cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive upload speed drop

spudy12
Grafter

Massive upload speed drop

Recently had a call from plusnet saying my contract was up for renewal and that the price would be reduced with a new contract. Yay!
However i have just received an email from plus net saying

The order we placed to change your upload speed has completed.
Your upload speed is now 2Mbit/s.

Previously my upload speed was 4.5mb/s!

Why has my upload speed been more than halved? This was never mentioned when my contract was renewed.
How can i get my original upload speed back? My line can obviously support it.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Massive upload speed drop

Because Plusnet don't offer more than 2Mb on the 40Mb package any more, It should have been mentioned when you were making the new deal, one for the Customer relation team to hopefully sort out for you but i fear it might not be good news.
spudy12
Grafter

If it had been mentioned i wouldn't have renewed  Sad
Always been impressed with plusnet but to get an email like that out of the blue and to see my speeds reduced to this http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4656248150 is not a great way to end the week.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Raise a formal complaint: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22909&wizard_id=38
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
avatastic
Grafter

I thought that renegotiating wasn't supposed to change the upload speed, as long as the product stayed the same, as there would be no reprovisioning.
Either that was a lie told by CRT or whoever did the new contract ballsed things up royally and you'll undoubtedly be told that you can't be re-provisioned back on to 40/10 because that doesn't exist any more.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
deathtrap
Grafter

Well if you were not told of or agreed to the change in upload speed, it should of not been changed, if it were me, i would give plusnet a chance to revert the changes , and if they failed to do this ,i would be migrating to a different provider penalty free , you should also have a short limited cooling off period where you can cancel the new contract and revert back to the rolling monthly terms
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I renewed my contract mid August for 24mths when I added PN TV and kept the higher upload speed.
Terranova667
Pro

Quote from: deathtrap
Well if you were not told of or agreed to the change in upload speed, it should of not been changed, if it were me, i would give plusnet a chance to revert the changes , and if they failed to do this ,i would be migrating to a different provider penalty free , you should also have a short limited cooling off period where you can cancel the new contract and revert back to the rolling monthly terms

You get 14 days from when the deal was made to revert back if you no longer wish to take it, i was told this when i made my new deal at the end of August,  the problem for the OP here is Plusnet no longer have the upload he was on and such i don't know if they can put him back on it that's the issue only CRT can answer.   
spudy12
Grafter

Thanks for the information everyone.
Going to fill out a formal complaint to plusnet as I was not informed of the reduced speeds at all.
All I was told on the phone was that my contract was up for renewal, it would be slightly cheaper than before and would be for x amount of time.
It was a real shame as I have enjoyed being with plusnet and not had any problems like i did with talktalk 😕
amcclean
Rising Star

I have asked the question on the forums regarding renewal and the upload speed if I renegotiate at renewal time.  Pn staff replied to say the upload would not change just the price .

Podman
spudy12
Grafter

Quote from: podman
I have asked the question on the forums regarding renewal and the upload speed if I renegotiate at renewal time.  Pn staff replied to say the upload would not change just the price .

Podman

Thanks Podman, thats really useful to know. Do you have a link to the post?
Terranova667
Pro

Quote from: podman

Podman

That maybe the case and i'm sure the OP could use that to get out of contract should he / she wish to if Plusnet are unable to give the upload speed back.
the damage has already been done and  it's not the first time someone in support etc has gone ahead and done something before checking what the situation was first, it's how i ended up downgraded to the 40Mb package after my deal was made because the agent didn't bother to check that i was on the 80Mb he just assumed i was on the 40Mb one based on the stupidly low estimate they go by, luckily for me i was able to prove other wise and it's was sorted out. 
However it's not simple for the OP in this case i'm not even sure if it's possible for the OP to get the upload speed back as i said only CRT can answer that question. 
spudy12
Grafter

However it's not simple for the OP in this case i'm not even sure if it's possible for the OP to get the upload speed back as i said only CRT can answer that question.

I hope thats not the case but i fear you might be right.
garyw
Grafter

Hi spudy12
I've just been through exactly the same scenario. I've been on 80/20 FTTC for a couple of years. Got a call from the customer options team and was offered a new contract with a discount. I accepted on the understanding that my service would stay EXACTLY the same. I then got the same email as you got stating that my upload was being capped at 2MB. Download speed wasn't affected since I only get around 37MB down but upload dropped from 7MB to 2MB. What they actually did was downgrade me to the 40/2 product but I was not told this when I agreed to the contract. I would never have agreed to it had they told me I was being downgraded. In actual fact it was a bit of a con as the seemingly attractive price they offered me isn't even as good as the current 40/2 FTTC price being offered on the website to new customers. So effectively they re-contracted me for 18 months on an inferior product at the standard price and all I received in the way of discount was £5 a month off for the first three months.
I've spent endless hours trying to sort it out, have spoke to numerous people in CSC, Customers Options and Tech a number of times. I asked for the contract to be cancelled and for my service to reverted to 80/20 FTTC. I was told that the contract is now cancelled as I asked well within the 14 day cooling off period (it better be!) but there is a restriction on the Plusnet 'system' which now prevents customer service agents provisioning 80/20 FTTC to people who's line profile shows as below 40MB download. Even though they might, like me, want the extra upstream bandwidth and be more than happy to pay for it.
Full tale of woe and others with same problem here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143269.16.html
More info on the Plusnet 'system' restriction here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140551.256.html
Today I can see that my upload speed has been restored to 7MB but in member centre my account still shows me having Fibre Unlimited i.e. 40/2. God only knows what's going on and I still haven't had the call back I was promised. In fact I have two call backs which have yet to materialise. I think I'm going to ditch Plusnet and switch to BT's 40/10 product. Had enough of all this grief  and it looks like things are rapidly going downhill at Plusnet.
spudy12
Grafter

After many calls and emails to plus net i did get this sorted but am still annoyed it happened in the first place. It appears that it seems to be happening to a lot of other customers too
My guess is that even if they have to deal with 5% angry customers who notice they will still save money on the lower cost IP profiles for the other 95% of the customers. Shame though as its really ruined my opinion of plus net.

I do have a final question to anyone who may know the answer to this.
Will i benefit from upgrading the Fibre Extra package and getting the full 80/20 profile? If i were to try it and then decided i was not benefiting and reverted to my current package would i go down to the IP profile I am on now (20/10) or the the new plus net standard profile with the SLOW upload?