Customer

markdj

I just Google searched the master Socket 5c and saw a couple of posts on here so thought, hey I'm on plus net, let's post in the community, oh, I already have a log in from when? 🤭.

Appreciate the replies and that is a good reference link for the 5c socket.

Hope everyone has a great day anyway. Great weather to do things outside 😎