cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive upload speed drop?

spudy12
Grafter

Re: Massive upload speed drop?

Following up to my previous post, as suggested by Adam I plugged a computer directly in to the openreach modem. I ran a few speed tests but the upload speed remained at the reduced speed.
So i think that rules out the modem
davidwalker900
Grafter

i sorted out my problem it was my bt home hub was doing low upload speeds now mine is back up
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@davidwalker900
Thanks for letting us know, it's always worthwhile trying to rule out the router being the problem if at all possible.
@spudy12
Thanks for testing the connection direct to the modem, it's a good diagnostic step to go through. I've seen that you've created a fault ticket with us and we've got the note you added to it last night. We'll get back in touch once we've done some further tests.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
spudy12
Grafter

@Chris Thanks for the update
spudy12
Grafter

Response from plus net people but it appears you have ignored everything I stated and just run a test on the line.  Sad
The date that I (think) I have pin pointed the drop down to is the 25th - 26th of October. The Results for those are on my phone. That was over WIFI and I was still getting a higher upload speed of 2.4mb/s. Looking back at speed test results from even further back (JUNE 2014) I was getting upload speeds of over 5mb/s so it appears to be a progressive drop over a longer period than I initially thought.
Just and FYI:
-These are results from my phone connected to my home wifi.
-I have confirmed they were taken on my network by looking up and confirming that it was a plus net IP and not someone elses or mobile internet.
Please can someone take a proper look into this, not particularly happy with the bog standard response I got. Really sounded like you didn't bother to read anything from above.
spudy12
Grafter

I have also been running the think broadband ping monitoring tool and the results are below. I do not remember so much yellow or red
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: danludlow
I have been losing uplink speed for some weeks. 3 Engineer visits so far over 3 weeks, always a reset restores the speed, and then it drops away over days (clue there?). The first engineer said that there were about 470 faults showing on my socket (a Mk2 fitted when Superfast installed) and he replaced this with a mK3. After a reset, speed returned, Normally this is about 50 Down (48-52Mbps) and between 13 and 17Mbps UP. Over the next fortnight the speed deteriorated, Down to about 34Mbps, but UP to about 2.7Mbps.
I reported a fault and by the time the engineer came (last Thursday, 27th Nov 2014) my uplink speed was down to .78Mbps, slightly slower than ADSL and ADSL2 had been. He checked the line and said there faults appearing like rain on his test meter, which he showed me, and I saw being added like £1000's to our national debt. "Its interference" he stated with authority. Out came a tranny and round and about he went listing for buzzing hotspots, occasionally shaking his head. I turned off our mains isolator, the tranny more or less fell silent, but he still recorded line faults at the same sort of rate.
"We need to get a REIN guy in", he said, and rang HQ on my landline (Vodaphone doesn't work in our part of the world and BT rely upon Vodaphone for delivering test results), but the REIN guy was 60 miles away looking for interference in Sussex. He reset our connection, back came the speed, and he left. Early the next morning there was a tap on the window (bloody plumbers!) and there was the REIN guy. He checked our line, replaced the MK3 socket with another one "just in case". Disconnecting us at our socket, and at the cabinet showed not line fault seemingly. Driving the route showed no interference, he tested our cabinet connection and said he'd load it up to see if it stayed good, which it did.
With no REIN fault, his job was done, and his boss pulled him off the job, but not until he'd reset our connection and checked that service was back up to normal. He said that we'd see the speed drop off again in all likelihood, because nothing had been done that would correct a fault. He was right, because the Uplink speed is dropping by about 7-10% per day on a downward slope. PlusNet still have the job open and at time of writing have not had a report from BT about Thursday's visit (I suspect that they don't know about Friday's RIEN man "officially" without that report).
I have spoken to PlusNet today but the guy chasing BT wasn't at his desk.
So there you have it, slowing Broadband, being throttled back automatically by equipment, one has to ask why it is allowed or designed to do that and why then, a fault isn't being addressed?
After many successful months something has changed for the worst, or been changed. I can't help feeling that someone knows and is hoping that the customer doesn't. that could be PlusNet, it could, and perhaps probably is, BT. What else can one think?

Further to this, another Engineer visited today. Line checked clean, but there were faults clocking up on his test equipment, the worst on the Uplink seemingly. Disconnecting the line apparently showed no faults at the cabinet, but attaching several hundred metres of line (open-ended, I think) saw the faults return. Upshot is that I've been switched to a new port in the cabinet and speed seems to have returned with stability. I say seems because it still in the learning phase, but there don't appear to be the faults showing up. Hazarding a guess that a close lightning strike about 4 weeks ago may have affected the port I was attached to (after the strike there was a power cut, and whilst the property power returned after a minute or so, broadband from the cabinet took about 10 minutes to come back).
spudy12
Grafter

Thanks for the info, glad you got yours sorted.
Have an engineer coming tomorrow so I will mention this if he fails to find an issue!
Cheers
dick:quote
spudy12
Grafter

Engineer has been. Back to my normal speeds!
Thanks Plusnet  Smiley
FYI: Turned out to be that the Open Reach modem was faulty and causing the issue
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Great news! Thanks for letting us know Smiley
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.